318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,006,112 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-22-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
bennyfizzle

Default OBD1 S52 in 1993 318 issues, please help/read, fuel/electrical related

Wow guys, I dig the search fetching when you make a thread title..very cool. You guys have vB loaded with extensions here eh? I realize this is not a 318ti specific question but you guys have a large knowledge base of 6 cylinder swapping 318s here. Anyways, I'm in the final stages of swapping my OBD1 converted, S52 with my donor car's (6/95 M3) S50 harness and 413 silver label. The swap was originally performed by turner into the donor car, and is set up exactly like an s50, so treat these questions as S50 swap questions. The only difference between when this motor was in my M3 and now tha tit's in the 318 is the fuel system, the 318 has the early style twin pump system. I snipped the #66 green wire from the dme connector to disable EWS. The car cranks, but will not start. The fuel pump(s) will not turn on. Swapped the fuel pump relay with a known working one, and same result. The fuel pump runs when I jump the relay pins 30 to 86, but even with it jumped the car refuses to start. With the key in the "ON" position, the fuel gauge reads empty, I know for a fact it is not. Injectors were rebuilt, haven't checked fuel pressure but when the pump relay is jumped I can hear fuel flowing through the rail loudly, and the pumps are obviously running. The car gives code 1281 "DME memory" or something, which is a common thing after disconnecting the battery, or with low voltage, I've had it before, and everybody with a battery kill has this code regularly. The DME was in a clean dry place while I was performing the swap, there's no reason for it to be bad. Haven't messed with the DME main relay, but is there anything I'm missing here blatantly that you guys could point out? It seems like nothing is communicating with the sender/pumps when the key is "ON". I have a bentley and will probe for grounds at the fuel pump 85 pin to ensure the dme is triggering a ground tomorrow. I do have a small odyssey PC680 for a battery that very well may be spent, but when jumped to a running car with a good battery it still doesnt start. Just cranks and cranks, even with the fuel pump relay jumped. In addition the car is currently open header, and I would think I'd smell fuel if the injectors are firing but not being ignited. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Last edited by bennyfizzle; 05-22-2010 at 03:56 AM.
bennyfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:56 AM   #2
bennyfizzle

ok that was all in paragraphs before I posted it, sorry guys.
bennyfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #3
Bimmerella

Vehicles

i hope someone can help! ur project needs to be hittin streets soon lol nice weather is here =P too bad it wasnt really a ti cuz then id be VEEEEERY jealous hahaha anyways someone here should be able to help theres some very intelligent folk on here =) can u believe i still have yet to put them sides n bumper on my damn car! i had someone paint them and they fudged them all up and now theyre sittin in my garage =( UGH!!! mirrors are on though! haha! well good luck benny!

95"tits inside"
Bimmerella is offline   Reply With Quote