318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,000 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #16
chzman

any update on this project? I've been collecting for my build for a couple years now. I just ordered my CPs from VAC Motorsports this week. 86mm, 8.5, +1.
I'm hoping to get the machine work and bottom end together this summer.
chzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #17
BAZUKA JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chzman View Post
any update on this project? I've been collecting for my build for a couple years now. I just ordered my CPs from VAC Motorsports this week. 86mm, 8.5, +1.
I'm hoping to get the machine work and bottom end together this summer.
Unfortunately, no. I need up scrapping this project and just swapped in a s52b28 from a M3. Only thing that held me back was tuning. If your willing to run a standalone system or a piggyback which I believe is only good for so much boost then it's possible, but the few people that have tuned the M44 DME seemed to not be interested in messing with them anymore. I talked to both people Johnny (I'm sure you've read his build thread) worked with and they were too busy to mess around with it at the time
BAZUKA JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #18
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZUKA JOE View Post
Unfortunately, no. I need up scrapping this project and just swapped in a s52b28 from a M3. Only thing that held me back was tuning. If your willing to run a standalone system or a piggyback which I believe is only good for so much boost then it's possible, but the few people that have tuned the M44 DME seemed to not be interested in messing with them anymore. I talked to both people Johnny (I'm sure you've read his build thread) worked with and they were too busy to mess around with it at the time
Nobody wanted to do the tune except Barrie from Midnight tuning. He has many files for the following injectors, 30# 42.8# and 60#. He has tuned an automatic also. I tried the stand alone route (Storm G4 & Megasquirt) and neither standalone was as good a Barrie's turbo tune. Car was completely street driven with excellent idle, perfect Lambda control and all BMW option working on the DME.

If I did another turbo I would use BArrie and I back his work 100%.

John S
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:17 PM   #19
BAZUKA JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Nobody wanted to do the tune except Barrie from Midnight tuning. He has many files for the following injectors, 30# 42.8# and 60#. He has tuned an automatic also. I tried the stand alone route (Storm G4 & Megasquirt) and neither standalone was as good a Barrie's turbo tune. Car was completely street driven with excellent idle, perfect Lambda control and all BMW option working on the DME.

If I did another turbo I would use BArrie and I back his work 100%.

John S
Sounds about right, I remember asking him and at that time he had too much going on at the moment and I would have to leave him the car and to try and contact Nick G at tequnique tuning because he has the software ready to go.

When I contacted nick he said "sorry but no, I don't have any calibrations for that"

So I just decided to go with the s52, I really wanted to turbo the m44 and would actually probably pick up another TI just to do that if I had the tuning recourses.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:41 PM   #20
chzman

as always, good info. I'm full ahead on my m44 turbo build. i've known since day one it was going to be tough. but if i wanted easy, i would have bought a mustang and a bolt on kit.
VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia, Pa has been crucial in my process. from manufacturing the injector adapters for the #42 injectors, to selection of pistons etc.
Will start a build thread as soon as i start wrenching on the car. likely not until summer.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:45 PM   #21
BAZUKA JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chzman View Post
as always, good info. I'm full ahead on my m44 turbo build. i've known since day one it was going to be tough. but if i wanted easy, i would have bought a mustang and a bolt on kit.
VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia, Pa has been crucial in my process. from manufacturing the injector adapters for the #42 injectors, to selection of pistons etc.
Will start a build thread as soon as i start wrenching on the car. likely not until summer.
What are you doing for tuning? I'd still like to boost a m44 one day bud that's what held me back
Old 01-08-2016, 11:03 PM   #22
chzman

i'll have to talk to VAC again or see if i can find my notes. VAC gave me the info i needed. I started this project in 2013. had to put it on hold to relocate. now i'm finally back on it again. my notes are buried in storage in the parts bins. I think it was Miller War Chip that someone in their shop has a m44 tune.
I'm purpose building it for Cross Country Rally Races (PureRally, Gumball style etc).
Old 01-09-2016, 12:26 AM   #23
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZUKA JOE View Post
What are you doing for tuning? I'd still like to boost a m44 one day bud that's what held me back
You need to gut the DISA valve since turbo boost will destroy it and send it through the motor if you're going DASC the intake manifold will remove the DISA from the system. Install a 1995 M3 or 328i MAF for 3" flow plus the 1995 MAF is a direct install that matched the ORI MAF sensor plug. You need to install a LM-2 with direct analog connections to MAF, TB, knock and RPM, the AFR is already a main plug wide-band O2 directly to the LM-2. You can also map many items digitally like Timing, LAmbda control, etc. The LM-2 will record in real time what those sensor values are so you can custom tune the DME by just looking at the log files in a map setting. A WAR chip will not work on a 667 or 668 DME which is used on M44 setups. Chipped cars 1995 and lower can use the WAR chip but I only know one person who tried it and it didn't go so well.

A properly coded 96-98 DME will have complete control over the mixture, timing etc and is what I recomend.

John S
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:24 AM   #24
andakn

Only good way I've seen a top mount work on ti is to remove a/c for header clearance and relocate battery so down pipe can go down there. I think they had cut down through just sheet metal no frame cut but i would still brace it myself. The one i saw had a 4in down pipe and it looked like they bored down with a 5in hole saw and put a 5in pipe down through and welded in place. The down pipe went through it. I don't know if it was for heat shielding or re structure but I'd do it with both in mind.
andakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:52 AM   #25
BAZUKA JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andakn View Post
Only good way I've seen a top mount work on ti is to remove a/c for header clearance and relocate battery so down pipe can go down there. I think they had cut down through just sheet metal no frame cut but i would still brace it myself. The one i saw had a 4in down pipe and it looked like they bored down with a 5in hole saw and put a 5in pipe down through and welded in place. The down pipe went through it. I don't know if it was for heat shielding or re structure but I'd do it with both in mind.
The bracket under that battery could just be removed. I relocated mine to the trunk with my swap and thought about removing it but it was just easier to paint it with the rest of the engine bay since I was already painting it