318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 996,081 Views
  Share/Bookmark

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
DDubbs

Question shimmy at 40mph - struts?

I did some searching on threads with 'shimmy' or shudder and didn't find a conclusive answer.

For about a year I've had a shimmy at 35-40 mph. I can feel it in the car as I leave my right leg against the console when I'm driving and can feel it through my leg. The steering wheel feels notchy while the shudder is noticeable. Symptoms are stronger under deceleration, whether braking or leaving my foot off the gas. Not as intense if accelerating.

Recently the car will pull to the right so I took it for an alignment. No shudder in the brake pedal, I don't believe it's a warped rotor. No notchy feeling in the wheel at low (5-20) or high speeds (50-75), or when turning the wheel while stopped. Very noticeable around turns at 35. Steering wheel doesn't wobble while driving in a straight line at speed but you can feel the car shimmy.

You can feel steering wheel wobble in your hand while turning. The shimmy is there at all speeds, but you can feel it in the wheel from 35-40. It's barely noticeable below and above 30-40. You can feel it ramp up as speed climbs, like a frequency of vibration.

I've had the car to three shops and got a different answer from each about the suspension. This all started b/c I wanted an alignment, but now that I've spent time and some money having the suspension diagnosed I'm looking for an answer to the wobble.

Shop #1: (after asking for an alignment) new subframe bushings and front struts and LCABs

Shop #2: struts all around, suggested tie rod replacement as boots are cracked. Mentioned tires are getting dry rot. (4 year old Kumho Solus with a few 16ths of tread left)

Shop #3: No problems with suspension, suggested pads and rotors are nearing end of life. Third shop offered to balance the wheels to address shimmy problem.

After a new wheel balance problem persists. Sounds like I need struts. 2 out of 3 shops agree, and they are stock, so at 150k it's likely time.

In my searching I've read anything from flat spot on tire, LCABs, and just tired struts can cause the vibration. One shop suggested LCABs but as part of the front strut job. Other two tell me nothing to worry about. Tire wear has been even. Not violent or dangerous, but the shimmy is real and annoying. Wasn't there with new tires at 121k miles. Been there for the last 10k.

What do you think is causing it? Can worn struts cause this? Bad tire? I can't figure it out. Help appreciated.

Last edited by DDubbs; 08-24-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: adding paragraphs. posted as 1 paragraph
DDubbs is offline   Reply With Quote