318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 974,591 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-05-2008, 05:57 AM   #1
elchicano

Default DDM Coilovers?

I don't know if you guys have noticed but DDM is getting into coilovers. Which i can't be more than happy that they are. They are still testing the coilovers from what i can tell. They will have a Ti and z3 kit later since we have the e30 suspension. I posted that i would be interested in being a tester when such kit becomes available for the Ti. So what do you guys think? Would any of you be interested?

Here's the link where they are talking abut it.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...050826&page=17

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:15 AM   #2
spidertri

Vehicles

Not sure about being a tester as I live on the opposite coast, but if they are quality and priced like everything else ddm sells I'd be interested in picking up a set for sure.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:38 AM   #3
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
if they are quality and priced like everything else ddm sells...
I could deal with an angel eye not working, a sideskirt being too long, moldings coming unclipped and months of waiting for my items to ship out. However, when it comes to something as critical as components needed to control my car, I wouldn't take any chances with DDM. Especially as a product tester. They're practically saying that these things are faulty and need to have the kinks worked out before they put them into production. Even if you don't kill yourself and they just leave you stranded on the side of the highway or upside down in a ditch, would it still be worth it?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 AM   #4
mohaughn

And what do these guys know about building and designing proper suspension systems? No way would I put these on my car. People were complaining about how they thought the bavauto suspension kits were poor quality, do you expect better with these?

I'd stick to the major manufacturers that have years of experience and thousands of hours invested into R&D...

Did anybody else notice from those pictures that there is no way to secure the brake line, the ABS speed sensor wire, or the brake pad sensor wire? I also see how you could thread those things down far enough that you could bottom out the piston.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:42 AM   #5
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I agree 100%, I also couldn't help but notice that the 3 lower mounting points appear to be made of aluminum. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it just seems like the high torques used to secure those bolts to the kingpin and the constant abuse from the horrible streets in the US would be a little too much stress on an aluminum strut housing. So far, everything that I've seen DDM sell with their own label has been of inferior quality. While some items such as angel eyes may not pose significant consequences due to failure, something as critical as suspension should not be compromised. Even the big name suspension companies have issues from time to time, but atleast they'll be there to offer support five years down the road. This is one of those circumstances where you truly get what you pay for. Spend a few extra bucks and get the good stuff.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 AM   #6
elchicano

hmmm. You guys bring up some goods points. I think i got caught up with me running into to something cheap for my drop. But i noticed all the flaws you pointed out and now im having second thoughts about it. I'll keep looking at the bf.c thread to see what comes up.

Gardenbeast i guess you can take my spot as i am no longer interested in being a tester. haha

Old 08-06-2008, 04:56 AM   #7
mohaughn

You will also notice that most of those pieces are only welded in one plane. Take a look at the koni or H&R struts and you will see that they usually use a C type of bend, this way you have welds on two different planes.. I'm not a mechanical engineer but I do understand a little bit about shearing forces.. I would love for somebody to post those things in the track forum on bimmerforums and ask some of the race engineers there what they think about the welds and how well those things will stand up to some serious abuse...

http://www.tcklineracing.com/TCKE36SD-small.jpg

You can see what I mean in that picture. They take a piece of metal and bend it on both ends to the end up with what looks like a C, then weld that all the way around. Everything that is welded on my strut bodies is welded in two planes. The sway bar tab, the bottom kingpin bolts area, as well as the "camber" adjustment bolt hole.

Also notice how high up the provision is for the strut mounted sway bar, how are they going to do that with threading all the way down the body?

It looks to me like they are trying to copy k-sport coilovers, but got some parts of the copy wrong...

http://www.erzperformance.com/v/vspf...NTROL-01-2.jpg

Notice they have similar little pin adjusters.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:05 AM   #8
elchicano

Thank you guys again i love this site. I was actually thinking of buying these. Instead im going to look around. This site prolly just saved my Ti rolling over or something.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
spidertri

Vehicles

Hah, yeah, very good points. That was in the back of my mind and one of the reasons I don't want to be a tester for anything crucial to the car. I was just saying that if, somehow, people have very good experiences with them and they don't fall apart while driving, I might pick up a set.

But you guys are definitely right about the welds being more substantial and more resistant to shearing forces.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote