318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 993,710 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-12-2007, 03:35 AM   #1
Bender

Default Radio's gotta go.. but.....

A couple speakers sound blown, and I know it will be pretty easy to do an incognito speaker swap at their current locations with new dual-range speakers of much better quality... the speakers are not my big concern... my big question really is with the head unit. I want a unit that is very simple and nearly stock-looking. Just black and a few presets and the normal controls--doesn't even need cassette. I'm not into big blingy thunderous tunage and most of the stuff I'm seeing is flip-out or brushed silver or big LCD screens or detachable and on and on and on... don't need or want that. Would like to stick to something German and at least looks fairly period-correct. Blaupunkt or perhaps Alpine. And of course it's gotta fit and look factory. Can't stand hacked jobs. If an amp has to be added in the trunk or under passenger seat or something, I am fine with that... again, I don't need thump, just good, clear, decently loud stereo for cruisin. I listen to mostly Jazz and indie rock and it just needs to be clear and solid. AND: is there something available that will interface with my BMW 6X disc changer in the trunk? I know this is a lot of questions and perhaps what I want is impossible, but help if you can. Should I just look for a NOS factory unit or something? The screen is dark and the buttons are worn off and I can only assume it is tired. It also obviously is not originally designed for the optional 6-changer and CD selection and sorting is kinda vague with no clear CD controls....
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:16 AM   #2
3DGE

I love kenwood peoducts, I have two 4inch 100W in the rear on that dash thing...you can do much where the stockspeakers go.

I need to replace the front two, next to the feet, 5.25 speakers. I am getting kenwoods for that. I plan on getting a subb and amp nothing too large, maybe kenwood Alpine or JL.

Read reviews on products, shop around and check ebay. Its easy work so you can do it yourself.
3DGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
fourbysix

blauplunkt for some awesome simple stuff, eclipse makes some amazing units too
fourbysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
SlickmisterN

If you want simpe and elegant I say go with JVC Arsenal line. More specifically if you can still find it get the model KD-AR860 CD head unit, it's the cleanest. Their entire line's backlight can be matched perfectly with the BMW red guages and is a decent unit at an awesome price with great audio features.

My buddy has JVC Aresenal head unit in his bimmer and it makes me wish I had something that matched the black dash better.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Bender

Thanks for all the comments.. good help. Does anyone care to comment on the question about a new A/M unit interfacing with the existing BMW cd changer in the trunk? Is that just a crazy concept?

Who supplied the head unit and CD changer to BMW in these models?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #6
aceyx

Alpine, but it's not compatible with off the shelf Alpine stuff.

Changers were Alpine or Pioneer depending on model year.