318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,911 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,818 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,122 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-29-2005, 08:35 AM   #1
pcmedics911

Default 1996 318ti Automatic shifting question

Greetings fellow 318ti owners,

I had a question about automatic shifting. I noticed that when I gun or hit the pedal pretty hard to get a good start, my rpms go all the way up to redline before i have to pull my foot off the pedal to have the 318ti shift to the next gear.

This seems to only happen in 2nd gear i believe. I can gun the car while on the freeway and it has no problem shifting to a lower gear for speed then diverting back to the next gear up.

This only happens when i'm at a stop light and i start off then gun the pedal. I'm not a red liner and i don't want to blow my engine (heck, im still new here!)

I used some fuel injector cleaner so i wanted to really get the car moving (to sprout the fuel injector, not to race).

I wondered why this happens since I just had the service level II recently done by a non bmw dealership.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
pcmedics911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:45 PM   #2
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmedics911
Greetings fellow 318ti owners,

I had a question about automatic shifting. I noticed that when I gun or hit the pedal pretty hard to get a good start, my rpms go all the way up to redline before i have to pull my foot off the pedal to have the 318ti shift to the next gear.

This seems to only happen in 2nd gear i believe. I can gun the car while on the freeway and it has no problem shifting to a lower gear for speed then diverting back to the next gear up.

This only happens when i'm at a stop light and i start off then gun the pedal. I'm not a red liner and i don't want to blow my engine (heck, im still new here!)

I used some fuel injector cleaner so i wanted to really get the car moving (to sprout the fuel injector, not to race).

I wondered why this happens since I just had the service level II recently done by a non bmw dealership.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
This sounds normal. When I still had the auto tranny I could hold each gear until red line, sometimes hitting the rev limiter before it would shift.

This is the first car that has ever done that. I'm sure it's on purpose because you need the full range of engine rpms for max power.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Mine does the same thing and I’m not sure why it does this. I never do what you are talking about so this wouldn’t be a problem from me. The only time I push the pedal to the floor is when I’m pulling onto the highway from the on ramp and even then it’s not to the floor
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:57 PM   #4
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler
Mine does the same thing and I’m not sure why it does this. I never do what you are talking about so this wouldn’t be a problem from me. The only time I push the pedal to the floor is when I’m pulling onto the highway from the on ramp and even then it’s not to the floor
If you had NAAAS you would only need partial throttle all the time.....think about that.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:14 PM   #5
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT
If you had NAAAS you would only need partial throttle all the time.....think about that.

What you talking about willis?
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
pcmedics911

Thank you for the feedback.

I'm glad its normal so I don't have to panic. I thought my transmission was going to take a dump! I would have been seriously in hot water considering how much the 318ti is celebrated here and I took the dive to get the car.

I can sleep better now
pcmedics911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
vwt3

I have an auto with the manual shift mode, I always shift my auto thru the gears weather I'm auto or manual mode, starting in drive you get noware fast (kinda a real dog starting in drive) my 2cents

vwt3

95ti Alpine White, K&N cone filter, Fullcoilovers by GroundControl Koni adjustable,Eibach springs.
JUST POINT AND SHOOT...http://www.munks.com/
. Also 69 VW t3 fastback 2110 motor,full air ride
.http://www.airkewld.com[/size]
vwt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:44 PM   #8
Juni

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT