318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Anything other than automotive related.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,911 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,818 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,122 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles
Default As requested: Legitimately free software

As requested in another thread, here's a list of some of my fave legitimately free software. Most of these are open-source and are available for both Windows and Linux.

INTERNET
  • Firefox - web browser
  • Thunderbird - e-mail client
  • Pidgin - multi-protocol Instant Messaging client
  • butt - "Broadcast Using This Tool - streams the output of your sound card to a stream server. Can also record that stream as it goes out and save a copy on your hard drive. Very handy tool!
OFFICE SUITE
  • LibreOffice - office suite that supports most MS Office file formats.
UTILITIES
  • GIMP - Image editor
  • Blender - free open source 3D content creation suite, available for all major operating systems.
  • TightVNC - a free remote control software package. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer.
  • PortableApps - allows you to run software directly from a USB flash drive, (or other portable drive) and carry your favorite computer programs along with all of your bookmarks, settings, email and more with you. Use them on any Windows computer. All without leaving any personal data behind. I use this a LOT when traveling. It works significantly better if you have a USB2 port/device rather than USB1.
  • pendriveapps.com - same functionality as PortableApps. Pro: more applications listed. Con: it's just a collection of software, and doesn't have the base menu application like PortableApps.
MULTI-MEDIA
  • VLC - a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
    It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
    It doesn't need any external codec or program to work.
GAMES
I've played all of these except Warsow, Nexuiz and Tremulous.LIVE CD's
A "Live CD" is one that you can boot from and run the software contained on it regardless of what OS is installed on your computer. There are MANY Live CD's out there, most are variations of Linux, tweaked for specific purposes. These two are my favorite, though I haven't used the newest version of Knoppix very much at all.
  • Knoppix - a popular Linux system.
  • SystemRescueCD - many utilities for system recovery, hard drive formatting, etc.
FIREFOX EXTENTIONS
  • Adblock Plus - Ever been annoyed by all those ads and banners on the internet that often take longer to download than everything else on the page? Install Adblock Plus now and get rid of them.
  • Flashblock - blocks ALL Flash content from loading. It then leaves placeholders on the webpage that allow you to click to download and then view the Flash content.
  • Better Gmail - Add useful extra features to Gmail, like hierarchical labels, macros, file attachment icons, and more.
  • MediaPlayerConnectivity - Allows you to launch embeded video of website in an external application with a simple click.
  • Nuke Anything Enhanced - Allows hiding of almost anything via context menu 'Remove Object'.
  • PDF Download - Use PDF Download to do whatever you like with PDF files on the Web. Regain control of them and eliminate browser problems, view PDFs directly in Firefox as HTML, and use the all-new Web-to-PDF toolbar to save and share Web pages as high-quality PDF files.
  • Wikipedia Lookup Extension - Looks up up the selected word in the Wikipedia encyclopedia in the language specified in your user preferences.

Several folks expressed interest in CAD software, so I'll check around to see if I can find anything. But, I don't have any need for that sort of thing so I might not be the best judge of the usefulness of whatever I find.

There is a LOT of legitimately free software out there, you just need to do some googling to find it. :-)

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."

Last edited by roadrash; 03-06-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: updated some applications and links
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:55 AM   #2
roadrash

Vehicles
Default CAD Stuff

Googling for "free CAD software" found these interesting sites:
Free Mechanical Engineering CAD Software
FreeCAD

This site might be extremely useful for those who want a custom part but don't have fabrication skills:
emachineshop

There are probably more options out there. Let me know your specific needs and MAYBE I can help you find something useful.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
Old 05-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #3
wolferj-RIP

Very, Very nice... Great collection of software.

I have used many of them except tightVNC, which I will now have to try...

Big Thanks!
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
budget76

Awesome, thanks

I found out about VLC a couple months back, and it's all I use to watch videos on my computer. I have over 600gigs of movies/tv shows, and VLC plays every format I have. MUCH better than windows media player
1995 318TI base. 95 2.5L from 325IS. S50 cams+pistons, e36 M3 front brakes. H&R race springs F+R. Turner Motorsport front sway bars, M3 control arms. M Roadster rear sway bar. Racing Dynamics strut brace. e36 325i 5spd. 3.25lsd from e28 535is. M Roadster short shifter. Conforti chip.
budget76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:05 AM   #5
roadrash

Vehicles

Update: Added "pendriveapps.com" to the Utilities section.

Also, for what it's worth, I've been using the PortableApps platform on an 8GB thumbdrive. But, I've noticed that performance of the drive has been declining lately [1] so I've moved everything to an old 40GB laptop drive I had lying around. When installed in an enclosure it functions just like the thumbdrive but is a lot bigger. I'm also beginning to use some of the applications from pendriveapps.com

[1] I didn't expect the thumbdrive to slow down so quickly, but I guess that's what happens when you use it to run applications, including a web browser that does a lot of caching.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
roadrash

Vehicles

I just updated a few things in the first post. The most significant was to change OpenOffice to LibreOffice.

EDIT - also added "butt" in the Internet section

Last edited by roadrash; 03-06-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
bmwconnect

Openoffice