318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 106,638 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 69,562 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 66,811 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #121
Mopho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORSPORTti View Post
i hope do not bother guys!!! i got a issue with mine since 2 months a go the temp is going normal when i drive ./ once i get traffic the temp gauge rise a little to 3/4 and later back to the center,(normal) that is a issue what i have to do?
Sounds normal to me, just top off the coolant and when putting any coolant in a BMW be sure to buy the BMW coolant (or Mercedes) which is over 20 bucks a gallon, but you will have less problems in the long run.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #122
MOTORSPORTti

thanx i will
MOTORSPORTti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #123
vandergat

Default part number

I have the M44 engine and the part on the back of the engine has already been replaced.

But I need to get the longer one for the side of the engine.

whats the part number?

and a site that sells them?
vandergat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #124
Mopho

you can get the block fitting that goes under the intake manafold from many sources, but I would get it from BMW or someone that sells OEM parts. I have heard horror stories about aftermarket warped fittings...
Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #125
Mr.Squeelerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandergat View Post
I have the M44 engine and the part on the back of the engine has already been replaced.

But I need to get the longer one for the side of the engine.

whats the part number?

and a site that sells them?
The very first post points you to the part number.

getbmwparts, pelicanparts, ecstuning, tischer, etc.

It is HIGHLY suggested that you purchase a BMW manufactured side fitting unless you like wasting time and money.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #126
dangerous_goods

Default 1996 318ti

I have a deposit down on a 1996 318ti Automatic with 153500km or 95380mils on the Odometer (verified by Carfax).
Anyway, I leave for in one week for a course that will involve me putting on over 5000km (3106miles) on the car this summer over the next two months.

My concern is that I don't know if the troublesome plastic parts of the cooling system have been replaced as there is no vehicle history past the last year with the current owner. So, I know you guys don't have a crystal ball but out of all your collective experience and from what I've read from this post I should be okay for the next few thousand kilometers or miles because most if not all the plastic component failures occured after 100,000 miles or 160,000 km right?

Is there anything I can do to try and prevent an early failure while away because I won't have any time while on course weekends or weekdays at all to do any kind of maintenance and a failure will really screw things up for me this summer.
I won't have any time to replace these parts before I leave but the car is in really good shape all things considered and I plan on doing the entire cooling system overhaul possibly minus the radiator as soon as I get back and have a free weekend.

Hoping to get some advice from you guys and thoughts on basically playing the odds and what my chances are? By the way, the mileage that I plan to put on over the next two months will all be highway.

Thanks!
dangerous_goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #127
Mopho

Well, DG ...
Since you got no advice, how did you do on your trip? We kinda flaked on ya, A?
(Spoken in my best Cannook accent).
Old 06-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #128
TroyAndEddie

For a late FYI: I swapped mine out at 105k when my radiator died. The plastic pieces were in great shape, but it was false economy not to swap everything out. Like any rubber or plastic part, failure is a mix of usage and luck of the draw. Some parts are run ragged and last forever, and some give out when granny's driving.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:12 AM   #129
jca

I have two e-36's, and both their radiators died at a little over 100K...like clockwork. The original plastic pipes I had changed out of the ti looked and felt OK, but who knows and who wants to take the chance.
jca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #130
Mopho

When I blew my rear plastic fitting and the water pump, ended up being from the lower radiator hose leaking and blowing the head gasket. Being a M-44, the rear fitting was totally destroyed and came apart in pieces, my mechanic told me when he took the head off part of the rear fitting was still in the head and he had to dig it out. So my plastic fittings along with the front one, were replaced along with the water pump I had already replaced...
I think if you do anything to the cooling system, all of these parts should be replaced to save time, labor and money including the radiator (my 96 ti had about 145,000 miles on it when the lower hose that had been replaced wrong blew).
Old 06-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #131
dangerous_goods

Hi guys,

Thanks for replying. I bought the ti and love it. I forget who said it on this site but it IS like driving a road legal go-kart!
I'm on course with the military and haven't had to do as much driving so far as I was originally worried about but I still plan to have or possibly do the cooling system overhaul quite nicely detailed here when I get back in July/August. I appreciate the feedback and the history on your experiences, it makes me a little less concerned that I couldn't get to the overhaul before I left.
I'll keep you posted.

Jason
dangerous_goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #132
hitchhike79

The head y piece just broke as i was driving up to the house. Hope to hell the engine didnt overheat, heat was in the middle when i parked and the rest of the coolant poured out.
Just getting the hose clamps loose was a pain! I really am not looking forward to putting those back on. Its not bad to get to with the battery box out but getting tools in there is a different story.
Parts on order, we will see
hitchhike79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #133
M-technik-3

Vehicles

Just picked up a 93 318iS M42 has a leaking one. This year's lemon racer.
M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #134
Daffy

Yer well, the one at the back of engine has just done me over... And i was on my way home from work on the freeway.
Got to about 5min from home and car started to die on me.. Looked down and temp was off the gauge. got off freeway and bang. car dies and nothing but steam from the engine bay. Anyway, head gone, and looks like i cracked it. No compression at all. All cycinders 0%. Had 215k on it. Anyway its at garage getting a new engine put in. I got 1 cheap with 104k on it with 3mths warry on it.
Hope to get it back next week. Damm cheap plastic parts
Daffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #135
pdxmotorhead

Has anybody tried just threading the hole and putting a fitting in? I'd use a machined threaded bushing and a AN fitting... Fix it once... Of course I have a M42...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote