318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing

Notices

Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Discuss "organized" racing, car set-ups, driving techniques, track tips, events, driving schools, maintenance and more.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,020,934 Views
  Share/Bookmark

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
nickylemns

Default Questions: Building a 318ti track car

Hows it going? My name is Nick, and although i am not new to BMWs i am new to e36s and the compacts in general. My fathers friend, and Porsche mechanic just got a 96 318ti with an automatic trans, in good condition. I dont recall the mileage, but we decided it would be a good track car for me and our friends son to start driving so we can start getting some seat time. He provides the car and helps put it together, we provide the parts, and me and the son run the car together. My father and his buddy used to run alot together back in the day, and both me and his son raced karts in out younger days so it will be cool to all hit the track together again but this time with the second generation. I came across this forum and figured you guys can give me a good direction on where to take the car. We plan on keeping it to a minimum to start and continue on down the road. Plans are: 5 spd swap, strip interior and put in a half cage, probably a bolt in. the car is on the 17" wheels but eventually some nice DOT tires, break cooling in the fog housings, and some stiffer bushings. Exhaust -wise maybe straightpipe, or magnaflow? not sure if performance would be lost or gained with straightpipe. I dont typically like to play with aftermarket intakes, BMW (at least on the M cars) does a pretty good job designing a sealed cold air with a ram air, but as i am not super familiar with these cars maybe theres something better. Maybe eventually suspension and brake upgrade, I dont think we will invest in any upgrades on the motor, but if theres anything else that maybe comes to mind i really would appreciate you guys' input. I am really looking forward to putting this car together and learning my way around a track. Thanks in advance!
nickylemns is offline   Reply With Quote