318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 106,638 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 69,562 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 66,811 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
dyskordia

Default door panel

My driver side door panel has been in my back seat for several months now.

I took the car to several places to get the window regulator repaired (3rd times the charm) and my door panel has suffered immeasurably as a result.

im missing a couple of the black brackets that are glued to the back of the panel that the little white clips attach to.

also, the round white fixture (approz 1/2" in diameter) in which the screw the goes through upper part of the door handle to to attach to the door itself is cracked. so every time i go to close the door the panel comes flying off in my lap.

so where can i get these 3 items..?

black door clip brackets

door panel clips

door handle screw housing thingamajig.
dyskordia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
tiFreak

Vehicles

the white clips are considered by BMW to be a part of the door panel, so you can't buy them separate, you'll have to buy the whole panel, your best bet is to find someone parting out a ti and selling the panel cheap, but you'll have to be quick because you're not the only person looking for them
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Borg561

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
the white clips are considered by BMW to be a part of the door panel, so you can't buy them separate, you'll have to buy the whole panel
That's a load of crap. The white clip part at least is easily damaged. Long story short, I just finished up my interior swap (loving the red millpoint btw). A couple of the black clips were missing from the new panels, and I generally pulled them off my old panels and used some epoxy to attach them. Problem is that two of the white clips (one on a rear panel, one on a front) were completely flattened, on the new panels, and my old panels. I know the one on my driver's door panel happened when the repair shop replaced my regulator. Guess I'll start looking at the part-out threads.

Justin
Borg561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
wolferj-RIP

A bit of confusion here I believe...

The black stand off posts are considered part of the door panel and cannot be bought separately. However, the white pegs that are on the top of the black posts can be easily purchased (about $.50 apiece) from the dealer or from any of the usual online sources (getbmwparts.com, pelicanparts.com, etc....

Here's the part # 51411973500

Just looked up the part at Pelicanparts... $.25 here;
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...C%20Each%20%20
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
Borg561

Interesting. So, any idea how to get the old white clips out of the black piece and the new ones in? They don't appear to simply snap out easily.

Edit: I searched RealOEM, and that part # came up on the two panel images. It was part #2 in the image, but there was also another part number for that item as well (51438189313; $0.95 on BavAuto, $1 on Pelican). I'll check with my local dealer and see if they have it/know what it is. If not, I'll probably order one. At worst, I figure I'll be out $1 or so, not a big deal.

Justin

Last edited by Borg561; 06-10-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Borg561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 AM   #6
wolferj-RIP

If you notice the end of the clip that fits into the post has a crescent moon shape. It allows you to kinda screw it in, by slipping one end into the whole on top of the post and then twisting the clip until all the moon shape has slipped into the hole.

The clip can come out the same way, but it's a bit more difficult to do. (I usually just break them off...)
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:21 AM   #7
grrrwoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyskordia View Post

also, the round white fixture (approz 1/2" in diameter) in which the screw the goes through upper part of the door handle to to attach to the door itself is cracked. so every time i go to close the door the panel comes flying off in my lap.
mine is also cracked. does anyone know the part number for it? i am also missing the second screw on the bottom of the door handle and i don't see a place where the missing screw would go on to. is there supposed to be a second plastic piece that it screws into? not seeing it in the real oem link...or am i missing something?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=51&fg=50

Last edited by grrrwoof; 06-14-2010 at 04:17 AM.
grrrwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
grrrwoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyskordia View Post

Hm ok so I found out that the part you are talking about is number 18 in the real oem link. part number 51418146797

I still don't know what the lower handle screw attaches to. It lines up to a hole in the regulator piece but that is it. It will spin freely if i put a screw in there.
grrrwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
budget76

seeing as I've completely overhauled two door panels, I'll post up my .02.

First off, the white pegs that actually snap into the door are easily obtainable. I wound up buying a box of 50 for like $9 off ebay. They are used on other cars too, so I've had other uses for them. The rear hatch cover uses them too.

To take the broken white pegs off, just use a set of wire cutters and clip the base so they are broken in half and come off. Installing consists of getting them half in, then twist them like a screw.

Black brackets/bases are not available. I have some extras somewhere, but need to find them. theres been about a billion people looking for em, so I know I'll have no problem selling them

Now for the screw. I had nothing to screw into either, so I used a rivnut and a machine thread screw for the lower hole, with a washer on it. A rivnut is a threaded insert that installs like a pop rivet. Harbor Freight sells a good kit for like $10, I use it for everything. It has a billion uses, you'll use it all the time when you have it.
1995 318TI base. 95 2.5L from 325IS. S50 cams+pistons, e36 M3 front brakes. H&R race springs F+R. Turner Motorsport front sway bars, M3 control arms. M Roadster rear sway bar. Racing Dynamics strut brace. e36 325i 5spd. 3.25lsd from e28 535is. M Roadster short shifter. Conforti chip.
budget76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
blndweasel

For the little white clips, the easiest technique I developed was to use a small flat head screwdriver, inserted in the slot on the clipping-end of the clip. then twist, and guide the crescent shaped retainer portion out of the hole.

The white clips should actually also have a small rubber gasket like silencer installed on them, to reduce vibration between the black standoff and the white clip. If these are missing or damaged, you can simply cut out a bunch of 1" squares of gasket paper, and drill a 1/4" hole through the middle. Works great.

For reattaching the black standoffs to the door card, the key is to re-use the factory glue because it acts as the perfect locator for the standoff. also, it makes a perfect impression of the standoff piece. superglue that shiet!

results: 100% solid door cards, no vibrations, no squeaks.

tbw

1/1997 M44 ti M-Sport Schwartz II
blndweasel is offline   Reply With Quote