318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 971,459 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 2,035 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-31-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
SDKmann

Default Class Acton Suit Against Traffic Cameras

I was reading the paper in my buisness law class today and on the cover it said that a woman has set things in motion to create a class action law suit against red light, speed, and van cameras. It is being handled by two local law firms and one is the Waterman law firm and I know them personally and they are very good at what they do. I think this may actually have a chance, Ill keep you guys posted on how things go because if this wins it will spark thousands of class action suits everywhere.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
Bluebimma

What happened that set this suit into action?

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
SDKmann

Im not sure because I only know what Ive read in the paper and they didnt give alot of detail but some woman got a speeding ticket and decided to go after the cameras legality so the law firms decided to go along with her and try to get a class action suit started. Im sure that people will join the suit so it will get to court because people around here are straight up pissed that the cameras have been set up. They have started takeing the cameras down at night so people wont mess with them.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:25 PM   #5
SDKmann

Damn Quad City Times! They made it sound like it was the first one. Thanks for bursting my bubble dustin.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
Bluebimma

I personally don’t like the camera lights because they cause accidents. I’ve seen so many rear-enders because people slam on the brakes at a camera light even when the light is still green. All these cameras do is make people paranoid and on edge because they don’t want a ticket. It takes away from concentrating on the road and the surroundings which puts the driver and everyone else in potential danger. Sure the people around them need to pay attention as well, but the awareness factor is heightened because you want to make the light, but you also need to make sure the person in front of you isn’t going to slam on the brakes.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:09 PM   #7
L84THSKY

I haven't seen any near me, but when I lived in Germany, they put them everywhere. Personally, I think they are a good idea. It keeps people from getting pissed when being pulled over, and prevents confrontation with police officers. When I would get a ticket in the mail, I would just say, "damn", and that was that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebimma View Post
I personally don’t like the camera lights because they cause accidents. I’ve seen so many rear-enders because people slam on the brakes at a camera light even when the light is still green. All these cameras do is make people paranoid and on edge because they don’t want a ticket. It takes away from concentrating on the road and the surroundings which puts the driver and everyone else in potential danger. Sure the people around them need to pay attention as well, but the awareness factor is heightened because you want to make the light, but you also need to make sure the person in front of you isn’t going to slam on the brakes.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:19 PM   #8
Bluebimma

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
I haven't seen any near me, but when I lived in Germany, they put them everywhere. Personally, I think they are a good idea. It keeps people from getting pissed when being pulled over, and prevents confrontation with police officers. When I would get a ticket in the mail, I would just say, "damn", and that was that.
I understand where you are coming from and sure its a good idea but i think if certain people knew exactly how they, the camera lights, worked instead of hitting the brakes on a green light, then personally, things would be better. You know youre going to get yourself in trouble in some way by running a red light or speeding, whether it be a ticket or an accident...youre just getting it in the mail rather than from a cop.

To bypass the frustration being put on cops, you put it on other drivers because of people like this. You never know whos going to hit the brakes at one of these lights and you have to be extra careful with the situation.

^^^^if that made sense

Old 08-31-2006, 11:22 PM   #9
SDKmann

Yeah but if they wernt there you would probably get away with a lot more stuff. A ticket from one of those things is $65, its a fixed price because its considered a civil infraction not a criminal offense. This country is really built on laws that allow people to get away with things, people just desguise these laws with words like privacy. I really think these cameras are unconstitutional.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:40 PM   #10
Etienne

Hmm, interesting.

I guess the issue for me is what rationalization is used in their defense. Things like this can be a slippery slope with the oh-so-subjective constitution. The most important thing here isn't the annoyance to cops or the cost of the ticket, but whether it violates the underlying tennants of the constitution.

I'm not certain that the traffic cameras do this or not, but I would be wary of the wording of any legislation defending them.

All that aside, I doubt very much that people's inability to drive responsibly with the cameras is going to have very much affect on whether or not they stay or go.

image from: http://www.lasershows.ro/site/ro/graficalaser.htm
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:48 PM   #11
SDKmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
All that aside, I doubt very much that people's inability to drive responsibly with the cameras is going to have very much affect on whether or not they stay or go.
Actually these cameras might be in violation of Iowa law. Thats why these well respected law firms are even considering doing this.They police say that the average number of accidents at these intersections have decreased but I wonder if it has to be in the intersection to be counted because I know a few people who have been rear ended or have rear ended someone because of the cameras.Anyway, if these cameras are in violation of the law how people drive will be completely irrelivant.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:00 AM   #12
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
Anyway, if these cameras are in violation of the law how people drive will be completely irrelivant.
/agree

Old 09-01-2006, 01:22 AM   #13
Bluebimma

Im not defending or accusing anyone in this situation, im stating from visual evidence that people (in my area) act as though they are afraid of these lights and hit the brakes for no reason....which in turn causes accidents rather than prevent them, and for what, to not get a ticket in the mail.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:54 AM   #14
Etienne

They must be annoying as hell... :/ I hope we never get them here.

i had heard rumors of people getting speeding tickets from EZ-Pass on the turnpike, don't know if that is true or not.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #15
318tiRedLeather

How does this actually work, couldnt you just say that it wasnt you driving the car, that you let a friend borrow it and get out of the ticket?
K&N Cone Filter with Heat Shield, Racing Dynamics Strut bar, Blisten yellow sport suspension, Clears all around, Angel eyes, Dinan Engine Chip, Infinity BassLink 10" Sub, Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel
318tiRedLeather is offline   Reply With Quote