318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Today 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 939,875 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,605 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-05-2004, 05:11 PM   #1
weezer

Default X Brace Bar

I've been reading about x braces from Z3's and M3's.
Will they work on Ti's?
Thinking of spending on this rather than on lowering spring and/or coilovers
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:39 PM   #2
bmw///m3///

yes yhey will work, been thinking about that mod 2 , its actually practical. go 4 it
bmw///m3/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:45 PM   #3
weezer

Thanks! did you do it yourself? If so was it hard...It looks simple enough, but I know how tight the bolts can be.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:54 PM   #4
KIRASIR

It's a 20min install (not counting jacking up) if you've done one before. First time should take a couple of hours.

http://www.emotors.ca/articles/article.aspx?ID=31

SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer
Thanks! did you do it yourself? If so was it hard...It looks simple enough, but I know how tight the bolts can be.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:54 PM   #5
ddiorio1313

I have heard good things about the X-brace...Not sure about using one from the Z3 or M3, but the one they sell in BavAuto is supposed to help quite a bit....
Old 11-05-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
weezer

Thanks a lot, Guys! I'm Glad I joined this forum.
On another thread I asked if anyone had swapped steering wheels before, because I did it and lost the horn.
Any ideas?
Old 11-05-2004, 07:18 PM   #7
ClubSport

There's a group buy on the x-brace going on at bimmerforums.com. Today is the last day to get it for $115 shipped, anywhere in the lower 48.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...2&page=4&pp=25
ClubSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:59 PM   #8
bmw///m3///

115 shipped sounds about right, make sure it comes with all the hardware mounting kit. youll have to do some taping into your frame, but thieres a bunch of DIY websites on it.
bmw///m3/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:56 PM   #9
ClubSport

$115 shipped is actually really cheap for a new brace. And it comes with all the hardware.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:32 PM   #10
J!m

Vehicles

You do not tap the frame to install, you install threaded 'riv-nut' inserts. Quite fun if you don't have the tool for it.

The 'X' brace is only available in one flavor- no different models available. It was originally developed to stop cowl shake on the E36 convertable. I have one installed on my ti, and body twist is much lower than before. No windshield creak on off-camber driveways.

Highly recommended modification. DO NOT use the original bar in addition to the brace. Someone was going to do this on another post. The car is not designed to be restrained that way, and cracks could develop. Remove the stock bar, replace it with the brace, enjoy life.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:52 AM   #11
L84THSKY

I just installed the x-brace 3 hours ago. The instructions at Understeer.com are very good. Be forwarned, those nutserts are a pain in the ass. My brother and I went from wrenches to allen keys with a vise grip on it, to crecent wrenches and everything in between. Trying to compress the nutsert while holding the bold steady not easy. In the end we got them all on. But when I was tightening the bolts with my torque wrench, I think one of the nutserts came loose inside.

I bought mine from a guy on Ebay, "buy it Now' for $110.00, nutserts included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 06:50 PM   #12
maurolin

I've always had x braces... Originally in my cabrio, then I installed one in my 4 door M3 (the nutserts were already in the car from factory.
and now getting ready to install it on my ****basket ti.
What really pissed me off is that someone took my x brace.
My cabrio was totalled in the beginning of the year, and i removed it.
well yes the nutserts werre a pain to put in, so i decided to wait till the car was done.
no I cannot find the x brace ANYWHERE!
I have the nutserts, but i am going to have to but another x brace. sux.
they help a lot, but i came to find out that upgradded sway bars and strut bars stiffen the body so much that the installation of the x brace is not felt. BUT, I want to have it all in my car.... if it doesn't work, it will just make my list of mods bigger! hehe.
I tested the stress on the swaybars and the xbrace by spraying a coat of resin on the ends and middle. as the sways or x brace flexes or moves even 1 mm, the thin resin layer will crack. well.. the results were not so surprising... EVERYTHING cracked and in some spots peled off; in exeption of the strut bar. AA makes one stiff bar!.
the racing dynamics swaybars make a difference, but a car will STILL have body flex/roll. I just got my roll bar, and I wanna see the difference it will make with it on at the track. (or the local highways and twisties!!) will be bolted on.

stiff is great, but needs serious damppening to compensate.. ore your wheels will lift off the ground!!!
maurolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:06 PM   #13
KIRASIR

You sprayed sway bars with resin and expected it not to peel off???!??!?!
The sway bars are designed to twist and bend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurolin
I tested the stress on the swaybars and the xbrace by spraying a coat of resin on the ends and middle. as the sways or x brace flexes or moves even 1 mm, the thin resin layer will crack. well.. the results were not so surprising... EVERYTHING cracked and in some spots peled off; in exeption of the strut bar. AA makes one stiff bar!.
the racing dynamics swaybars make a difference, but a car will STILL have body flex/roll.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:59 PM   #14
ClubSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurolin
I think your conclusions about the strut bar are wrong. What you just showed is not that the AA bar is really stiff, but that it is not being stressed at all, and is therefore worthless.

Just the opinion of a mechanical engineer.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:51 AM   #15
cali-ti
aka Stabby

no idea what this tool looks like, but here's a part # and where i read about it:

Steif Bar Tool Deposit P/N 88886113200

http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/e36suspe.htm (scroll about half way down the page)

perhaps that is a "made up" part number for their tool deposit or a tool of their own creation. i'll put in a parts info request with one of the online bmw dealers that actually like to help people and let you know what i find out. i don't see anything listed with the brace itself: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...06&hg=51&fg=80
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote