318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,005,319 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 08-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #31
ripdotcom

Project was scrapped. Picked up a 90 325IS and used the parts for that (easy 280Hp). Dont want to discourage anyone from setting up a similar system so I thought I would share what I have learned.

#1 First and foremost, It would have worked if I had completed the project.

#2 In order to get a decent sized turbo on it (.63/.50) you would either have to go top mount with the turbo coming out of the hood or use a scoop. Second option would be an external wastegate and custom motor mount. 3rd option would be something along the lines of a K03 or similar size top mount that would in fact clear the hood. Of course you would have to run about 1 bar to make the same power as a 60 trim at 6-8psi

#3 A/C can be retained with a 8" spal fan on the condensor which would clear the intercooler

I sold the car but may consider doing it again in the future if I can get a cheap clean 91 318. I just had too many projects at the time with my 02 GTI, 325IS and now I am working on setting up a boosted 93 320I Euro 2.0L M50. Theres a guy in town with a 91 318 that may want to turbo it so Ill probably have his set up in the next few months if he has the cash to do it.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #32
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

LMAO

FAIL.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #33
ripdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
LMAO

FAIL.

Guess you didnt read the post, I simply moved on to an easier more powerful project. Failure would have been going through with it and it not working. Real good way to get people pumped up about forced induction on the M42. Good luck on your S52 swap, how long have you been working on it?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #34
thesk8nmidget

glad to see you tried and also spent the time to share what you learned!
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
Old 08-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #35
cooljess76

Less than the 8 months you wasted on this thing, lol. My swap is coming along just fine. FYI, I'm rebuilding the motor before I drop it in and my seals and gaskets just arrived today. Unlike most people, I'm in no hurry to get my project done. I'd rather have it done right. Besides the motor swap, I've done extensive mods to the rest of the car. Anyway, that's my project and it WILL be a success, unlike your little e30/m42 turbo dream. It has nothing to do with this thread, but if you want to point fingers and try to bring me down to your level, perhaps you should ask yourself who's the failure here dreamboy? Yes, call it what you like, but "simply moving on to an easier project" and selling your unfinished disaster to someone else is the same as giving up. There's been dozens of turbo projects started on this forum alone. Not one was EVER finished. So nothing I say or do would discourage people from going F/I more than another turbo-FAILURE thread. But good luck with your next project, perhaps you should dream a little harder this time. Thanks though for your insight on problems you encountered, we're 1 step closer to actually seeing one of these things on the road

BTW, did you happen to notice that this is a 318ti forum?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #36
ripdotcom

Quote:
Less than the 8 months you wasted on this thing, lol. My swap is coming along just fine. FYI, I'm rebuilding the motor before I drop it in and my seals and gaskets just arrived today. Unlike most people, I'm in no hurry to get my project done. I'd rather have it done right. Besides the motor swap, I've done extensive mods to the rest of the car. Anyway, that's my project and it WILL be a success, unlike your little e30/m42 turbo dream. It has nothing to do with this thread, but if you want to point fingers and try to bring me down to your level, perhaps you should ask yourself who's the failure here dreamboy? Yes, call it what you like, but "simply moving on to an easier project" and selling your unfinished disaster to someone else is the same as giving up. There's been dozens of turbo projects started on this forum alone. Not one was EVER finished. So nothing I say or do would discourage people from going F/I more than another turbo-FAILURE thread. But good luck with your next project, perhaps you should dream a little harder this time. Thanks though for your insight on problems you encountered, we're 1 step closer to actually seeing one of these things on the road

BTW, did you happen to notice that this is a 318ti forum?
Sorry man, i spent about 3 weeks with it sitting before I built the Turbo M20 which took about a month . Obvoiusly you are an idiot and know nothing about building a turbo car. I have built 4 Turbo E30's that were extremely sucessful. The 318 i sold was in excellent condition and was not sold with any turbo components just put back to stock. The only reason I posted something back on here after all this time was that I had subscribed to it (need to kill that) to answer the question as to wether or not is was done. and I wasnt pointing fingers, just last time I had a wrecked M3 sitting in my yard and a 325IS with a bad motor it took me about 3 days to have it completely swapped, finished and at the track and thats from the day of purchase I was simply trying something that there seemed to be a lot of interest in. Hope it helped some people here and good luck with your swap really .
Old 08-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #37
cooljess76

