318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 987,069 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #166
Earl

Vehicles

I got some work done on Thursday and Sunday, but I only took one picture=/

Lets start off with the trailing arm bushings. I figured out why they will not seat. I simply installed them incorrectly. You are supposed to insert each poly piece, and then run the sleeve through the middle. I ran the outer pieces in, with the sleeve in. When I put the inner pieces in, it trapped air. This kept them from fully seating, and is now keeping me from taking them out. All I can think of now is to drill a small hole in each one to let the air escape, and then install a zerk fitting so I can grease them in the future. I will let you know how this works after Wednesday.

Now for work that actually got completed. I got sick of seeing the firewall/trans tunnel insulation just dangling there, so I finished tugging the rest of it out.

Other than that, I finished removing all of the seam sealer that I could find and also finished smoothing out the mounting points for the old ABS brackets. The next step for the bay is to weld the seams to keep any filler used from cracking. I wish I could fill every imperfection in the bay with metal, to stay away from having to use filler. That would take a whole lot of time and I would still need filler in the end to smooth it all out. Hopefully I will just need a light skim coat to fill small indents and to smooth all of the welded seams out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurohb View Post
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #167
Earl

Vehicles

So to start on a bad note, I may have to destroy my new bushings to get them out. I drilled a hole in the end of one arm to release the air, and that didn't help at all. I'm really not sure how else to remove the bushings without damaging them=/

Good Note: I should have some boxes showing up today=D Not sure exactly which ones, but they're all great.

I got something done yesterday that I have been meaning to do.

Started by removing this:

To access here (among other reasons):

So that I could bundle these here securely:

So that I would be left with this:

Bye bye wires. Also snapped some pics of the bay ready for the seams to be welded:

Then I was peeling plastidip off of my front bumper. I will never plastidip a car again. The removal is so tedious=/

Updates tomorrow with whichever boxes arrive=P

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #168
Wulvndawg

Vehicles
Default oh man

Oh snap, I just got my Ti A couple of months ago, and if I had the cash I sooo would be doing the same strip down and clean up as you are. I cannot wait until the finished product is posted. Nice dedication to a proper rebuild. I have the exact same car. Black on black Ti 1995. I need rims and to clean up the front end abit as the PO was hit in the passenger front and tried to hide it by putting on fiberglass fenders...not to much work to clean them up. I will hopefully be wrapping the hood in carbon fiber to clean it up as it was a scrap yard hood and has a nice brown layer of rust on it....the fenders i'll just clean up and spray bomb with black Krylon plastic paint. That paint is awesome, really easy to put on and covers well. Also the PO had a stupid huge stereo in it, the one inch thick ground cable bolted into the back, the three sets of monster cables run to the back all tell me so, so I have a lot of screws to replace as when he took the stereo out he tossed all the screws instead of just putting them back...also there are two black steel rims on it and two stock rims....but yeah Love the dedication man..keep it up, I definitely will be following this thread.
Wulvndawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #169
Earl

Vehicles

Thank you so much for the kind words. I look forward to your build. Feel free to pm me if you need any help during it

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #170
Wulvndawg

Vehicles

Got any good connections to alternators or injectors? The injectors are 250$ a piece her from NAPA and the alternator is about the same...
I am really looking for the connection on the injectors, as it'll be 1000$ to do them all, and if i'm going to do one, i'd would be an idiot to not do them all....
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #171
Wulvndawg

Vehicles

Oh and I was wondering about the plasti-dip paint job you did. My car is black on black, just like yours. But the PO had been hit in the passenger front fender, I have not yet taken the fender off to see what lays underneath, but from the vent holes on the fiberglass fenders and the way the hood is tight on that side I can ony imagine that the inner fender has been pushed in a bit. But anyway, the plasti-dip paint scheme is one option I was looking at as they salt the roads here and it should be a nice protective coating from all the idiots who refuse to run mudflaps on there truck and cars. It is either that or I go get the car wrapped, carbon fiber wrap should look ok and have the same effect.
Now what I was wondering is, can you clear cote over the plasti-dip, and how easy is it to put on without getting runs and such, as mine will have to be done in the driveway....the garage is literally floor to ceiling with tools...I think theres a floor model compressor in there somewhere....not my house so...yeah.
Also how well does it hide blemishes in the body..I noticed you did yours before doing any real body work...did it make the little dings and scratches more obvious or did it hide them pretty good.
Sorry if it seams i'm high-jacking your thread, it is not my intention to do so.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #172
Earl

Vehicles

Not a problem. Try rockauto.com or fap99.com for parts. Dipyourcar.com has all of your plastidip questions. I highly recommend getting the kit in gallons versus spray cans. It'll turn out nicer peel off a lot easier It hides ding and scratches due to being a matte finish.

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #173
Wulvndawg

Vehicles

kk, thx. I guess the real advantage to doing this to a car is, if it does get scratched or need repair, you just peel it off and redo it...and it still offers a good seal on the panel.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #174
Earl

Vehicles

You can actually just spray over the scratch and it will fill it in.

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #175
eurohb

Vehicles

god damn you! I want another ti again
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #176
Earl

Vehicles

Get one Then finish it in time for H20 so we can meet up.

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #177
Earl

Vehicles

My boxes didn't end up showing up on Thursday. UPS needed me to sign for them, and I wasn't home. So of course I took off Friday just to be able to sign for them. They came 7 minutes after I would have been home from work=/ Oh well.

Anyways it was like Christmas thanks to Bag Riders=)

I asked them to draw on the boxes to see how creative they are. I had a good laugh

Contents of two of the boxes

The third box was my UAS Airhouse 2's for the rear. I got the tank raw so that I could paint it myself. Here is while it was drying:

I also picked up an AC-Schnitzer style CF lip on Saturday in need of repairs. A friend and I are going to fix it and then it will be getting painted to match my rub strips.

Other than getting parts and painting the tank, I didn't get any work done on the car. I had a local get together Saturday and then realised that I didn't have anything I needed to get any work done on the car. Wednesday I will be getting the bags mounted to the trailing arms and hopefully fixing the bushing situation. I also need to figure out how I want my trunk setup to be. I want it clean and classy, but not boring.

Updates to come after Wednesday

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #178
Earl

Vehicles

I was very happy with how yesterday went.

I finally got to order my 3" and 3.5" lips. I am so excited for them to come.

After work I got to the shop and had just the right tool to get the pesky RTAB sleeves out.

After a little wrestling I let out a sigh of relief as I stared at these.

Now to reinstall them correctly this next time=D

I grabbed these front work

And what do you know, matching threads

And then I did this slick move

Tada

I got them to screw on nice and flat=) Just need to put some loctite on the threads when I reinstall them. Now to make the top mounting coles on the frame rail.

I also grabbed the subframe and took it in the light to see the color. Reminds me of a bass boat when there is heavy light=P

From a distance it is just a metallic pewter color.

The next updates will be after Saturday=)

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #179
Wulvndawg

Vehicles

Looking good bud. I am so loving this build, and reading about it.

I have not looked into it fully yet, but am still strongly considering doing the plasti-dip/cote on my car....it may be the only way I get to put a paint job on a car and make it my style. But I thought since you have done it already, do you remember if it comes in white...like pure ass white. Maybe I coulda left the ass part out but...you get the point i'm sure. I just really do love the look of these cars in white with black trim...to me it makes the car look so much more than it really is....and we all know they are pretty sweet rides to begin with.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #180
Earl

Vehicles

They do make it in white. I also like compacts in white too

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.