318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,006,931 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
bulgarian

Default New stereo problem!

Ok guys i'm new here, so don't laugh I have a 1996 BMW 318ti and i'm trying to install a new stereo head unit-Kenwood MP 145 in my car. I took out the stock one, no problems. I also bought the wire harness adapter off ebay which was listed as suitable for 318 i, but i dont think there is a difference. I also got the antenna adapter. I tried to hook it up and the unit lights up and works fine, except there's no sound coming from my speakers. I tried it with a different separate speaker and it worked fine. I really hope somebody could help me on this one. What do you think is the problem here?
bulgarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
bamaland

make sure you have the amp line hooked up, also locate and check the plugs on the factory amp. the factory amp must be hooked up for the radio to produce sound through the speakers.
bamaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
spazman1990

Yeah. i guess the 318ti fourm here wants you to by pass the stock amp. even tho all the wires are pre ran for you. im in the process of trying to figure out how to get the stock amp to receive the signal so i can get door speakers. with a aftermarket deck. The best course of action is just to run wire... i guess QQ
spazman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazman1990 View Post
Yeah. i guess the 318ti fourm here wants you to by pass the stock amp. even tho all the wires are pre ran for you. im in the process of trying to figure out how to get the stock amp to receive the signal so i can get door speakers. with a aftermarket deck. The best course of action is just to run wire... i guess QQ
The factory amp is only designed to work with the factory headunit. Most if not all aftermarket headunits have built in amplifiers that provide enough power to operate the factory speakers. Don't think of the factory amp like an aftermarket amp. The reason you have to bypass it is because your aftermarket headunit is already supplying power for the speakers. You can't have an amplified signal going into the factory amp and then to the speakers, it won't let you. If you want to use an aftermarket amplifier to power your door speakers and a separate amp to power your sub, you need to use an RCA cable splitter("Y" adapter) from the back of your headunit, then run the RCA cables to your aftermaket amplifiers. The RCA cables don't utilize the headunit's built in amplifier.

Last edited by cooljess76; 08-12-2011 at 11:54 PM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:22 AM   #5
spazman1990

ha. now was that so hard to say?? but i don't get it why i can't use a harness which is made for my car. to power the stock amp. to have speakers work. instead of having to run so many wires seems kinda backwards thinking.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazman1990 View Post
ha. now was that so hard to say?? but i don't get it why i can't use a harness which is made for my car. to power the stock amp. to have speakers work. instead of having to run so many wires seems kinda backwards thinking.
I honestly didn't want to help because it seems like no matter what I say, you're gonna ghettofy your car anyway. The backwards thinking is you trying to make something work that was never intended to work for what you're doing. Your aftermarket amplifier only needs three things. Power/ground, remote trigger and RCA inputs. That's all. Your factory door speakers don't need an amp if you're using a factory headunit. Just run them off of the headunit. If you're running aftermarket door speakers that require more power than your aftermarket headunit puts out, run a separate multi-channel amplifier using an RCA cable "Y" splitter. Your amplifiers should have built-in crossovers. You can have the one for your sub set to only produce low frequencies and the one for your doors, kick panels and rear speakers to produce high and mid range frequencies.

The factory wires going to your factory amp are too small to run an aftermarket amp.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:37 AM   #7
bullmand

Your harness adapter may not be exactly correct. I had a similar problem with my Sony headunit. It was only powering the amp when I played a CD and wouldn't with the radio. There's a thread on here somewhere about what to change. Search for Sony and you should find it. IMHO, if you're going to stick with the stock speakers the factory amp is just fine.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:41 AM   #8
hotmilk400

trust us, i am pretty sure the easiest thing to do it bypass your amp in your trunk. there should be a thread on here.

you can not have 2 amps hooked up like that. you can not have your radio send a powered signal to the 2nd factory amp in the car. it would distort the sound and eventually break the amp/speakers or blow the amp up.

you can easily bypass the amp in the trunk and get all the speakers to work in your car without running new wire to them. it would be so much harder to do that.

like they mentioned, the factory amp is only used because the factory radio was not made to work without it. you do not need it since you have a radio now.

heck, sell it on here or on ebay for like $50 or more (if it still works) easy money for a lump of black junk in your trunk.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:39 AM   #9
spazman1990

Well my only real goal here is that i wanted to get the door speakers working.. . 'Im very thankful for you're replays
Old 09-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
defjinoz

Default amp

Looking for a factory amp for 96 318ti...anyone know where to find?
defjinoz is offline   Reply With Quote