Outta all of your "turbo e30's", how many of them had m42's? And congrats on your 3 day swap. I'm sure your 325is track car was really somethin Did you do a dash/interior swap, brake conversion, custom widebody, respray, suspension refresh, differential swap, custom exhaust, engine rebuild, factory alarm retrofit, battery relocate, LTW flywheel and clutch swap, M50 manifold, and weld in brackets to support all of the factory smog equipment so your engine bay was layed out exactly like the M3's? Was your car even street legal? Did you do all that in 3 days? If so, good for you. Every time I see another turbo Ti thread, I just shake my head, laugh and wait for the inevitable. Thanks for proving me right, lol. I'm sure you're gonna go and look for one now, your best bet is on youtube. There's a couple that have successfully done it, none of them are members of this site however. I doubt the cars lasted very long anyway. And FYI, I don't need luck with my project. I have every part, plenty of money and all the time in the world. A little patience is all it takes to build one of the sickest Ti's this site has ever seen

Oh yeah, did I happen to mention that this whole project was funded without a job, lol. I still have a whole M3 and tons of Ti parts that will be for sale soon. It's like I'm actually getting paid to build my own car.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #38
tiFreak

Vehicles

dude, what the f*ck is your problem, Jess? good job making yourself look like a complete as*hole, I read every one of this guys posts to see if he had said anything to you to make you treat him like that and there's nothing so much for us being the friendliest BMW forum on the net
Old 08-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #39
BobbyDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
dude, what the f*ck is your problem, Jess? good job making yourself look like a complete as*hole, I read every one of this guys posts to see if he had said anything to you to make you treat him like that and there's nothing so much for us being the friendliest BMW forum on the net
Yeah, I'm a little lost too...Jess, are you having a bad day man?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:20 PM   #40
cooljess76

I'm fine guys. All I did was crack a joke about another failed turbo attempt. He brought my project into the mix, called me an idiot and accused me of crushing people's hopes and dreams of building a turbo'd m42/m44. Personally I think another failed attempt is more than enough to discourage people. Call me negative, but how many of these threads have you guys seen over the years actually produce results. They get your hopes up and then they disappear for 6 months just to come back and say they gave up. I challenge anyone to turbo their ti. It's been done before, but for the couple that have actually succeeded, there's been dozens who've failed. Sure I might be an A-hole, but in the end, I'll be the one laughing. I honestly wish that someone would prove me wrong. If it happened, I'd gladly take my hat off to them. But comparing a failed project to my s52 swap is a joke. My swap will be done long before anyone here is turbo'd and it'll net more HP for less money.

Talk is cheap, don't kid yourselves I'm having a great day!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #41
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
He brought my project into the mix
he asked you, fairly politely I have to add, how your project was going

Quote:
called me an idiot
he called you an idiot after you provoked him by responding like an as*hole to his first response to you, I think I have to agree with him in this case

Quote:
accused me of crushing people's hopes and dreams of building a turbo'd m42/m44.
point out to me how he's wrong on that
Old 08-14-2008, 12:00 AM   #42
cooljess76

I had a similar argument with DustenT about a year ago. Oddly enough, I was on the other side of the argument and he was basically saying the same thing that I'm saying right now. Turbo's on our cars cost more in time and money than they're worth. If you don't give up like most people do and actually complete the project, they will most likely destroy your engine. There's nothing wrong with dreaming, but be realistic about things and don't get mad if people laugh at you. And Brendan, yes the OP did take a shot at me. He followed up as predicted by stating he did a swap in 3 days. Does that make him a better mechanic than me? He called me an idiot and said I know nothing about turbos. Does that make him a better person than me? Probably, but atleast I have a grasp on reality. I've taken on a project that has been tried and proven. I'm not going to sit here and keep explaining myself to you guys. If you guys think a turbo is something you could just slap on and make HP, go ahead and try it. I'll be driving my car and laughing while you're picking up pieces of your motor off of the highway.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 AM   #43
elchicano

Dudes chill out. There's no point in continuing this. This thread should be closed. There is no more to talk about, IMO. Let's not turn this into some of the arguments over at bf.c

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
Old 08-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #44
cooljess76

ripdotcom, maybe you could sell some of your turbo parts to this kid:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1060112

I give him six months before he gives up.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #45
ripdotcom

Quote:
ripdotcom, maybe you could sell some of your turbo parts to this kid:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1060112

I give him six months before he gives up.
Nah, Already used everything on the M20 and sold the manifold to someone else.
Closed Thread