318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Today 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 939,005 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,600 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #1
Clanche

Default Nick G ECU - What Stage?

Ok here is my situation. Ordering a DASC supercharger with a Stromung cat-back. Everything else on the car is ready to go (cluth, flywheel, tires, brakes, suspension, etc..). I did a compression test and every looked good and equal accross all cylinders. There is a small external leak in my head gasket so it will need to be changed sooner or later. Here is what I had in mind:

Phase 1
I was thinking of installing the DASC with the stock pulley and running the 7-8psi of boost to start.

Phase 2
For phase 2 (once I save up enough again) I will change my headgasket for a thicker one to lower the compression, change to a 12-15psi pulley and get the Nick G. Stage 3 ECU with the large injectors, etc..

What I'm not sure about is what I should be doing ECU wise for Phase 1. SHould I get the Nick G. Stage 1 or Stage 2 or not bother till I change my pulley? Any suggestions would help.

Thanks
Clanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
HuGo

Im not sure on the m42, but on the m44 the highest you can go to is 12psi but thats just running on the danger zone. As for me, i bought a 10psi pulley to be in the safe side, and i will be going the stage 3 route in about 2-3 weeks. Just leave your ecu alone until you go with Nick G.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Clanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
Im not sure on the m42, but on the m44 the highest you can go to is 12psi but thats just running on the danger zone. As for me, i bought a 10psi pulley to be in the safe side, and i will be going the stage 3 route in about 2-3 weeks. Just leave your ecu alone until you go with Nick G.
Does that mean you are running a 10psi pulley (I'm guessing 3.6" right?) on the stock ECU right now? How does it run?

What what exhaust system do you have? Not sure if I should bother with that yet.

BTW: I have a 1997 M44
Old 05-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
HuGo

Ive bought a 2.25" stromung cat-back (not installed yet). No i am not running the pulley. I will install it once i send my ecu to get done. By the way, its $900 and you gotta buy your own HFM. Im not sure if its really worth that much for 17.5 Hp (not sure how much more HP will the pulley differ) but its free to me so why not.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

I'm running 9psi on the stock ECU. I just cranked up the fuel pressure and did some data logging with a wideband o2 sensor to make sure I was safe.

Get NickG's Stage 3 software if you have the money. It's not worth it for me to get the software, I've been running strong for 50k miles on the stock ECU...

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
Clanche

Well everyone is telling me to change the headgasket first, which means the supercharger would be put on hold for a few months because the machining the head, new thicker head gasket, new springs is a $2000 job.

Any idea on the thickness of the head gasket to achieve a 9:1 compression ratio? And how much performance do you think I would loose (until I could afford to put on the DASC again)?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanche View Post
Well everyone is telling me to change the headgasket first, which means the supercharger would be put on hold for a few months because the machining the head, new thicker head gasket, new springs is a $2000 job.

Any idea on the thickness of the head gasket to achieve a 9:1 compression ratio? And how much performance do you think I would loose (until I could afford to put on the DASC again)?
I don't see any reason to drop compression. The m62 supercharger get really inefficient above 10psi. Since you can run 10psi safely with NickG stage3, why not just do that?

You'll likely lose power if you drop compression and try to run more boost.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 05-08-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
Clanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
I don't see any reason to drop compression. The m62 supercharger get really inefficient above 10psi. Since you can run 10psi safely with NickG stage3, why not just do that?

You'll likely lose power if you drop compression and try to run more boost.
I'm dropping the compression to make it safer at higher boost.

As anyone ever tried to use the DASC manifold with a different supercharger?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
Clanche

Starting to lean towards the Mosselman now. Anyone know of a good place to purchase one? What's a price range I should be looking at for the kit?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #10
HuGo

Quote:
I'm running 9psi on the stock ECU. I just cranked up the fuel pressure and did some data logging with a wideband o2 sensor to make sure I was safe.

Get NickG's Stage 3 software if you have the money. It's not worth it for me to get the software, I've been running strong for 50k miles on the stock ECU...
How much HP do you think you gained by doing what you did? 10-15?

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 05-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #11
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanche View Post
I'm dropping the compression to make it safer at higher boost.

As anyone ever tried to use the DASC manifold with a different supercharger?
It's safe up to 10psi with NickG's tuning, no need to drop the compression.

You'll need to use a m90 or bigger to get additional boost without losing efficiency, but remember a bigger blower takes more hp to turn.

Honestly, the DASC is the safest way to go. NickG's stage 3 if you want to get the most out of it.

The Mosselman kit is cheap, and only puts out like 150hp, very low quality, very low boost.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 05-09-2007, 01:13 AM   #12
jonchino

I found this table in bmw performance book.

8 psi -- 10.5:1
9-10psi -- 10.:1
11-12psi -- 9.5:1
13-14psi -- 9.0:1
15-16psi -- 8.5:1

porsche 911 turbo has 7.0:1
jonchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:41 AM   #13
Clanche

Quote:
The Mosselman kit is cheap, and only puts out like 150hp, very low quality, very low boost.
I had heard good things about the Mosselman kit. From what I gather, the T25 Garrett turbo that comes with it can perform very well at 15psi (same turbo that's on the Nissan SR20 engines. As long as the turbo manifold is good than piping and intercooler can be replaced as more boost is introduced.

I'm sure the DASC is a great choice, but a cooled turbo with a lower CR seems like a better bet, especially for the 12-14psi range.

Is the Mosselman kit still available. I tried contacting Korman but no response...
Old 05-09-2007, 04:43 AM   #14
Clanche

Can the Nick G Stage 3 software still be used for a Turbo setup?
Old 05-09-2007, 05:22 AM   #15
HuGo

Go ahead and run 15psi. Let me know how the fried internals smell. Seriously, it doesnt matter if the turbo can handle it, but can your internals?

Heres how you can find out about the software...

(954)260-5131
info@techniquetuning.com

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...