318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 988,723 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-24-2006, 11:04 PM   #1
wilbur71

Default Looking for some advice

hey ya'll

I'm not the greatest computer person so this is a little new to me(forgive ignorance)
My 98 318ti has developed a lovely problem that a dealer and private mechanic can't figure out. In Nov. car started having problems starting first thing in the morning. Car turns over but won't catch. After frustration tried the accl. to the floor. It started to catch. Started and idled rough for 20sec. or so. Ran, idled, and started great after that. $2500 dollars later and a new auto air valve, fuel system regulator,fuel injectors,control unit, spark plug cables, battey, ignition coil, etc. same problem. Checked control unit, fuel system, compression, and security system same problem. The dealer said the catalytic converter was rattling and a valve was sticking open. I think this was a brush off (7wks he had the car). Other mech. is just stumped. Only continuing problem has been catalytic (replace 3 times) Any ideas before I replace more parts that don't need it.
frustrated and missing my car,
wilbur
wilbur71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

sounds like it may be running rich for too long which kills the cat? is the secondary air pump working properly? this is supposed to operate on startup to bring it up to temp more quickly. vacuum leaks?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
wilbur71

Default I''l check into that

Cali-ti

According to the mech. he thought one cylinder was injecting too much fuel. Said he fixed that. Asked him the same question after the 2nd catalytic conv. and he said it was not the problem. I will ask about the 2nd air pump because i was told the vacuum was fine. Would a faulty converter cause problems starting. I can't see how but It is the only problem I have ever had on this car. Car would not start at all today. At a loss. I appreciate the response.
wilbur
Old 03-25-2006, 12:31 AM   #4
wilbur71

Default Found similar problem

Found someone who seemed to have exact same problem. Said his AFM was sticking below 45 deg. What is a AFM? Can't find it in any manual or online?
Thanks

wilbur
Old 03-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
J!m

Vehicles

It may be a good idea to bring it to the dealer for a check and possible ECU re-flash. Drive ability issues are constantly being addressed by BMW, particularly with the M3s. It may be worth your while.

The rattling cat in '98 was a recall by BMW and is covered under warranty until 2008. If yours is rattling, you may want to check on this as well.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:49 AM   #6
wilbur71

Default dealer HA!

Hey Jim,

The dealer had my car for a total of 8 weeks. The reset the ECM, hooked up a new ECM, replaced spark plugs, wires, battery, a fuel injector line, fuel pressure regulator, engine coolant sensor, MAF sensor, Idle air valve, and inspected throttle body. Same damn problem. Told me between the catalytic conv. and a mysterious valve job the car wasn't worth it. Final answer was get rid of the car before it gets cold again. Car runs fine once it starts. Compression is fine. I have to assume the vacuum was checked. It isn't starting at all now (35degs here f'n midwest) cause the starter is cutting out now. The poor bastard has worked harder in the last 4 months than since 98.
It is interesting to find out about the recall though. They neglected to mention that the last three times. Luckily they only charged me $1100 dollars the first time. The Jerks. If anyone has any idea what's wrong, I would be thrilled to give them a call and clue them in.

Thanks for the feedback,

wilbur71