09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 405,218 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 09-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
StealthBimmer

Default WTB front strut brace

Anybody selling their Racing Dynamics or Hartge front strut brace? You can PM me pics and price if available. I use paypal to pay to make it easy. Thanks in advance.

My Ultimate Driving Machines

BMWCCA #369516
http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/
Best MA ti meet pics
Recommended tint place
Old 10-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
michaelhofastcar

I want a front strut brace too. Do you think we can get a group buy from just two customers? I already has an X-brace install in the bottom recently.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
michaelhofastcar

If you notice, there is a WTB posting from Lem0n (Boston) in August also looking for a front strut brace. Should we contact him to see if he is up for a group buy?
Old 10-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
Bluebimma

I might be in for a group buy.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Old 10-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
sublimeti

I would like to join in a group buy also, but it would have to be the one of the two u mentioned.....Hartge or Racing Dynamics.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
HuGo

strut bar is a strut bar. I dont think brand matters in this case. I bought one for like 20 bucks. The bar is strong as hell. I think i have the same one Dusten has.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
sublimeti

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI View Post
strut bar is a strut bar. I dont think brand matters in this case. I bought one for like 20 bucks. The bar is strong as hell. I think i have the same one Dusten has.
I cant agree with u more, but i would like to keep my upgrades within the same group of manufacturers. It's just an anal thing about me i guess. I have the hartge spoiler, pedals, and e-brake. I have the Dinan wheels, chip, and soon exhaust and intake. I just dont want to have 9 different manufacturar names all over my car......personal choice.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #8
StealthBimmer

I think we got a member that is going to start working there in a couple of weeks. Maybe he can get us a good deal on the Racing Dynamics front brace. Let me check around to see any vendors can give us a group buy. Spread the word and see if we can get more people to join the group buy. You know the more the better the price becomes!

My Ultimate Driving Machines

BMWCCA #369516
http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/
Best MA ti meet pics
Recommended tint place
Old 10-05-2006, 09:01 PM   #9
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI View Post
My strut bar is junk. I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything for me. Sway bars with pivots are pointless....

I bought mine for the hollow aluminum center section, I plan on making strut top mounts some day...

'99 Dinan M3
Old 10-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #10
michaelhofastcar

Where in the world can you buy a strut bar for 20 bucks. That's just enough for shipping and handling fee.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:42 PM   #11
weezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
My strut bar is junk. I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything for me. Sway bars with pivots are pointless....

I bought mine for the hollow aluminum center section, I plan on making strut top mounts some day...
DustenT, I bought mine from a guy who designed and made it himself. 2 triangular shaped brackets (for the strut nuts) connected by one thin bar with supports. It made the front end turn in more responsive, especially with the X Brace underneath.

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
Old 10-05-2006, 10:58 PM   #12
Panzer_M

check ebay for a used NON-HINGED bar, IE BMP's, Sparco, IAAS(I think they have one).
They do come up for small change sometimes. other times it's $$$ for something not really worth it, cause of an ineffective design.
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Old 10-05-2006, 11:11 PM   #13
pdxmotorhead

There are two types of tower braces.

The first is intended to maintain a set measurement between the tops of the strut towers which keeps relative camber constant. Any bar that connects between the tops of the tower touching no other part of the car is this type and it DOES NOT MATTER if it has heims or welded solid thats about all it does. You get only a small amount of stability in any other direction not worth worrying about.

The second type is a triangulated strut bar, this one controls camber, caster and in general does what most people think the first one does. To do this job the bar has to connect the tops of the two towers together and both to 1 more location minimum, usually the firewall or on some cars the front radiator support. Ideally there is proximity between the "third" point and a roll cage brace or as near as possible to the tranny tunnel. The triangulation locates the tops of the towers both right to left and front to rear which means the tops of the struts don't orbit. If they orbit you get small changes in caster, camber, bump steer, ackerman etc...

There are few aftermarket strut braces that perform as well as one built by a race fab shop to fit your car. And the funny thing is that it likely cost less than all the frilly foo foo "wifes term for name brand " units.

I built the last one on a race car for 12 dollars worth of tubing, and about an hour or two of time cutting the rings for the tops of the towers.

Dave
Old 10-06-2006, 12:01 AM   #14
HuGo

Well the way i see it, its just a bar. You need a strong bar and pretty much your covered. I dont think brand plays a big roll on this like buying pistons pulleys etc.

Now what i always thought the purpose for the a strut bar is so that if you get in a car accident by getting hit in the fenders, the bar will prevent from the sides to squish in and f*ck up the motor. I thought this because its mounted on each end and the bar is strong. But i find out its for performance wise (handleling). Ill be glad if someone can correct me on what a strut bar really does. The most i know its that it stiffens the front......

Ok fine, my bar didnt cost 20 bucks, it costed 23.53 When i went to go buy my CF hood, there was another shop on the side. They had all kinds of sh!t like intakes, exhausts and suspensions and a lot of good quality parts. I felt like jacking some Sh!t because i had my dads big truck and all the parts were outside the little garage and i didnt see anyone inside. (of coarse i was just saying to my cousin, im gonna steal some stuff but messing around.) So i asked for a strut bar and thats how much it costed me.

I put the brackets in and by the time i was going to place the bar, the bar hit the intake manifold. But im sure it will fit once i install my DASC. Dusten, how much did yours cost? Does it do the trick? I think mines looks like yours. Anyway, heres 2 pics.

(i took this pictures with the camera in a standing position)

The brackets are currently placed on the towers.

I was going to buy the rear strut for the hatch but i didnt want to. I dont want to stiffen the car that much. Unless you guys think i should? What are the benefits of have one? To eliminate understeer or something like that? Think i should get one, i could also get that for 20 bucks. Sorry, 23.53.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Closed Thread