318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,028,202 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-10-2004, 04:49 AM   #1
luckyboy984

Default clutch stand

does anyone know the deal about "clutch stands"? i saw this on bavauto.com. It says that you can install it into a factory mount location and specify it so it stops the clutch pedal from having to be pushed in much past the engagement point. i thought this was bad for the car? shouldn't the clutch pedal be put all the way to floor each time to reduce wear?

do anyone of you have this? or can tell me if its a good idea?
luckyboy984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:23 AM   #2
Jared

That is usually referred to as a "clutch stop" and is sold by many companies. UUC comes to mind. So long as you adjust it properly (put the stop after the clutch is fully disengaged) this will not do any harm to your car. Also, I know many people like them, and they say it helps them shift quicker and more precisely. I personally do not have one, as my clutch disengages fully only at the floor.
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:41 AM   #3
ClubSport

I put one in my car because it has an annoying few inches of travel (at least it seems like it) below disengagement. FYI, you can make one yourself for about $2 with parts from home depot. An elevator bolt of about 1-2" (which the stock rubber cap fits on, btw) and any nut you can find to use as a jam-nut.

Exact same function as the pricey ones online, and who needs the shiny aluminum down in their footwell? Can't even see mine because the elevator bolt is black.

Seriously, don't pay more than $3 for a clutch stop.
ClubSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:38 PM   #4
L84THSKY

I read that these can't be used on cars that require engaging the clutch to start engine. Wouldn't that be for all 318ti's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared
That is usually referred to as a "clutch stop" and is sold by many companies. UUC comes to mind. So long as you adjust it properly (put the stop after the clutch is fully disengaged) this will not do any harm to your car. Also, I know many people like them, and they say it helps them shift quicker and more precisely. I personally do not have one, as my clutch disengages fully only at the floor.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:43 PM   #5
ClubSport

Mine doesn't require engaging the clutch to start. I've almost bumped into another car trying to start it in gear. Makes me feel bad for the starter pinion and flywheel though
ClubSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:50 PM   #6
GDB

I don't have to have my clutch in to start it either, although I do it anyways, just out of habit.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:12 PM   #7
TiPerformance

I made one out of the home depot parts, I had the car started then I installed it, shut it off came back out and went to start it and it wouldn't. I guess I need to make one with a shorter bolt, but that kinda defeats the purpose. Oh well I cost me about $4.00 and I will try again some other time.

BTW my car has to have the pedal engaged to start.
TiPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:12 AM   #8
luckyboy984

thanks for the input

that seems weird that some TI's need the clutch disengaged and some don't?

this may sound like a dumb question but i'm new to driving sticks. when you say you install it after the disengagement point, how do you exactly know where that is? Is it where you feel the clutch grab?

<----- noob
luckyboy984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:29 AM   #9
aceyx

lucky, we were all there at one point.

although the friction point is a good indicator, it's actually a little before that point where the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate start rubbing. it's minimal, but it does produce wear.

my clutch loses feel about an inch away from the bump stop. i'll engage the clutch all the way when starting, and if i'm sitting in gear, but shifting i rarely hit the footwell the way my seat is positioned (to get to the stop, i actually have to move my hip a little).

it's a neat device, but if it actually improves your driving there's something to be said about your driving in the first place. learn without, and you'll be better off in the end.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote