318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 106,281 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 69,219 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 66,460 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-20-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
Severian

Default Cause of an occasional rough start?

Our '98 ti occasionally starts a bit on the rough side. It has happened about 7 times since we purchased it a month ago. By "rough start" I mean that immediately upon ignition the car rumbles a bit then konks out. Turn key to the "off" position, count to 3, start her up and give her a bit of gas for good measure, and everything's good. Usually the A/C happened to be on when this happened, so I thought they may be related.

This morning my wife started her car to hit her commute to work. The A/C wasn't on, and the car konked out just after starting. But then successive attempts to start it up failed. The car was turning over, but the sound that it made while turning over didn't sound 100% normal, and it didn't kick into a full start despite holding the key in position for 4-6 seconds at a time. I can't describe the difference, maybe it was all just in my head at the time (because we were running late as it was). But it was turning over.

Finally, my step son came down and while it was attempting to start up gave it some gas. The engine started up, and everything was back to normal. Do you guys have any idea what may cause the occasional rough start, despite A/C setting? (it seems)

We have:
1998 318ti, stock most things, not modded
Manual

My step son said perhaps we got some bad gasoline, because there weren't any other symptoms. We have been feeding it regular gasoline. He suggested we start using 89 octane +

Thanks!!
Severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
L84THSKY

My 2 cents:

Replace the gas filter and use higher octane gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Our '98 ti occasionally starts a bit on the rough side. It has happened about 7 times since we purchased it a month ago. By "rough start" I mean that immediately upon ignition the car rumbles a bit then konks out. Turn key to the "off" position, count to 3, start her up and give her a bit of gas for good measure, and everything's good. Usually the A/C happened to be on when this happened, so I thought they may be related.

This morning my wife started her car to hit her commute to work. The A/C wasn't on, and the car konked out just after starting. But then successive attempts to start it up failed. The car was turning over, but the sound that it made while turning over didn't sound 100% normal, and it didn't kick into a full start despite holding the key in position for 4-6 seconds at a time. I can't describe the difference, maybe it was all just in my head at the time (because we were running late as it was). But it was turning over.

Finally, my step son came down and while it was attempting to start up gave it some gas. The engine started up, and everything was back to normal. Do you guys have any idea what may cause the occasional rough start, despite A/C setting? (it seems)

We have:
1998 318ti, stock most things, not modded
Manual

My step son said perhaps we got some bad gasoline, because there weren't any other symptoms. We have been feeding it regular gasoline. He suggested we start using 89 octane +

Thanks!!

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
Severian

Thanks for the quick reply, L84THSKY. I found a Mahle fuel filter on Auto Doctor for $20.25 before shipping. How difficult is it to change one of these on my own? I'm a noob at car repair/maintenance. I do have some tools and a jack + 2 jack stands. Is this a job that I can handle, perhaps with some help from my more savvy step son? Or should I plan on having this done in a shop.

.:EDIT:.
I found this useful site to help me on my way. But I'm still curious, is this too difficult or risky?
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/eng...placement.html
Old 06-20-2005, 05:09 PM   #4
L84THSKY

I replaced mine myself. Of course I had my car on a lift, so I could walk right under it. Not a hard job, just need basic tools. It's located below your drivers door. Just remove the cover and clamp off the lines during removal. Someone recommended removing the fuel pump fuse first, then crank the engine a few times. This is to relieve the pressure before removal.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply, L84THSKY. I found a Mahle fuel filter on Auto Doctor for $20.25 before shipping. How difficult is it to change one of these on my own? I'm a noob at car repair/maintenance. I do have some tools and a jack + 2 jack stands. Is this a job that I can handle, perhaps with some help from my more savvy step son? Or should I plan on having this done in a shop.

.:EDIT:.
I found this useful site to help me on my way. But I'm still curious, is this too difficult or risky?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 06-20-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
Severian

Okay, sounds good. I'll get my hands on two clamps and the fuel filter. If anyone has any more info about changing the fuel filter or about the original post on this thread I'm all ears. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
Severian

L84THSKY, I have a few more questions if you wouldn't mind the time. I checked out this site to find a diagram just because I'm a research freak. I want to know what I'm in for before I crawl under there:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...45&hg=16&fg=15

1. This diagram shows the filter in the rear passenger side area. Weird?
2. Are there any nuts or bolts that attach the in-line filter? Or do the hoses hold the filter in place?

Thanks very much.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
aceyx

i second switching up to 89. it's the recommended octane for this model (as noted on the back of the gas flap).

that failing, ICV?
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:12 PM   #8
Severian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
i second switching up to 89. it's the recommended octane for this model (as noted on the back of the gas flap).
Gee...that's a terrific place to put info about what gasoline to use. But why didn't I think to look there??

I'll switch to 89+ types of gasoline, then see how things roll out over the next few weeks before I get a new fuel filter. Thanks guys!
Old 06-20-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
L84THSKY

The filter is definitely below the driver side door...roughly. I installed my x-brace, Stromung exhaust and gas filter the same day. There is a cover that must be removed, and that's about it. Jack the car up and look underneath for the cover. The write-up you found shows the cover.

Quote:
L84THSKY, I have a few more questions if you wouldn't mind the time. I checked out this site to find a diagram just because I'm a research freak. I want to know what I'm in for before I crawl under there:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...45&hg=16&fg=15

1. This diagram shows the filter in the rear passenger side area. Weird?
2. Are there any nuts or bolts that attach the in-line filter? Or do the hoses hold the filter in place?

Thanks very much.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 06-20-2005, 11:26 PM   #10
aceyx

there are diagrams and instructions from the TIS here:

i purchased hose pinchers from autozone or pep boys for about $4. it'll be a day until i can find out the manufacturer, but it's the one whose colors are red with white trim. lilly?

the filter cover takes 6mm allen keys IIRC, and you'll most likely have to spray them with pb-blaster or similar penetrating spray if you live north (where they salt the roads) or if you see rust. i've never found wd40 to work well for this application.

there are hose clamps that keep the fuel filter on (in addition to nubs that expand the hose). they take a flat-head screwdriver.

remember to keep a bucket to catch all the fuel that comes out of the filter, and wear gloves because you'll undoubtedly get some on your hands. i prefer nitrile over vinyl and rubber gloves.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:09 PM   #11
Severian

Very helpful comments aceyx, everything I wanted to know. Thanks very much.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:27 AM   #12
KdCass

Problem solved? I had the same issue with the start and die start and start and die.....one of the Vaccum hoses was popped loose. The hose is part of the cold start low emmissions gear. I also had another small rubber hose with small cracks in it.

I reconnected the larger hose hose and taped the small rubber hose. Presto starts and runs great.

-Dave

South City St. Louis Missouri
KdCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:35 PM   #13
Severian

Our fix was easier...stop feeding it 87 octane gasoline. Since we started using 89 and occasionally 91+ things have been fine. But the car punishes me if I space out and give it 87. I did it ONE time and the car had 5-10 rough starts, even two tanks later. We're over the hump now though.