318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 983,734 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-14-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
Juni

Default Something is wrong with the steering!!!

Okay,

So recently I have noticed that there is something very wrong with my steering. When I picked up my car @ the body shop the steering wheel was very hard to turn. I didn't know what was wrong.....so I figured if I continued to drive it, it would get better (it's been sitting in the shop for about a month). I was dead wrong, as the car starts moving at higher an higher speeds, it becomes much easier to drive in a straight line. Taking a curve or just turning the steering wheel in general is hard. For example: if your at an intersection, and you about to turn left. It would normally be an easy task, once you turn, the steering wheel would normaly straighten back out on its own. correct? My ti doesnt do that anymore. I would have to physically turn the hard ass wheel back so I can drive straight.

Now, I went to my mechanic, (he was very busy) told him the problem, but he said to check the powersteering fluids. So I did, but they were okay. I dont know what the hell happend to my car while it was sitting in that shop. Can any of you guys offer me any help, guidence, pointers, something so I can fix this before it potentially breaks something!

Juni
Juni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:41 PM   #2
PettitWC

maybe something wrong with the pulley?

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
Juni

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettitWC
maybe something wrong with the pulley?
I cant think of anything that could be wrong with it. The belt has tension, its moving the pulley. Would I have to flush the PS system? Or maybe get a new PS pump?!?!
Old 11-15-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
Juni

Bump!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:15 AM   #5
aceyx

It's not something that should happen just by sitting at the shop. I would take it to a different place to get a second opinion. Foreign Motors West does decent work, but there's another specialty place near there I can't remember right now.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:21 AM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

definitely sounds like an issue with the ps pump and flushing the system would be a good first step. is the pulley attached to the pump turning as the belt drives it?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:34 AM   #7
Juni

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
definitely sounds like an issue with the ps pump and flushing the system would be a good first step. is the pulley attached to the pump turning as the belt drives it?

Im gonna have to wait to look into that....atleast until mornin. Last night I took a flash light, I found the PS tank and it seems to have fluid in it. Im just not sure how much fluid is supposed to be in there. However I did notice the belt that drives the PS pump seems to have a bunch of little cracks in it. Possibly, also the culprit to the engine squeeky noise.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:37 AM   #8
Juni

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
It's not something that should happen just by sitting at the shop. I would take it to a different place to get a second opinion. Foreign Motors West does decent work, but there's another specialty place near there I can't remember right now.
I didnt think so either.......but then I grew weiry of the shop. They do have a boat load of E36's all over the place in there. I would hate to think that they removed a part from my car to put it on somebody elses car! That idea grew in my head, beacuase I always saw a white ti in body shop yard that looked fairly tuned. Im just hoping that it's nothing serious.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:04 AM   #9
aceyx

If your engine bay is dirty, check around for places where the dust was rubbed off, if there are new bolts, or if the bolts have fresh scratches.

I generally am willing to believe the best in people, so I hope that's not the case.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:12 AM   #10
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
If your engine bay is dirty, check around for places where the dust was rubbed off, if there are new bolts, or if the bolts have fresh scratches.

I generally am willing to believe the best in people, so I hope that's not the case.
i would hate to think a shop would do that too. check as aceyx suggested ... you'd definitely want to be sure of something like that before accusing them. there certainly should be signs that parts were swapped if they were.

maybe possible particles in the system settled into the pump or something while it was sitting?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 11-16-2005, 03:23 AM   #11
Juni

so what steps should I take to flush out the system? Is there a how to?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:56 AM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i sent you an email with some posts from the ti yahoo mailing list. i figured it was more important to get it to you in a timely fashion than cleaning it up and nice so i hope you can follow it. as per the note at the top of the email, take a look at steven's pics in his gallery (1996 328ti) - the PS Fluid Reservoir has a filter integral to it, you may want to consider a new one as part of the fluid change. i'll probably do this flush/fill before too long and hopefully we'll have an article system by then (steven's working on finding a good one) so i can put an article together.

Old 11-16-2005, 04:23 AM   #13
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juni
so what steps should I take to flush out the system? Is there a how to?
Watching my mechanic, he loosened one hose and worked the wheels left and right until all the fluid was gone. It needs to be done on a lift. Then he added fluid, worked the wheels left and right. Checked the fluid. Started the engine and rechecked the fluid. My noise was louder. We replaced the steering pump today. Now it's quiet and I'm poorer for it.

Next to chase down an oil leak. He thinks it's the oil filter housing. That's almost $300.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:12 PM   #14
Juni

Thanks to all of you guys that helped. I really cant say enough as to how useful this site really is! I will keep you posted as to how it goes. Thank you once again.

-Juni
Old 11-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #15
96ti

I think I did o write up of how to flush the system before. I am lazy to search so..uhm.. hell I write it here. first thing first, get a quart of ATF, some hose clamps in hand would be helful. To flush the system, you have to take off both hoses that connect to the reservoir then let them drain. Make sure all the fluid has drained out of the system before putting them back together. Pour in new ATF to the reservoir to the max. Now turn on the engine then turn your steering wheel all the way to the left, then right, do it about 3 times. This process is to make sure you will have no air in your system. Check the fluid level, if it's low, refill it. Mission accompished ). Have a nice weekend with your ti. Don't spill. BWT, talking about spilling, keep a tower in hand before you flush.