318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Differentials

Notices

Differentials Limit Slip, gear ratio discussions.

» Recent Threads
1997 manual 318TI M...
Today 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
Today 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 113 Views
Handsome gays boys from...
Today 12:47 AM
Last post by ceoshank88
Today 12:47 AM
0 Replies, 159 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,311,586 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-11-2005, 12:36 AM   #16
hellrot332ti

I had an open stock diff and it last about 2 years before it broke. Mine broke on the drag strip so depending on your driving styles the 4 banger diff. could last forever.
hellrot332ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:25 AM   #17
aceyx

Where was the fault point?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:47 AM   #18
hellrot332ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
Where was the fault point?
Well i broke about 4 teeth off of the input shaft that meshes with the ring and pinion, coming from the driveshaft. It just wasnt made to handle the torque i guess..
hellrot332ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #19
tctwnd

is swapping the flanges difficult?
tctwnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #20
jdehaan

so if the stock TI diff could potentially last for quite a while, what are the advantages of going to an Mroadster diff, besides the eventuality that it will fail if given enough time and hard driving. What are the performance advantages? Also, how much should a quality, used Mroadster diff cost?
jdehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #21
J!m

Vehicles

It will break, and typically at the worst time, regardless of driving style.

Ben Liaw broke his at a stop light. He wasn't racing, just trying to move when the light turned green. No warning either- no noise, nothing.

If you plan to always be walking distance from home (you should be walking, not driving in this case...) you are fine. Also invest in AAA for the tow you will need.

When (not if) it fails, there may likely be zero warning of the failure, and no logical reason for the failure. Obviously, racing (particularly drag racing) will speed-up the diff failure, but simple street driving will take its toll.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:33 AM   #22
Hawkster

So will a diff out of an E36 M3 coupe fit? I've got one in the bed of my truck... so if it will... I might not sell it...
Hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:58 AM   #23
stormos

won't fit.
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:01 PM   #24
jdehaan

What about an M Roadster, or an E30 M3. Which one is best?
jdehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:14 PM   #25
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdehaan
What about an M Roadster, or an E30 M3. Which one is best?
i'm assuming you're talking about the diffs. believe the m-roadster/m-coupe are 3.23 and the e30 m3 is 4.10. there were m-coupe/roadster guys installing e30 3.73 LSDs into their cars even, but it really depends on what you're hoping to achieve, faster accel times or nice highway cruising rpms or what?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:07 PM   #26
racepad

Default M Roadster Rear End

I recently purchased a complete rear end from a M Roadster and was led to believe that basically the whole thing was a bolt in into the ti. Ugh - no way. I was going to do the job myself but decided to farm it out to Turner Motorsport as I am in the midst of relocating. Here is what works and does not. The carrier will bolt up, the diff flange was 4 bolt and it mates with the drive shaft. Well that is about it. The brake lines come out at a different angle on the M3 brakes so custom lines had to be built and other lines from an E30 M3 used. The brackes on the carrier for the lines had to be removed and the old ones moved over to the new carrier. The Diff does not fit and some body work had to be completed. The old diff support removed and a new one fabricated and welded on to the body. The wheel base is now wider but that will create some wheel fitment issues for me (235x40x17 SSR Comps withYokohama AVS tires). May have to now have the rear fenders rolled. We stayed with the old sway bar as the roadster one required larger bushing mounts. This would have required cutting the stock ones off, fabricating new ones to fit the wider M roadster rear sway bar. When I get the car back in a few weeks I will share more.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:01 PM   #27
J!m

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepad
I recently purchased a complete rear end from a M Roadster and was led to believe that basically the whole thing was a bolt in into the ti. Ugh - no way. I was going to do the job myself but decided to farm it out to Turner Motorsport as I am in the midst of relocating. Here is what works and does not. The carrier will bolt up, the diff flange was 4 bolt and it mates with the drive shaft. Well that is about it. The brake lines come out at a different angle on the M3 brakes so custom lines had to be built and other lines from an E30 M3 used. The brackes on the carrier for the lines had to be removed and the old ones moved over to the new carrier. The Diff does not fit and some body work had to be completed. The old diff support removed and a new one fabricated and welded on to the body. The wheel base is now wider but that will create some wheel fitment issues for me (235x40x17 SSR Comps withYokohama AVS tires). May have to now have the rear fenders rolled. We stayed with the old sway bar as the roadster one required larger bushing mounts. This would have required cutting the stock ones off, fabricating new ones to fit the wider M roadster rear sway bar. When I get the car back in a few weeks I will share more.
WOW. What did you do? you said you had the entire thing, but obviously you did not. I have to chime in as I have said (and done myself) this is easier than swapping the diff. You have dug yourself a deep hole there. I hope you have not cut anything, because the ENTIRE assembly DOES bolt right in (look under my car anytime). If you mix-n-match parts, you have problems, as I have said several times over now.
  • The diff fits the stock ti mounting locations; no cutting needed
  • The sway bar simply needs new bushings and bushing mounts; no cutting needed
  • I have fit 275-40/17's on M3 8.5 rear wheels with a 1/4 lip roll, 245-17s fit perfect, 265-17s (on my car now) fit with slight roll. Your SSR offset may be incorrect for the car.
  • Brake lines need to be modified; however the stock lines can be cut and re-flared to fit as I did, and the mounts do need to be moved; however the holes are pre-drilled for them on the M roadster sub-frame
  • Parking brake cable will not fit on the roadster locations, so large zip-ties are used to hold them to the tailing arms

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote