318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
Today 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
Today 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 138 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 703 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-09-2004, 04:26 AM   #1
Shay

Im interested in buying one in the near future for my 95ti. This is going to improve air flow ofcourse, but will i get some power gains too??? Anyone have some experience or knowledge with this part? Any info would be great
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:35 AM   #2
schussey

i am curious as wel...
18'' Ace Wheels • Pirelli P7000 SS Tires • Bosal Brospeed Exhaust • B&M Short Throw Kit • H&R Sport Springs • Euro Clears • cat delete • Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop • Modded Airbox • blacked out kidney grilles • Suede Headliner/A Pillars

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
schussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:52 AM   #3
DinanTi

Hey,

I do not have the High flow throttle body, but I do know a little bit. First thing you should probably know is that you need the chip. Since you have a 95 I think you can get away with out having to do the stage2 cold air intake before stage 3 (the throttle). The chip costs $199 for the engine chip and another $199 if you want the tranmission chip. The throttle will give you about 3 horsepower and better throttle response. That is just about all I know on the throttle.

If you want to know more you can call Bill Schofield, he is the guy I went to and he is also a Ti owner. He has the Dinan chip, intake, throttle and the exhaust on his Ti. The number for Bill is 410-296-7900 and that is Towson BMW in Maryland. He can probably tell you where you're local Dinan dealer is if you don't know and what you need to be able to use the throttle, also what it will do. I hope I helped you out.

"Dinan BMW Permance Without a Sacrifice"
Scotty
DinanTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:25 AM   #4
schussey

i have heard that dinan is not always the best choice to go for if your car is not under warranty. people have said that you get can other parts for just as much quality, for cheaper. kinda like buying for the name....i'm not saying this is true, just what i have heard, correct me if i am wrong.
18'' Ace Wheels • Pirelli P7000 SS Tires • Bosal Brospeed Exhaust • B&M Short Throw Kit • H&R Sport Springs • Euro Clears • cat delete • Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop • Modded Airbox • blacked out kidney grilles • Suede Headliner/A Pillars

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
schussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:53 AM   #5
Shay

Hey thanx for the info.
So there are other brands available besides Dinan? Anyone know of anyone you makes one for the 318ti (M42)???
And if I do decide to go with Dinan, will the TMS/JC chip from www.turnermotorsport.com work with the high flow throttle body? Or would I have to go with the 2 Dinan chips? Allot of questions cus the mod bug just recently hit me, thanx allot
Shay.

Old 03-11-2004, 03:55 AM   #6
DinanTi

Hey,

Sure there are other brands out there like race dynamic they make a chip but I do not think they have a high flow throttle body. I would stick with Dinan.
As far as I know you can only use the Dinan Throttle with the Dinan chip.

I do not think you would need the Dinan transmission chip it just lets you rev up higher. But I am not sure because for me I got the transmission chip and engine chip in one, since I have a M44. I think all you would need is the engine chip and the throttle body because the chip let the car know that you have the parts on the engine.

Scotty
DinanTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:38 PM   #7
Shay

Ok sweet, that great, thanks. But now another question arises... they only have, i guess stg 1 for the 95. The TMS/JC chip is just like both the Dinan chips, cus the rev limit is something like 6900-7200rpm. Whereas the later models, the chip can be upgraded to stg 3, which my car doesnt seem to have, ahhhh what do i do??? The TMS chip has better perforance gains than the Dinan chip(s) so my q's are;
1. Will both the Dinan chips combined with the Dinan throttle body be better than the TMS/JC chip with the throttle body.
2. Does anyone know for SURE if the Dinan chip is the only one compatible with the throttle body???

Thanks guys, youv helped me heaps!!!
Old 03-12-2004, 12:57 AM   #8
J!m

Vehicles

If you have a '95, I would go to Jim Conforti for a chip.

He will tailor it for any mods your car may have- including 'home-grown'.

Enjoy...
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 02:22 AM   #9
Shay

Sweeet, thanx mate. So you reckon I should buy the throttle body before the chip??? And im guessing id have to order the chip from sales rep on the phone, right?
Any advice would be great.
Cheers.
Shay.