318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Brakes

Notices

Brakes From what pads to use to brake upgrades.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 982,989 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-20-2005, 02:13 AM   #1
Bzuefishx

Default Korman Brake Kit

Still trying to decide what to do - opinions?

Korman Big Brake Kit 328/325/318

The potential for substantial increases in acceleration and top end speed of the 328, 325, 318iS and Ti models is so great, especially with turbocharging, that serious improvements in braking capacity must be considered. These kits are true bolt on units, no cutting or welding required. Some 16" wheels will give sufficient clearance for this kit, but it is designed to work with wheels 17" in diameter or larger.

P/N 341123625

Korman Big Brake Kit

328/325/318/318Ti

Larger Calipers, Larger Master Cylinder, Larger Pads (included, Ferodo)

front rotor - 315x28mm
rear rotor - 280x20mm
Bzuefishx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:15 AM   #2
GDB

I see no point. Just go with E36 330 brakes or E36 M3 brakes. They will be plenty to stop you.
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:20 AM   #3
cali-ti
aka Stabby

interesting ... sounds like that would be vented rear brakes at that size (280x20). wonder what they use. how much is the kit?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:49 PM   #4
Bzuefishx

GDB - I think the M3 conversion is a half-@$$ measure. If done correctly, it is a complicated, expensive process. I know I'll get a lot of disagreement about that statement, but all I have to do is ask the pertinent questions regarding the necessary parts and mods - I get ten different answers, all of which seem amatuerish, overly complicated, or both. I especially enjoy the explanations about how they sourced the necessary suspension parts - I'm not interested in welding some wrecked M3's crap on my car.

cali-ti - Unfortunately, Korman does not publish prices on their website - have to call them for current pricing.

Anyone else have an opinion? If you don't have an opinion re: the brake kit, I would like to hear about Korman as a company - reputation, value, service, etc.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
KIRASIR

1) 330 brakes are a direct bolt-on, and take about an hour to install both sides.

2) Korman is a well reputable company with crazy prices.

3) Unless you are a heavy track junkie, you don't need those brakes. It will be money thrown away.

4) 330 front conversion costs 300USD (Brand new rotors and pads).

5) Korman kit will be around 2K USD. Do you really want to spend this kind of money on brakes you will never need?

SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzuefishx
GDB - I think the M3 conversion is a half-@$$ measure. If done correctly, it is a complicated, expensive process. I know I'll get a lot of disagreement about that statement, but all I have to do is ask the pertinent questions regarding the necessary parts and mods - I get ten different answers, all of which seem amatuerish, overly complicated, or both. I especially enjoy the explanations about how they sourced the necessary suspension parts - I'm not interested in welding some wrecked M3's crap on my car.

cali-ti - Unfortunately, Korman does not publish prices on their website - have to call them for current pricing.

Anyone else have an opinion? If you don't have an opinion re: the brake kit, I would like to hear about Korman as a company - reputation, value, service, etc.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:16 PM   #6
Bzuefishx

KIRASIR - Thank you for the reply.

What are the advantages of the 330 brakes vs. the stock ti? I have a '98 ti with solid rotors.

I assume the 330 rotors are the same diameter, but thicker and slotted and/or drilled.

And would that just be fronts?

Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:18 PM   #7
Bzuefishx

GDB - Reread my reply to you and wanted to let you know that I didn't mean for it to seem so negative. Thank you for your input.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:22 PM   #8
Bzuefishx

KIRASIR - Your point is well taken that the Korman kit may be overkill. Sick thing is that kit is their "starter," with three or four more performance upgrades available.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:56 PM   #9
GDB

No problem dude, just giving you my thoughts as were you.

As for the 330 brakes, they are larger, vented rotors. I believe you will have to run 17" wheels with them. And as for the rears, the E46 32X brakes are the same size as ours, but they are vented.
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:39 AM   #10
cali-ti
aka Stabby

KIRASIR or GDB (or anyone else for that matter), have either of you installed the E46 32x rear brakes? if so, is it a direct bolt on replacement? any issues with the parking brakes, etc?

and if those fit, would the E46 330 rear brakes fit? again, direct bolt on, issues with parking brakes, etc?

any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:54 PM   #11
KIRASIR

Almost everything you need to know about the front factory brake swaps: http://www.emotors.ca/articles/article.aspx?id=77

FRONT:

The choice really depends on what you are looking for and a couple of other factors. Can you run 17" wheels year-around? Do you track your car? How often? etc.

330 brakes are huge comparing to the stock solid 318ti ones(see the pictures above) but they require 17" wheels. They look and work great. They are cheap and easy to install.

98+ 318ti, 325/328, e46 323 brakes are very easy to find. They are the same diameter as the solid disks you have now, but it doesn't mean they work worse than the 330 brakes. Moreover a car with these brakes should outbrake the same car with a set of 330 brakes on the street because you will maintain the factory brake bias. On the track they will work just as good with a proper set of pads. There are many instructors in our local BMW chapter running these stock brakes without any fading issues.

Having said the above, if you can afford to drive 365 days a year on 17" wheels than 330 brakes are the best bang for the buck with a condition that you run a set of aggressive pads in the rear to maintain the factory braking bias. The same applies to the M3 brakes, except you will need the M3 spindles or machine the carriers to fit.

REAR:

There are really only 3 choices:

1) More aggressive pads

2) MCoupe/Roadster rear brakes (will need to swap the whole sub frame)

3) Custom carriers with Brembo/Wilwood/etc callipers (this is what Korman is basically offering)

Nothing else fits (not directly at least or with any substantial benefit). 330 rears don't fit anything but 330.

In my FI ti I have the 330 front brakes and I am really happy with them. In the Sport ti I put a set of regular 328 brakes and they work just as well.

In the end anything is better than the solid disks I used to have.

Cheers,

SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzuefishx
KIRASIR - Thank you for the reply.

What are the advantages of the 330 brakes vs. the stock ti? I have a '98 ti with solid rotors.

I assume the 330 rotors are the same diameter, but thicker and slotted and/or drilled.

And would that just be fronts?

Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:33 PM   #12
Bzuefishx

KIRASIR,

Thank you for the info - VERY helpful.

Korman kit is off the map - almost $4,000.00. I'm guessing they really don't want to do it - even though there is a part number for the kit, it took the guy quite a while to come back with a price and they would have to put the kit together, needing 7 to 10 days to do it.

Thanks,

Bzuefishx