318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 982,989 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
96cali

Default Mcoupe suspension fitment & opinion on coilovers?

I found some low milage Mcoupe say bars and HR coilovers FS and was wondering if someone can verify they will fit in the ti? I am 98% sure they will but want to double check. I think the sways are a nice upgrade but prolly the HRs are overkill/overpriced anyways and if they aren't a steal then having the wrong springs infront doesn't help. Any opinions on running the 6cyl-rated springs in front and lowered a bit for looks? Any experience w/ GC coilovers?

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:39 PM   #2
IndianaTravis

I am running 2.8 coupe suspension on my car.

Everything will attach, but the 2.8 coupe used the aluminum six, so the weight is closer.

You could probably call ground control and change out the springs for something a little more in line with what you need for a ti.

The rear track is wider on the z coupe, so I had to use a longer bolt to hold the rear shock in place.

I'm not sure the differences between the Z coupe and M coupe suspensions, so I can't help there.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/53.../signature.JPG
IndianaTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
snuggz

Everything Indiana says is true... and M Coupe and Z series suspension geometry is identical... but different from the Ti's, by alot. I'm currently running OEM M Coupe stuff, and the front end is not nearly as stiff as I'd like it. That's both a combination of OEM suspension and geometry changes, but I believe more the latter (I'm running an S52). If you look at pics of engine bays (or better yet hood up, from the side) on M Coupes and Zs you can see just how much farther forward those shock towers really are... and while I've never had the chance to compare them next to a (normal 6cyl) E36, I believe it's a good 2" at least. Of course, this probobly won't apply as much to your situation since they're coilovers... I was planning on switching out the front stuff for M3 Bilstiens/H&Rs or something similar, but obviously coilovers are superior, if only in terms of adjustment. I've heard great things about GCs stuff, and alot of bad things about their customer service.

BTW, if you don't wind up grabbing them, could you shoot me some info? I'm curious...
snuggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
96cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggz
M Coupe and Z series suspension geometry is identical... but different from the Ti's, by alot...

Of course, this probobly won't apply as much to your situation since they're coilovers...

BTW, if you don't wind up grabbing them, could you shoot me some info? I'm curious...
Not sure what you mean that the geom difference does not apply with coilovers (can u elaborate?) but since his asking price is not that much less than new ($1150 vs. $1250) I'm leaning away from these Mcoupe coilovers so no prob sending you the linky. But will the sways bolt up nicely? Or will the wider track screw me up? I think people have used the rears IIRC.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:41 PM   #5
96cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaTravis
I am running 2.8 coupe suspension on my car.

Everything will attach, but the 2.8 coupe used the aluminum six, so the weight is closer.

You could probably call ground control and change out the springs for something a little more in line with what you need for a ti.

The rear track is wider on the z coupe, so I had to use a longer bolt to hold the rear shock in place.

I'm not sure the differences between the Z coupe and M coupe suspensions, so I can't help there.
Maybe it's your sig, maybe cuz I dream of a silver ti but I really like the stance of your car Travis. Is it lower than a sport ti setup? Why did you go 2.8 z ?

Old 07-12-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
IndianaTravis

its probably just the angle of the picture. I'd say it is almost exactly what a sport ti would be at, it dropped right around a half inch from the base suspension. it rides very nice, though!

I'm using this setup because my car had the original shocks on it, and this suspension had 12,000 miles on it. and I got it free, thrown in when I bought my m-tech spoiler. it is basically a holdover until I get enough money to do h&r springs/bilstien sports. (which could be a long, long time.)

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/53.../signature.JPG
IndianaTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:23 AM   #7
snuggz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cali
Not sure what you mean that the geom difference does not apply with coilovers (can u elaborate?) but since his asking price is not that much less than new ($1150 vs. $1250) I'm leaning away from these Mcoupe coilovers so no prob sending you the linky. But will the sways bolt up nicely? Or will the wider track screw me up? I think people have used the rears IIRC.

Well, H&Rs have adjustable pre-load and rebound, so I was assuming you could tune it to a firmer/softer ride as you see fit...

Sways will fit fine, but you will need different endlinks for the front as M series suspension mounts to the sway on the strut housing rather than the LCAs... you may need different sway bushings as well, given the beefier nature of the M stuff... realOEM.com would help you sort that out.

The track won't make a difference; search J!M's posts for more info on the rear end stuff.
snuggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:10 AM   #8
96cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggz
Well, H&Rs have adjustable pre-load and rebound, so I was assuming you could tune it to a firmer/softer ride as you see fit...

Sways will fit fine, but you will need different endlinks for the front as M series suspension mounts to the sway on the strut housing rather than the LCAs... you may need different sway bushings as well, given the beefier nature of the M stuff... realOEM.com would help you sort that out.

The track won't make a difference; search J!M's posts for more info on the rear end stuff.
I think the Z/M coupe mounts to the LCAs same as a ti:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...66&hg=31&fg=05

In which case I think the sways will fit. I'm not too schooled on using realoem or ETK- how would I get actual verification? On the other hand I could just bug my wrench- he loves it when I do that! Here is a comparison of M vs. Ti front end components

Last edited by 96cali; 07-15-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:36 AM   #9
96cali

Ok looked a little more and was reminded that the Ti front sways are 26mm sport or 25mm base, the M coupe is 23mm. The rear is fatter than ours - 19mm vs. 16mm sport or 14mm base. Also checked 323ti and it is 25.5mm/16mm. My shopping list keeps getting shorter.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:28 AM   #10
cali-ti
aka Stabby

the m-coupe front sway should attach to the struts like the M3, not to the control arms like the ti and that's why the m-coupe front sway is smaller diameter.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:37 AM   #11
96cali

thanks for setting me straigh guys. I knew that about the M3 but thought the M coupe/ster was different.