318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,002,056 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-31-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Default Metric 2.1L Stoker turbo motor Head Gasket

Ok folks I'm changing my blown head gasket from run away boost 30+ psi with no Meth spray or race gas. Issue with the waste gate is a crack control line that allowed the turbo to spool full boost when I should not have been over 15psi with the gas and Meth turned off.

Tonight is disassembly and tomorrow is put it all back together.

Wish me luck. So far in 1 hour everything is removed but the exhaust manifold, turbo and head studs. No power tools used since it is too late for the compressor to be running for air supply.

No water in oil at all only compression stoke gasses in the coolant causing the radiator to puke all water out due to over pressure winthin a 10 minute ride. The car runs fine for those 10 minutes then will start to overheat if I go to around 15psi.

Hoping I'm not going to find a cracked or warped head when I pull the head off tomorrow.

I'm going to remove the head studs but don't want to jack up the car in the dark and climb under it to remove the turbo because I'm afraid I could make a mistake and have it fall on me. Yes I learned a very valuable lesson when CoolJess posted about the boy that was so careful but still had the car fall and kill him. I will wait till the morning so I can jack and double jack stand the car and wood blocks in place as suggested so I can survive a few more years.

The car has been broken for a long time and in my soberity I just want it fixed and back to normal. I really love this car and miss driving it.

Best to all, John Smith
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
teetime4one

Vehicles

Awesome! I hope it all goes well for ya John. Congrats on keeping your life sober. Good things will happen...trust me.

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Mr.Squeelerz

Live Cam!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Squeelerz View Post
Live Cam!
Computer was sabatoged by someone I'm divorcing so no live cam. Sorry
Old 09-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
fast_frizz

JohnBoy,
Sorry about the headgasket and the divorce. I always enjoy a peak into your projects - they are inspiring. I have an M42, car is running great on track, but looking for more power, and the turbo-posts that you put up are very tempting. Just not sure how 30min sessions on the track would work out with the old engine, or if I should S50 it. While I figure that out, I will continue enjoying your posts...
Old 09-07-2012, 03:53 AM   #6
jca

John, here's to yours and my son's sobriety. Regards, John Adkins
jca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca View Post
John, here's to yours and my son's sobriety. Regards, John Adkins

It's one month today sober. I'm still in the honeymoon state completely manic but I know the $hit will hit the fan soon as I've been warned by AA members.

To all I'm not a AA thumper and don't expect anyone to change their ways to be friends with me. I'm the one with the drinking problem and like everyone else the way they are.

Thanks for the positive comments. Car is running super killer fast and I think I had a head gasket leak for a long time before it finally got to the coolant part of the head.

I'm also installing a new radiator since the block sealer I tried to patch the head gasket for a few extra miles clogged everything that was 1/8" or smaller. I had to poke all the small holes on the head, block and the t-stat bleed hole was clogged too. What a mess. I did a complete acid coolant cleaning and will install the new radiator hoses and t-stat this week
Old 09-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
teetime4one

Vehicles

I'll be there this week to go for that ride...there's your motivation!

Sean
1995 Active
Old 09-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #9
trikzta

Vehicles

Your coming down? Looking for a place?

Mods: 325is zender spoiler, 3" carbon fiber antenna, 5% tints rear windows, black out grills, Fogged air intake, Ds1 wheels, Rokkor coilovers, bilstein rear shocks, blacked out tails and home made angel eyes
trikzta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:38 AM   #10
teetime4one

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikzta View Post
Your coming down? Looking for a place?
Yes, Cindy and I will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale (sp) on Wednesday. We will be in Hollywood for the last 2 nights of our stay. We will drive to Naples as soon as we land. Looks like we are meeting a realtor to view a few houses while in Naples. Maybe even buy one! We'll see.

Sean
1995 Active
Old 09-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
pdxmotorhead

Stop leak has GOT to be marketed by the car companies behind the scenes.. LOL

Cheers
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
It's one month today sober. I'm still in the honeymoon state completely manic but I know the $hit will hit the fan soon as I've been warned by AA members.

To all I'm not a AA thumper and don't expect anyone to change their ways to be friends with me. I'm the one with the drinking problem and like everyone else the way they are.

Thanks for the positive comments. Car is running super killer fast and I think I had a head gasket leak for a long time before it finally got to the coolant part of the head.

I'm also installing a new radiator since the block sealer I tried to patch the head gasket for a few extra miles clogged everything that was 1/8" or smaller. I had to poke all the small holes on the head, block and the t-stat bleed hole was clogged too. What a mess. I did a complete acid coolant cleaning and will install the new radiator hoses and t-stat this week
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
Stop leak has GOT to be marketed by the car companies behind the scenes.. LOL

Cheers
Dave
No doubt. Since the acid wash and new radiator my top hose coolant temp is 143 deg. It was never below 180 degs with the stop leak in there and I lost 2 freeze plugs that completely rotted out plus my heater hose blew up like a ballon and popped. I was alway a firm believer that stop leak would not damage anything in the motor.

I have learned from experience that it is a total mess and clogges all kinds of important small holes that cause a snow ball effect and damage the motor over time.

I will never use it again. Lession learned
Old 09-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #13
pdxmotorhead

Your lucky, V8's with the intake manifold water passage plug and burn the center exhaust valves...

Dave
Old 09-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
Your lucky, V8's with the intake manifold water passage plug and burn the center exhaust valves...

Dave
M44 has 2 water passages between the adjacent cylinder. I blew the seal between 2&3 and then the sealing ring let water leak and got to the big water passage on the head. I got lucky on this one and now think I have a solid running motor that won't blow those sealing rings due to hot spots caused by the plugged water passages
Old 09-16-2012, 03:23 AM   #15
pdxmotorhead

OOPs guess I should have said knock on wood.. LOL

Dave