318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 99,085 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 62,014 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,286 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
blndweasel

Default M44 Replacement / Strut Tower Reinforcement

1997 ti M-sport, M44 5-sp. M3 front suspension, with L/R swapped strut guide plates. 140K miles

Before:

After:

So my M44 was leaking oil and coolant, which looked like it was coming from the head gasket area. Lots of moisture on the passenger side of the block. I was seeing about a tsp of fluid on the ground after every park.
I had my suspicions that the oil pressure baffle / relief valve on the oil filter housing was going too. I went as far as starting the procedure for an oil filter housing gasket replacement (found here link), and got down to the housing itself when I noticed the moisture on the other side of the block as well. I just decided to stop at that point, and search for another M44.
I came across an M44 from forum member (318ti Ghost), with 64K miles on it. Dry block, no leaks!

Change directions here and talk suspension. I have M3 struts, Ground Control springs, with M3 guide plates, which were swapped L/R for additional camber and caster. Solid control arm bushings. Real stiff setup. Note: M3 strut guide plate reinforcements were NOT installed. This, ultimately, may have been the cause of the failure. Due to the added stiffness of the M3 setup, plus the difference in where these forces are applied with reference to the stock strut location, cracks were developing in the stock shock tower. (stock struts come up centered in the bore of the strut tower, M3 setup with L/R swap is inboard and rearward of the stock location)

Now I had noticed this crack before, but it was only about ¾” to 1” of separation at the time. I figured I would have to deal with it eventually, but that it was okay for the time being. Much to my surprise, the crack was accelerating. 3” of separation, from the inner upper bore of the shock tower, near the inboard mount stud. And on both towers, the inboard mount stud was angled inward, indicating flex and failure of the guide plate. Sure enough, even the guide plates were cracked in these same spots.
Fortunately for me, (318ti Ghost)’s brother Scott wasn’t intimidated by this, and immediately suggested a reinforced upper plate be fabricated and welded in. Initial discussion also involved an inboard reinforcement section, but upon later analysis, it was determined this wouldn’t necessarily benefit the ti shock towers’ conservative inboard lean angles. We will, however, be adding a custom strut bar for further reinforcement.

The repairs took a few days, one day for measurements, another day for fitting and me receiving instructions on how to prepare the surfaces, another two days for welding.

Unfortunately, my garage didn’t have a 220V hookup, and we only have one hot line coming in from the street, so I had to rent a generator that supported 220V for the MIG welder. With some clever scheduling, I was able to only pay for one day of rental ($70).

After the repairs were complete, I primered and rattlecanned it with Krylon rust-tough semi-flat black. Matches the non-clear coated BMW Schwartz of the engine bay pretty darn well. Had left over half-cans, so I sprayed my kidney grilles while I was at it.

Installation is reverse of removal!

M44 – 64K miles. Fresh Sachs clutch, full kit from Pelican parts. Mangled one of their fancy $50 pilot bearing puller tools in the process – word of warning – just go buy a slide hammer with hooks from harborfrieght for $17. Wayne at Pelican was cool, and refunded me for the tool. I sent him the old bearing to show that it wasn’t scuffed on the outer bore, or rusted, or anything. It wasn’t even in there very tight, it’s just the cheap metal in their tool buckled. He says the quality has been going down.

New T-stat housing, rear block coolant fitting, main block coolant fitting, swapped in water pump from my old engine (only had 30K on it) with new gasket, handful of other new gaskets here and there, and other various clips, nuts, bolts, etc.

I’m proud to say that there is only one broken or missing OEM clip in my engine bay – the A/C line retainer clip that ties in to the passenger shock tower. EVERY other freaking plastic clip or attachment is OEM complete! It’s like a dream – no sounds at idle, everything is nice and clean. Feels like I just completed a giagantic fracking hobby kit out of the realoem.com ‘fiche pages.

The only item of note on the 64K block going in -- when I pulled the water pump, there were some deposits in the cooling circuit. Looks like someone was either using standard glycol with phosphates, or tap water, or something…. Crusty buildup that scratches off with your fingernail, and can be ground down into powder between your fingertips. Cooling system is therefore due for a flush because of this.

I even managed to replace a few missing screws from the valence area and wheel wells, helping secure my front bumper better than ever. It feels SO SOLID now. It’s such a rewarding feeling.

So, if you have any questions, or would like further information, please let me know. I can happily say that I have personally torqued every fastener I got my hands on to factory spec, and I have to say – the Bentley manual was a huge savior here. Aside from a few torque values that aren’t published, I was able to figure everything out with its help.

The best part of all – after 5-6 seconds of pumping gas back into the rail, the motor fired right up and ran like clockwork. After briefly bleeding the coolant circuit, I was off tearing up the streets. Did I mention how SOLID everything feels!

The old M44 will be drained, disassembled, bagged, and put into storage for a build project next summer. Haven’t decided what to do with it yet.

Cheers!
tbw
(the blonde weasel)

1/1997 M44 ti M-Sport Schwartz II

Last edited by blndweasel; 06-01-2010 at 09:36 PM.
blndweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
blndweasel

Strut Tower Project is here:

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...159#post274159

Last edited by blndweasel; 06-20-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
tiFreak

Vehicles

nice setup, the reinforced towers look sweet
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
familytruckster

Vehicles

Nice welds!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
blndweasel

Default More Pics

Additional Photos are in my gallery:

Blondeweasel.com

Old 06-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
dave45056

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytruckster View Post
Nice welds!
+1... welds look great. Glad the hood still closes, too.
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Dude that takes some serious balls. Nothing can describe the feeling when you take an angle grinder to your car. Nice work!
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
blndweasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Dude that takes some serious balls. Nothing can describe the feeling when you take an angle grinder to your car. Nice work!
You mean like this? (Scott takes credit for the grinder work in this photo)

The only thing that sucked was, and this is a helpful note to others, the flying sparks from a grinder are hot enough to melt glass. I have a bunch of tiny metal specks that are bonded to my windshield now. You can chip them off, but they take the underlying glass with them.

Note to self: cover the windshield next time.

tbw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	shock-tower-133.jpg Views:	948 Size:	80.5 KB ID:	9963  

Last edited by blndweasel; 06-02-2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
batmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blndweasel View Post
Additional Photos are in my gallery:

Blondeweasel.com
Where did you get the laughing man window decal?? I want one!
batmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
blndweasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmite View Post
Where did you get the laughing man window decal?? I want one!
ebay. it's of marginal quality, the word wrap around the logo leaves something to be desired. plus, the little letters come off very easily. At this point he's missing his eyes, and I have to explain the sticker to everyone because it no longer can be considered English.

"wha_ I tho__ht I'd do _as, I'd pret__d I was on_ of __ose _eaf m_tes"

The difference between good cartoons and all the rest is when they send shivers down your spine.

;P

tbw

Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
Breticus

So my car is gonna need a strut tower job. I'd like some info on the subject. I don't have the tools or skills to do the project myself, but do you think I should buy all new struts and cut and replace or do sort of what you did and just cut the top and make a new cap. Also around how much would it cost?
Breticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
blndweasel

I don't understand, do you need new struts, or are your strut towers torn? My strut towers were damaged due to swapped M3 strut mounts offsetting the center of force as applied from the suspension -- the tear was clean and the geometry of the structures was still correct.

If you are in a similar situation, and are taking it somewhere to be worked on, expect to pay quite a bit, they will (should) remove the engine to have proper access to the area for prepping, welding, cleanup, paint.

If you can take out your engine and have someone else do the welding, expect to pay from $500-1000 for labor, materials, and equipment rental.

tbw

Old 11-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
Breticus

One of them is mushroomed from bottoming out one day. I was recommended by almost everybody to just replace and reinforce. Heard you can just reshape and reinforce though.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
blndweasel

Well my advantage was that the geometry was still correct to use as a reference point. You have to get the height and angle exactly correct, obviously. I would have an experienced body shop that can handle frame alignment do this, unless you are willing to get it almost-correct. Or you can get it close enough and then the rest can be sorted out during alignment.

tbw

Old 11-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
Breticus

So you recommend replace as well?