10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Cybersid13
03-09-2024 02:12 PM
209 Replies, 681,961 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
onewhippedpuppy

Default '95 318ti - Supercharger, Sport Package, Many Extras

Summary: 1995 BMW 318ti, Downing-Atlanta supercharger, 1.8L M42 4-cylinder, 5-speed manual, sport package, many extras, 154k, $6500 OBO.

The average BMW 318ti is a fun, practical, and economical BMW hatchback that is only lacking for more power. With the addition of a Downing-Atlanta supercharger kit a lack of power is no longer an issue, giving this 318ti E36 M3 levels of performance while retaining the large hatchback cargo capacity, 30+ MPG highway mileage, and lightweight tossable handling, a benefit of being over 400 lbs lighter than a normal E36 coupe. The Downing-Atlanta supercharger is a simple and effective kit, very similar to OEM supercharged cars. The supercharger features a simple rising rate fuel pressure regulator to increase fuel pressure under boost as well as a bypass valve to allow the supercharger to freewheel at partial throttle. This bypass valve bypasses the supercharger at partial throttle conditions, reducing supercharger wear and maintaining the excellent stock MPG of the 318ti. The end result is power when you want it, excellent MPG when you don't.

The M42 1.8L 4-cylinder is an excellent platform for supercharging, with an overbuilt bottom-end and forged engine internals. The same engine used in the excellent E30 318is, it has a reputation for being incredibly reliable. The remainder of the E36 318ti is a mixture of BMW's best, utilizing the front suspension from the E36 and the rear suspension from the E30. The end result is that it maintains much of the E36 refinement, but also some of the tail-happy characteristics that make the E30 a fun and desired car. Equipped with the factory sport package this 318ti benefits from a limited-slip rear differential, lower and stiffer sport springs, larger front and rear anti-roll bars, and body-color side skirts. Other tasteful additions include an OEM suspension x-brace from an E36 M3, E36 M3 front brakes, front stainless steel brake lines, exhaust header, Dinan spark plug wires, cold-air intake, lightweight Z3 wheels shod with nearly new Michelin Pilot tires, short-shifter, console mounted VDO boost gauge, Depo projector headlights, lighted M3 shift lever, clear side markers and turn signals, and an electric fan conversion. Stock features of the car include an onboard computer, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, power moonroof, cruise control, ice cold air-conditioning and hot heat, leather interior, CD changer, rear wiper, and rubber all-season floormats. All features work as they should.

Overall this is a very nice car to drive, and served its life with me as a daily driver. The engine pulls very hard under boost with the supercharger producing between 7 and 8 psi depending on temperature, exactly as it should. The transmission shifts very well, with short precise throws (better than my Boxster) and absolutely no grinding. The clutch holds well with no slipping, the M3 brakes have excellent power, the car tracks straight on the highway, and the steering is smooth with no play. I've calculated up to 34 MPG on the highway, try that with most sports cars!

Painted in a rare Alaska Blue, this is a very attractive car. The paint is all original and still shines very well, with no clear coat fade. The Z3 wheels are perfect, with no curbing or scratches. All body panels still have their original VIN stickers, this is a true "no stories" used car. The exterior is very straight, with a few small dings and scratches that are small enough that they won't photograph. Inside is very nice as well, with nearly perfect carpet protected by rubber all-season floormats. I don't smoke, and there's no evidence of smoking or odor. The front seats are solid with no tears, but the leather surface dye has cracked and faded. The rear seats are very nice, with only a few surface marks and no wear. The dash is perfect with no cracks. The headliner is brand new, no sagging like you'll find in most older BMWs. As with most E36s the driver's door panel upper edge no longer fits as tight as it used to, but the door panels are otherwise very nice, without the delaminated pockets and you'll find on many other BMWs. All interior power accessories operate exactly as they should.

I've done a lot of maintenance and repairs during my ownership, I have all receipts which are summarized in an Excel file available via email. All maintenance was done with the objective of making this car a reliable daily driver. Major recent items replaced include the idle control valve, reseal of the supercharger and intake, fuel injectors removed and cleaned, fuel filter, fuel pump, Gatorback serpentine belt, A/C belt, belt tensioner and all idler pulleys, starter, spark plugs, fuel pump relay, DME relay, rubber intake elbow, engine coolant temp sensor, replacement of most intake and vacuum hoses, wiper blades, gas cap, brake and clutch bleed with ATE Super Blue, and a number of additional tasks. While this is a nice used car, it's still a used car. Over the years I've bought a number of cars online, so when I sell a car I create ads that I would like to see as a buyer. I believe in full disclosure, my goal is for the car to be nicer than described when you arrive to look at it. Bearing in mind my anal-retentive engineer perspective, here are the faults as I see them (if not mentioned previously). Exterior - front bumper normal rock chips and several scrapes on the underside. Interior - the radio and CD changer works well but the left channel fades in and out, MPG needle that no longer works on the cluster (the MPG readout on the OBC still operates well), wear to cargo area from loading/unloading items, steering wheel wear concealed by a cover, chip and marks in driver's side tint, airbag light is illuminated (like most BMWs) because I had a MOMO non-airbag wheel installed. Mechanical - shocks are due for replacement, occasional suspension vibration, small oil seep.

This BMW is a captivating blend of hatchback practical, excellent power, excellent MPG, lightweight handling, and unassuming subtle exterior appearance. I enjoy being unique, and a 318ti with M3 performance certainly fits the bill. I've used it as my daily driver and maintained it accordingly, but have decided to replace it with a Porsche Boxster. Currently this car is an excellent and fun daily driver, or would be an excellent platform for a driver's education or autocross car. I'm asking $6,500 OBO, far less than it would take to build a car like this. I can be reached at jessup3 at cox.net, or by PM. Lots of pictures and an Excel maintenance file available via email. Located in Wichita, KS. Thanks for looking!

onewhippedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
onewhippedpuppy

Old 02-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
slow_ti

very nice ti, and great price, i would be all over this if i was in the market again.
slow_ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
Canadian

i'm curious what's the mileage?
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #5
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
i'm curious what's the mileage?
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
onewhippedpuppy

Thanks slow ti.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Altitude

Superbly well written description on your ti, you don’t see that very often in this day and age.
That is one beautiful, nicely modified automobile you have there.
Only one thing I hate to point out is, I believe it is not the factory “Sport Package", it looks more like you have the "Active" model to me.

Good luck with the sale!
Steve

Still looking for a monthy driver
1988 M3 parked
1967 2000cs parked
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
onewhippedpuppy

I did some research on that topic and couldn't find any true conclusions on what the sport package did or did not include. All I know is that mine has the painted side skirts, LSD, front and rear sways, and a lower stance than most ti. No sport seats, but I'm told that those were a separate option.

Thanks for the compliment on the ad, I buy a lot of cars online so I write ads that I would like to see. Hopefully it's thorough enough that any shoppers don't have any questions when they're done reading.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
cooljess76

Unless your entire enterior was swapped out including the dash, door panels, center console, pillars, seats, carpet and visors, your car is most definitely not a sport. If your clock doubles as an OBC, which it looks like it does in the pic, you have an active model. While sport seats may have been an option, you're missing the rest of the sport interior package as well. Nice car BTW.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
Budget M3

As others have said, you definitely have an active package (which included the OBC, cruise control and the option for leather seats). In 1995, however, you could also order the sport package ALONG WITH the active package. In 1995 only, the sport package included the addition of LSD and suspension upgrades, but no exterior differences (i.e. no M-Technic treatments) and no sport seats. The side skirts on your car were only introduced with the club sport in 1995, and were standard on all 1996+ sport models with M-Technic aero parts, so these must have been added to your car somtime after the fact--probably to cover up the ugly gray primer lower panels that were standard on all 1995 318ti's.

The only way to tell for sure is to pull the build sheet, but I am thinking you have an ultra rare active AND sport 318ti. Don't get too excited, though...the rarity does not add anything to the value of the car, it just makes it an easier car to live with every day
Old 02-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
Altitude

Here is briefly what I understand about the 1995 model year.

1995 "Sport" vs 1995 "Base" and "Active"

The 1995 sport looks identical from the outside to the 1995 base and active models, with non-painted bumpers and side skirts. But like all 318ti sport models, it had the sport interior with sport seats and black dash and headliner and such, and also they came equipped with the sport suspension and the limited slip differential. LSD was an option in 1995 on the base and active models.

The Club Sport which was only available in 1995 came with everything that the "Sport Package" had, plus it included the M-technic body kit and M3 mirrors, and this was only available in black or red exterior paint.

Still love your car!
Steve

1988 M3 parked
1967 2000cs parked
Old 02-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
Budget M3

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/99/1...s_options.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...8ti/index.html

Last edited by Budget M3; 02-27-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Budget M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #13
onewhippedpuppy

I'll just describe what's on it, you guys can tell me the package.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:56 AM   #14
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
I'll just describe what's on it, you guys can tell me the package.
No need to. You have an OBC, you have an Active.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #15
Altitude

I bet it sells fast!
Steve

1988 M3 parked
1967 2000cs parked