318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 350,775 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
zboot

Default Squeaking Suspension - NOT a e-brake issue or from steering wheel

Hi,

I've got a MT 98 318ti with Bavauto springs and Bilstein sport shocks. Starting yesterday evening, I started hearing a squeaking noise from my suspension. Specifically, it is coming from the driver's side of the car. I've not yet been able to isolate the sound as coming from the front or back but I know for sure it does not come from the passenger side.

The squeaking sounds occur when I'm driving . . say 10mph or faster and go over any little bumps. It squeaks for the small bumps that I cannot feel at all to the larger ones. However, at low speeds - ie driving through a parking lot, even when I specifically target small or large bumps or go over a speed bump, I don't hear the squeaking sound.

The sound does not occur when I'm driving on smoothly paved roads.

Looking at all the threads in the suspension forum, I found a few that mentioned squeak problems, but most seemed to deal with the parking brake / ebrake being the source of the sounds. I've taken corners hard in the past and hit one or two bad bumps/potholes but last night, the worst thing I went over (until I got home and tried to see if the bump in my apt's lot will cause a squeak) were some train tracks. The squeaks did not start until much later, so I cannot be sure that they're related.

Any ideas? I know the well paved roads that I can use for my typical day's paths. . but I'd rather figure out the problem than try to ignore it.
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Do you have upgraded bushings? Urethane bushings squeak.

Can you get the car up on jack stands and slowly jack up the wheel and replicate the squeak? Maybe that'll help you isolate it.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
zboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
Do you have upgraded bushings? Urethane bushings squeak.

Can you get the car up on jack stands and slowly jack up the wheel and replicate the squeak? Maybe that'll help you isolate it.
I'm not sure if the bushings were upgraded - the suspension work was done by the previous owner - I'll check the paperwork when I get home today.

So urethane bushings would start squeaking out of the blue? I've put a little over 4k miles on the car since I got it and this is the first I'm noticing the squeaks.

I may be able to get the car up this weekend - I still need to talk to the car guru at work.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:17 AM   #4
zboot

I was out this evening a couple times. The first time work->home->volleyball game I head the squeaks. Then I went out to my part time job (delivering baggage the airlines misplaced). I was squeaking to the airport, loaded my car (with a light load tonight btwn 100 and 200 lbs as opposed to > 500 - which was what was in my car a couple nights ago though I'd delivered most of it before the squeaks began). But anyway, after delivering the first bag, I noticed that my car had stopped the squeaking noise. Perhaps the extra weight helped to reseat something. . . I'm going to still try to figure it out . . . at least I can drive a little happier. ..
Old 04-22-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
krovax

i to have this problem and i cant work out what it is if i push/bounce the rear of my ti is squeaks and when i drive i get a lil rattle/tap noise to deffo comming from the rear
krovax is offline   Reply With Quote