318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,309,667 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 405,424 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-20-2005, 03:30 AM   #1
Cristian G in Oz

Vehicles
Question Help, my baby has died. She no go no more.

This post is probably a bit old (as my car is now at the dealers) but I wanted to throw out a couple of questions to the wise and knowledgable.

Last Friday my car stopped dead. It would fire and run for a few seconds then nothing just cranking over. From this I deduce that it is getting ignition.
When I turned on the ignition there is no sound of the fuel pump increasing system pressure, from this I deduce the fuel pump is not working.
All fuses are intact, so it’s not one of these.

Just call me Sherlock Holms.

Everything else seems to work she just don’t run no more.

My problem is that I cannot find any reference to which relay in the fuse box is the one for the fuel pump. All the fuses are intact and everything seems in order. The CD ROM that I have for the car sys that there should be 3 relays outside the fuse box, 1 for the fuel pump, 1 for the DME and 1 for the ignition (I think).
My car only has 2 relays fitted.

My car is a 1999 318Ti with M44. It is at the dealers now (large shudder at he thought of the labour cost) being looked at as I gave up yesterday and got it towed.

Any one have any ideas?

If the dealer finds something I will let you all know.

Regards

Cristian
Old 09-20-2005, 04:39 AM   #2
aceyx

jeph23 had the same problem. throw him a PM, see what he's found.

and post here if you figure out which one it is (helps future users).

EDIT: the wiring diagram shows a green wire and a purple wire going to the fuel pump relay. that may or may not help.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:05 AM   #3
barische

one thing that everyone will tell u around here, never take the car to the dealer unless its ur last option. I usually get it dont by my self, but if i cant i just take it to my mechanic, they gimme good deals. plus i heard taht for every visit. it doenst matter what it is even for lookin at the car the dealer charges u $50 dolars right away.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:57 AM   #4
Cristian G in Oz

Vehicles
Thumbs down Damn dealers....

Well the verdict is back from the dealers.
Against my better judgment I took it to the nearest one (who I happen to not like the service dept anyway but is only 40 mins awauy as opposed to 1 hr+) and they have just done nothing for me.

They finally rang back this morning (Oz time) and have advised that the ECU is "Kaput". A circuit has failed and requires a new ECU. That is why the Fuel pump has failed aparently, because the ECU controls fuel pump operation.

Anyway $1700 AUS later for the ECU alone and $1000 AUS for labour I should have the car back tomorrow (Thursday night our time) fro the weekend.

No happy !!!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 03:59 AM   #5
cali-ti
aka Stabby

holy crap!!!!!

sorry to hear about it
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:10 AM   #6
myblueTI

dude that sucks 1000 bucks for labor ouch!
Old 09-22-2005, 10:01 PM   #7
Cristian G in Oz

Vehicles
Angry It's still not back!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian G in Oz
Anyway $1700 AUS later for the ECU alone and $1000 AUS for labour I should have the car back tomorrow (Thursday night our time) fro the weekend.
Well it is still up in the air. Now thet dealer has replaced the ECU and it now has "too much fuel" and will not start. Apparently it cranks and fires but will not run.

This about where it was when I gave it to them the B@#$%rds. I still don't have a running car back and they don't believ I will have it back by the weekend. They have agreed to give me the "defective" ECU though, so I have already decided to send it back to the manufacturer to get it tested.

The other day when I spoke to them they said it looked like a carnk angle sensor fault. I'm now wondering if some gumby has put the sensors back in wrong? I hate not being able to go down there and ask them Q's face to face. I just like to prove that I know what they are talkinig about and I'm not another mindless drone who knows absolutly nothing about the beautiful machinery I love.

Sorry end of rant.

Anyway I will keep you all up to date as I get more info.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:36 AM   #8
Cristian G in Oz

Vehicles

The final answer in this saga was:
The computer (DME) was kaput (I still think they stuffed up) and the cat had collapsed and blocked the exhuast.
Final bill was : DME $1256 plus tax, Cat $320 (fitted aftermarket one as BMW was $1500) and $1500 of labour.
Total bill that week was $3500 Aus. Apart from above I had also bought a DISA valve to replace mine and fitted it before it went to the dealer.

I am now going to argue the computer cost with them, all I have to do is prove mne is still good. I'm doing that tonight.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:12 PM   #9
PettitWC

Hey man, that sucks big time. I hope you can convince them that your computer works!

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 03:36 AM   #10
atlanta318ti

Not an expert in this arena, but can't we replace our own DME (w/a used one) as long as its the same year, engine, etc... without reprogramming? You hear about the computers going down once in a while, so I was just wondering. Not that it will help our friend from down under now, but I would like to know. Once the dealer gets the car, it's almost like paying a ransom to get it back!
atlanta318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:58 PM   #11
eomalley

Default Drowned computer

I realize it's a bit after the event, but FYI I also lost a computer in my 96ti when a break in the windshield seal flooded the box behind the battery that housed the computer. I patched the seal and bought a relacement ECU rom www.stocktonauto.com for $275 US. I mounted it on rails to keep it above any further water that might accumulate in the box. Flatbedded the car to local dealer to program VIN, stereo ID and sundry. Car has been fine for two years now. All-in cost about $700 US.
eomalley is offline   Reply With Quote