318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,024,620 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-07-2005, 03:40 AM   #1
PettitWC

Default Bav Auto Springs

Just wondering if anybody else noticed but BAVAUTO raised the prices on their springs to $225!!! What's that all about?? If i remember correctly they were only $200 like a week ago...

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:42 AM   #2
PettitWC

One more thing...I'm now looking at H&R race springs from understeer.com which are now the same price as the bavauto ones so if anybody has any complaints about them please let me know...and how are they on speed bumps and can i still fit 7.5s up front and 8.5s in the back with out fender rolling...thanks again

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 04:29 AM   #3
AlaskaBlue

I am looking at H&R race springs also. I have 8.5s all around with 215 tire. What about replacing suspension bushings, and aluminun e30 M3 control arms?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:41 AM   #4
L84THSKY

I thought I remember them being $180.00, when I first checked last Sept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettitWC
Just wondering if anybody else noticed but BAVAUTO raised the prices on their springs to $225!!! What's that all about?? If i remember correctly they were only $200 like a week ago...

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 04:57 AM   #5
L84THSKY

Does your flywheel cause idle problems? What else was swapped with the flywheel......clutch and slave? Did you install yourself, if not, how much to do it?
What's it feel like? I wanna do that, along with a LSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBlue
I am looking at H&R race springs also. I have 8.5s all around with 215 tire. What about replacing suspension bushings, and aluminun e30 M3 control arms?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 03-07-2005, 06:32 PM   #6
AlaskaBlue

When I got the flywheel put on I also had sachs clutch kit put on. I didn't do it my self because of he equipment needed to do this. Parts cost 800 dollars, and labor was 400. The car still idles fine, but you can hear the flywheel rattle if you are outside the car. You can also hear the flwheel if you accelerate then deccelerate. I think it was money well spent because I had to get a new clutch anyway so why not get the flywheel. I think it made the car faster, and it revs like crazy. I also have the 3.45 LSD it works nice.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #7
96cali

The spring cost may reflect the world wide increase in steel cost. China is gobbling up all they can based on our demand for goods from them and extensive infrastructure/gov't improvements. No signs it will slow down either.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:09 PM   #8
John W

Default Re: H&R Race Springs

I have H&R race springs (and Bilstein Sports). Speed bumps need to be taken slowly and at an angle. Rolling over them straight causes the car to bang down hard on the front frame rails. Otherwise, it rides and handles well, but you will see wear on the inside of the tires due to excessive negative camber up front and toe-in in the rear.

I will probably swap them out for the regular H&R Sport springs or the Bav Auto springs. Anyone have a preference?
John W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:37 PM   #9
L84THSKY

Do you think that replacing the springs with Bav Auto springs will eliminate the camber issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W
I have H&R race springs (and Bilstein Sports). Speed bumps need to be taken slowly and at an angle. Rolling over them straight causes the car to bang down hard on the front frame rails. Otherwise, it rides and handles well, but you will see wear on the inside of the tires due to excessive negative camber up front and toe-in in the rear.

I will probably swap them out for the regular H&R Sport springs or the Bav Auto springs. Anyone have a preference?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 03-07-2005, 07:41 PM   #10
L84THSKY

I'm doing something major this summer, not sure what. I'm thinking lightweight flywheel and M3 clutch and a LSD. But......If I put in a lightweight flywheel, should I use a 3.45 LSD or go with the 3.73 LSD?

My car only has 40K miles, so replacing clutch now seems like a waste.

I'm not sure what combination of flywheel and diff is best. Would prefer to keep RPM's down while cruising.

Quote:
When I got the flywheel put on I also had sachs clutch kit put on. I didn't do it my self because of he equipment needed to do this. Parts cost 800 dollars, and labor was 400. The car still idles fine, but you can hear the flywheel rattle if you are outside the car. You can also hear the flwheel if you accelerate then deccelerate. I think it was money well spent because I had to get a new clutch anyway so why not get the flywheel. I think it made the car faster, and it revs like crazy. I also have the 3.45 LSD it works nice.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 03-08-2005, 03:09 AM   #11
AlaskaBlue

the 3.45 is at 3,000 rpms going 65 and 3,500 at 75
Old 03-08-2005, 05:37 AM   #12
L84THSKY

What about negative camber?

What creates the negative camber, the wider tires, or lowering the car, or both?

I wanna install my 17's with the 235/45 tires this spring, without lowering the car. Will the tire shop be able to align and get the camber right?

Quote:
the 3.45 is at 3,000 rpms going 65 and 3,500 at 75

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 03-15-2005, 11:03 AM   #13
Boxbrownie

if you think about it the wheels have no effect on geometery at all, you could just bolt a couple of 20mm thick discs on the hubs (in fact this is how geometery is checked in R&E) and the effect would be the same as having 315 tyres on 10" wheels

Its all in the suspension set up...bushes...springs....rod lengths etc

Having said that of course if you had slight misalignment before you change your wheels and tyres for bigger combinations then the errors will be accentuated by wear and possibly any vibration/shimmy will be worse.

best regards David
Boxbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:54 PM   #14
L84THSKY

That's good news. So I will install my 235/45/17 tires on my new 17's, and have it aligned. I should be fine for this summer, and then decide if I wanna change the suspension later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxbrownie
if you think about it the wheels have no effect on geometery at all, you could just bolt a couple of 20mm thick discs on the hubs (in fact this is how geometery is checked in R&E) and the effect would be the same as having 315 tyres on 10" wheels

Its all in the suspension set up...bushes...springs....rod lengths etc

Having said that of course if you had slight misalignment before you change your wheels and tyres for bigger combinations then the errors will be accentuated by wear and possibly any vibration/shimmy will be worse.

best regards David

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 03-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #15
Boxbrownie

Yep.........I'm having my 225/45x17 aligned tomorrow evening.......they have a little too much toe out, I tried to adjust it at the weekend but the bloody tie rod is too tight! So I will let the garage bugger it up, then they can fix their mistake!

Best regards David
Boxbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote