318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,028,577 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
AutoM3otives

Default Definitive Spring Rates

Does anyone have the definite springs rates for the following sets?

- Stock
- M-Tech
- H&R Sport
- H&R Race

I tried calling H&R to ask, but the lady turned me away, telling me that they don't release that information anymore because they don't want buyers comparing springs rates with other companies when shopping for springs. Lame.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
windnsea00

Those springs are progressive so they won't have a specific rate such as a linear spring rate. I would imagine the H&R race would be the stiffest..
Old 03-18-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Panzer_M

I tried calling H&R to ask, but the lady turned me away, telling me that they don't release that information anymore because they don't want buyers comparing springs rates with other companies when shopping for springs. Lame.

that is crap..some of us..really care more about springs that how low they go.
really we should get some test springs and find a way to measure them up.
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
AutoM3otives

Quote:
Originally Posted by windnsea00 View Post
Those springs are progressive so they won't have a specific rate such as a linear spring rate. I would imagine the H&R race would be the stiffest..
Can you shed some more light on this progressive vs. linear? I always wished I was more schooled in many aspects of the car scene, guess there's nothing wrong with learning something new everyday...
Old 03-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
windnsea00

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoM3otives View Post
Can you shed some more light on this progressive vs. linear? I always wished I was more schooled in many aspects of the car scene, guess there's nothing wrong with learning something new everyday...
Progressive springs constantly adjust for the road conditions, so their "rate" would change...like springs from the factory. However, a linear spring rate is set so it can be great if you want a custom suspension but it's not as suitable for all types of road conditions.

Now the linear spring rate you buy will adjust do to placement. Technically speaking my front end with the 450 spring is stiffer since the spring is traveling with the wheel while in the rear the 550 spring is some distance from the wheel so technically it's softer. I learn my information from a good friend who is a suspension guru/major in mechanical engineering.

For most people, a progressive spring rate is fine...my setup would be considered overkill if you don't want to really feel that road.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoM3otives View Post
That's STUPID. People buy springs exactly to change the suspension characteristics and need this information to do so. Call again, sometimes working with a different person gets you the results you need.

As for linear vs. progressive, linear just means a constant spring rate, regardless of how compressed it is. That is, the spring will always push back 900lbs.

Progressive means that the spring will push back at an increasing rate. Completely settled, 800lbs, partially compressed, 950lbs, tightly compressed, 1125lbs.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:05 AM   #7
pdxmotorhead

When we spec springs for the race cars we spec lbs per inch of compression and lbs progression per inch of compression.

We do a lot of H&R springs but I never ask what they sell,
I tell them what I want,,, IE Diameter uncompressed length
and the spring rate. They ship them to me then I check
them in our spring scale.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #8
dave45056

I think this thread has been hijacked. And I'm helping.

Normal springs have a linear spring rate as in lbs/inch of travel. If the spring rate is 100lb/inch you will have to push it with 100 pounds force to make it an inch shorter... 200 lbs push will make it 2 inches shorter and so on.

Progressive springs are different. They have a non-linear spring rate. They look diffrent, too. There are coils tight together, then they get wide apart. The tight coils are a lower spring rate. They work together with the higher spring rate part of the spring intil the tight coils reach their solid height... then the "normal" coils do all the work.
This can also be done by varying the OD the coils are wound around. But the method I described above is the way most progressive springs are done.

Anyway, the question is legitimate. What are the spring rates for ti's?
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote