318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 993,710 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-16-2002, 02:42 AM   #1
chris

could someone who has a short shift kit please tell me what they are like?
do they improve your gear changes by much?
i think i will get one soon for my 1.8DOHC are they hard to install???i take it you install it from the bottom, is it hard?has anyone done this before and can give me a basic step by step??

------------------
!DUFF!
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 05:05 AM   #2
96cali

chris- check out www.understeer.com

it's run by a guy who really knows his stuff. Basically according to him and some other very knowledgable people on this board and others, your options are as follows:
1) spend alot of $$$ on an aftermarket (ie UUC) short shift kit for $100+. Shift reduction varies.
2) spend a little $ on a stock OEM shifter from a 1.9L Z which reduces throws by 33% or an M3 shifter which reduces by something like 50%. Either one of these are readily available for around $30.00. Went thru the gears in Chris' wifes ti with the M3 shifter-big difference from stock.

Installs are apparently simple which you'll see on the understeer page. Mind you, I won't actually be doing this till spring so experience is not on my side. However I have dug a bit in the 8 mos I've owned my ti. And before you go buying a CAI for which nobody makes a heat sheild, check out another great lo-dough upgrade by searching for Shaun Foggs site and Fogging your airbox.

Hope this helps. I could have given a bunch of links but my other computers hard drive died and so did most of my bimmer info.

------------------
1996 318ti Hellrot California Ed
96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 01:09 AM   #3
1996 328ti

Vehicles

I had a lever from 1.9 Z3 in my 98 ti.
It worked very well.

My 328ti has a short shift but required the ERK that UUC and Rogue sell. I think the lever was from a M Coupe. Not sure though. It is a shorter through than the 1.9 Z3.

But for the money, the 1.9 is the way to go.
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 07:04 PM   #4
jeph23

Does anyone know where I could find one of these shifters for the 1.9 Z or the M3 for $30? I would really like to get one of these. My brother and I modified his shifter on his Talon, and it works great, but it was a lot of work, and I would rather just buy one then do a bunch of modifications to my original shifter...
jeph23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 05:44 PM   #5
318tibimmer

I put a M3 shifter in my 97ti, I got it off of ebay I don't remember how much I paid but it was like maybe $40-$50. If you are looking for parts under ebay I normaly go and search for "E36" and it comes up with all kinds of parts, you will have to know what you can use on the ti, because it will include all E36 body style BMW's
Custom Cold Air Intake, Custom IAT controller, SuperSprint Exhaust, High Flow CAT, Long Tube Header, H&R 'Race' Lowering springs, Short Shifter, JB Racing Lightweight Flywheel, M3 Clutch Kit w/Rogue Semi-Metalic Disk, Zex Nitrous System, Euro Clear Corners, Elipsoid Headlights w/Halos, Eyebrows, Window Tinting, Invisible Bra
318tibimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 01:58 PM   #6
jeph23

Yep, I just got one off of ebay for $8.50. Not too bad if I do say so myself. It even came with the shifter knob. Can't beat that!!! Thanks!
jeph23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 07:17 AM   #7
miko

Just installed the new UUC evo kit and I REALLY like it. It is expensive, but with the derlin bushings and sealed bearing shift pivot, it's got a great feel and is very short. Also, the shift knob hight is adjustable by 0.75".
I did have a couple of "issues" with the install. First, the "Bitch-clip-pin" thingy that holds the aluminum carrier to the tranny lived up to its name. After all else failed I finally was able to get it loose by jamming a tiny screwdriver under the clip, then pushed up on the screwdriver with a pry bar. Second issue was putting a slight kink in the shift rod to enable it to clear the guibo. This is actually quite easy and is outlined in the instructions..but its just an extra step for our cars(mine actually only rubbed in reverse). The third issue was clearance for the circlip that holds the shift pivot bearings. I ended up having to reduce the thickness of the associated spacers by grinding them down a bit in order to get the retaining clip on.
Even after all of this, I have no regrets...it now shifts like a race car. Very short, very precise, no slop!
Old 01-26-2004, 04:25 AM   #8
schussey

i just installed a B&M and love it- shifts are extremely shorter, and is very rough. I love the way it feels
18'' Ace Wheels • Pirelli P7000 SS Tires • Bosal Brospeed Exhaust • B&M Short Throw Kit • H&R Sport Springs • Euro Clears • cat delete • Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop • Modded Airbox • blacked out kidney grilles • Suede Headliner/A Pillars

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
schussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:49 AM   #9
J!m

Vehicles

Just a basic overhaul of the wear parts every 3-4 years can make the car shift like new again...

Shift lever ball cup P/N 25.11.1.220.600
Plastic washers (4 req'd) P/N 25.11.1.220.439
Also, a good 'sticky' grease helps hold parts in place during assembly, as well as reject water and other crap to allow it to work nice for a long time...

Not sure on prices, but cheap. Takes all the slop out, takes about an hour or two to complete the job.

I purchased a new shift lever from BMW to shorten throw, but there were interference problems with the weight on the ti's driveshaft. Perhaps some ti's don't have this? I still have this shift lever floating in my shop somewhere come to think of it...

I'm fine with the shift effort (which increases as throw is shortened) as well as the height the knob sits at, but I don't like the dreaded 2-3 shift which requires making travel plans at least two weeks in advance...

the only REAL fix is to relocate the upper support (read: redesign) as well as shortening the throw of the shift lever, combined with having the transmission 'tweaked' to reduce shift effort between gears.

The weighted shift linkages are a false blessing- they 'feel' nice, but the added weight needs to be brought up to speed. So, the same energy is expelled to get from gear to gear. There is no way around it, unless friction within the entire system (transmission and linkage) can be reduced, allowing a shorter shifter with 'true' stock effort.

And I expect, but have no experience here, short twisty tracks with lots of shifting (or nice fun country roads which I DO have experience with) would be more tiring (fatigue) with a 'heavy' shift mechinism, particularly with a short shifter.

Food for thought. As I said before, I spend WAY too much time doing research before I do a mod than maybe I should... But, you guys all reap the reward for my efforts!

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:33 PM   #10
grail

i totally agree.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:23 PM   #11
brucelee

M3 shifter from BMW is the real deal. Under $100 too!
brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:00 PM   #12
L84THSKY

Default Here are the M3 shifter parts you told me to get.....

Checkout my parts, they are the ones you recommended . Total cost from Circle BMW was $50.24 plus shipping.

http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/M3Parts.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/M3Shifter.JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelee
M3 shifter from BMW is the real deal. Under $100 too!

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:36 PM   #13
brucelee

Good luck!
brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:06 PM   #14
L84THSKY

Default One more question

A guy on Ebay sells a short shift kit, but his parts quantities are a slight bit different. The yellow spacer/washers has the quantity of 4, and the clips is 2.
I ordered the parts you described, but should I have ordered (2) clips and (4) yellow washers/spacers? Please look at my last post that shows what I purchased.

Also, this "Bitch" clip, is this a part that I hopefully won't need to replace? I would like to order it just in case, what is the part #?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelee
Good luck!

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote