318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Personal bios and Introductions

Notices

Personal bios and Introductions A short personal history.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 95,369 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 58,256 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 55,739 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 130,531 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-05-2007, 07:30 AM   #1
HATCHATTACK

Default E36 me... Maybe?

Hey, people want me to introduce myself... especially after being pissed at some random dude berating someone for building a GTS1 car before even 1 HPDE...

but anyway,

I own a 1990 325is. I wanted something I could play with and be comfortable and have ABS, 5spd, etc. Found this baby for $3500 in August 2003 with ground controls, 16" borbets, camber plates, etc. Seemed like quite the deal. Besides the rear half being oxidized...

First spring after buying it, wanted to do a track event just as is. Couldn't - bad subframe bushings. Get refund... save money for goodies. Buy urethane bushings, trailing arm bushings, 4.10 LSD, SS lines... added more on and on. had a chip too...

Huge install over the next winter. Lots of work. Bad motor mounts... urethane ones... 195-60-14 Azenis on stock wheels...

Track it. Love it. Do an Auto-X, did another. Did another track event. (Met Jon Siccardi from THR and he made fun of how long it took to do my subframe project and all while living an hour away without a car of my own while in college) And another to close out the year on 205 Azenis. Was blown away on how 10mm of tire would make that big of a speed difference. Had a Spec Miata racer push me and tell me to take corners faster. Car stays on track, I smile. And then some more Auto-Xes in between and all...

Another winter, I don't know what I did to my car, if anything. Got a recaro SRD - best investment period. (This was after my stock seat back was breaking and I was leaning away from the apex in the corners mind you)

April rites of spring DE = on ES100s... they handle heat alright but grip is not up to par ... but good times anyway. Focused on smoothness, and looking ahead. Gained a lot of speed just by staring down the Apex cones. Chased a Gallardo for a few laps and instructor made a crack about it... but the owner couldn't drive and admitted it in class.

Made the dumb decision to do two back-to-back weekends after promising I never would. Friend organized a Lotus lapping day and couldn't pass it up. Well, before the 1st session, I had a puddle of oil under the car. Frantic call to parents and run to auto parts stores... new copper ring and several quarts later... go out and have some fun.

JB welded the bolt in place and did the best DE of my life. Really nice engineer instructor... I had removed my 4.10 LSD by this time because it was whiney and took out my chip because 87 octane is much cheaper and made more sense since being a faster driver is more fun than a faster car.... and after a Lotus instructor not saying much, he criticized my braking, line, etc... and I shaved 3 seconds off of my lap time I had done the previous weekend. You are never done learning! And he was convinced I had R comps when rolling on Azenis.

Took off coilovers (part because my needle bearing was shot on one camber plate and it was popping... part because it's my daily and H&R sports made more sense and it's still fun to drive... ), got some all season tires and sold Koseis to a SpecE30 driver... after an Auto-X in the cold... brrrr!

One thing is certain - I did not want to listen to my DE-experienced pal when he told me to stop worrying about a MAF conversion and just to drive. But I definitely see what he meant.

If I could go back, I'd save the shorter diff and chip and injector that I thought were cool and really improved driving my car. I'd just get my bushings done and hop on track much sooner, a half a year earlier. Coilovers aren't horrible and help, but H&R sports are more beneficial 360 days a year.

I love my car... it needs some TLC, but it fits the bill. Maybe I could improve on it with an E36, but only it is can pack more friends or more beer in it. Ti's intrigued me, especially the 325ti one. But that rollbar just looks scary and I don't really need a track car to track... anything taken care of well and has four wheels will probably do.
HATCHATTACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #2
HATCHATTACK

oh yeah. last summer bought a $400 325e off a gf's friend. POS. put $100 in it to get a working radio, wipers, lights, etc. This was when I was really excited about tracking to the extreme and having a soft "daily". Yeah, well, turns out after the new car fun wore off, I missed the fun one, and I didn't see the point in stripping the car and would rather just make my red one get better gas mileage and be more comfortable... but i miss having a 4 door. Not worth having two cars in the driveway or the insurance, and yes, my mom was right and I was silly.

Also, bought some Hankook R-comps used for cheap off of a friend. Then decided it was not worth the hassle after attending an Auto-X with my friend Will and running them. half hour before and after, lugging around and then later storing tires? No thanks. Sure they were sticky, but not that serious about it. Azenis are still a lot of fun and grip great. Sold them to my friend Dave after hassling him to make sure he was ready for R comps.

So yeah. I learned the hard way that what you do to your car doesn't matter as what you gain in experience with it. It wasn't that expensive of a lesson, although it wasn't cheap. And personally, it never clicked until the classroom session after a few times on the track.

Not claiming to be an expert, hell... I'm still learning definitely. But there is things I can say to try to help and inform those not yet aware of it themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E80OeyKoRo
E30 325is with 300/475 GC, no rear bar and 205 Azenis sport tires. Stock power (~140rwhp) and 3.73 diff.
HATCHATTACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
REDIS

wow. your pretty hardcore. nice e30
Old 04-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
96cali

Much better intro than your first thread, but you will nevertheless be known as "the beer guy".

Welcome to our fetish.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HATCHATTACK View Post
Ban me, I don't really think I value any information this site lacks anymore. And definitely want a sedan over a useless hatch.
Goodbye
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Bluebimma

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Goodbye
Ouch!!!

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Goodbye
sssaaaaawwweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Did you make that yourself?

I realize that i was like this guy when i first came. Actually exactly like this guy when i first came. And i never did a proper introduction of myself either. I think i should make one?

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:30 AM   #8
S10mafia50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
sssaaaaawwweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Did you make that yourself?

I realize that i was like this guy when i first came. Actually exactly like this guy when i first came. And i never did a proper introduction of myself either. I think i should make one?
Nah, you didn't start off like him.....

And I'm still awaiting to see heeter come back to an autox......3 events this season, and no Heeter.....lol. Unless they sell before next week, I'm getting a set of 16x6.5 focus wheels, and Hoosier autox rcomps.....

if he shows back up, we'll see if his dsp E30(alaskablue beat him first time out last season) can beat a H-stock autotradgic focus.....

keystone is still not a beer.....its water with a hint of beer flavor...
Andrew
S10mafia50 is offline   Reply With Quote