318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 969,595 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 2,012 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-17-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
paul somlo

Default LED Headlight Bulbs?

Has anyone tried LED retrofit bulbs? I'm talking about the ones that directly replace the 9006 Halogen bulbs.
paul somlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul somlo View Post
Has anyone tried LED retrofit bulbs? I'm talking about the ones that directly replace the 9006 Halogen bulbs.
I think you will be disappointed with all the ones that I have seen that simply replace the bulb.

The last time I checked, you needed something like a 20W LED to match a 1500 lumen halogen headlight bulb. Because of the less favorable physics of solid-state LEDs, all that heat is concentrated in one spot and has to be drawn away and dissipated with substantial heatsinks often needing electrical fans. Then there is the non-trivial challenge of correcting the LED's light pattern to work with a headlight reflector that expects an incandescent filament.

Do you have a particular retrofit bulb you were looking at?

Last edited by John Firestone; 10-17-2015 at 01:33 PM.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
paul somlo

Something like this: http://www.motorfiend.com/product_in...%20bmw%20318ti

I saw some reviews on youtube, and they appear to be far brighter than the stock halogens.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
John Firestone

The product description is a bit over the top in places, but it appears that those guys have done what you need to get enough output. I would not try to predict from the product copy and the video, the long term reliability of the design and materials.

If you watch the video, you can see the focusing challenge I alluded to. The pattern is much more diffuse and there is a bright spot above horizontal that will likely bother on-coming traffic when you are taking even a gentle, right hand curve, or when you move left a lane.

The round lenses of the LEDs just can not match the geometry of a long, thin 9006 filament.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:24 AM   #5
zoner

I've yet to see any LED headlight replacements that can match the intensity and correct beam pattern of a good quality halogen or xenon. Although, like John has said, these appear to address at least some of the issues of lesser LED bulbs. Still, you can get solid bulbs that you will not have problems with for about half that price.

1995 318ti Base - Cosmosschwarz/Sandgrau R.I.P.
1997 318ti Active - Alpinweiß III/Sandgrau
2013 328i Coupe - Le Mans Blau
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
paul somlo

I agree - the pics and videos that I've seen show plenty of light, but a pattern that could be better focused. I know that LED technology is viable in this regard, but I guess the geometry of the aftermarket replacements needs to either mimic the current halogens, or the reflectors need to change. I took a good look at my headlights today, and the bulb sits way back in the reflector, which I'm sure helps. I've been using the cheapest halogens from the auto store - is it worth the money to upgrade to more expensive ones, like the Silverlights?
Old 10-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #7
John Firestone

Why not pick up a set of OSRAM Silverstars and see what you think?

A lot of people like them. Their principle drawback is they have shorter, but brighter lives.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
paul somlo

I just looked at the specs for the Silverstars, same light output as the standard cheap bulbs. Maybe the focusing is different, or maybe the color temp helps. I sure wish there were a less expensive, definitive solution, than an HID upgrade (or buying a new car).
Old 10-19-2015, 06:40 AM   #9
kingofquoi

HID ftw
kingofquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
hotmilk400

I am actually an LED engineer.

Avoid LED headlights at all cost. They may be okay for dim brake lights, ect, but just stick with the old fashioned bulbs for headlights.

The reason you want to avoid LED light bulbs is that it is impossible for those bulbs to dump the heat. A correct setup would require a specially designed headlight fixture with a large heatsink. China produces these bulbs and does not care about that simple fact.

I just designed an 16.5W LED with an American company this week and the heat sink is 1.6lbs (0.725 kgs) and it keeps the bulb nice and cool. The large, bulking size of the heatsink is needed to remove the heat. If the LED bulb hits 80C, the bulbs lifespan will go down significantly. Companies are not obligated to share any of this information with you. Phillips just designed a new LED bulb with no heat sink, 10 watts. The thing is a fire hazard as it hits 150C (300F) and if you stick it inside an enclosure, it will get hotter until it shuts down. We broke it apart and the electronics where only rated for 105C, so those capacitors will exploded any day. They rate it for 25k hours, but I would be surprised if it hits 5000 hours.

Anyway, the point of the story is, you cant used LED headlights because the LED will overheat and go dim very early. LED bulbs dont "blow out", they get dim due to age/heat. If they "blow out" the electronics were junk and they broke first. China and shady companies know this. THey will give you an awesome product that produces plenty of light. After about 500 - 5000 hours, the bulbs will start to go dim due to the heat. By that point, you already told all of your friends how awesome they were and the company sold a million units and profited in the 100 million area. bulbs go to **** and they leave with smiles on their face and pockets full of money.

You need to look for large heat sinks and American companies when you buy LEDs. Anything over 5 watts will require a large heatsink. the bulb should not go over 70C for a quality product. (mine hardly hits 50C) most companies push them to 100C - 150C.

Knowing how much junk comes out of China, you are really playing with fire. Took apart about 50 different LEDs from china, and saw everything from electronics touching painted metal (could cause significant shocks, or fire), undersized heatsinks (low bulb life) wrong electronics used (mis-matched power supplies that overpower a small bulb) and dang, too much to list.

Xenon headlights are sexy, I have them in my 5 series. Would recommend you check them out if you have the budget. Otherwise, regular bulbs can be coated to be any color / brightness. Stay away from LEDs, they are just entering the residential market now, it will take them a few years to get into the car market.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!

Last edited by hotmilk400; 10-19-2015 at 03:45 PM.
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote