318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
Yesterday 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,307,653 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 405,036 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-02-2004, 03:39 PM   #1
brentmiller

Default sunroof tilts but isn't "open" like most cars

the tilt function works fine but when tilted up, the headliner panel on the inside isn't open...IOW from the inside of the car, you wouldn't know the sunroof was tilted at all. has someone bunged this up? anyone messed with it before? I've got plenty of 02 sunroof experience but never an electric one.

TIA,
Brentmiller
brentmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
bimmerboi318

if the headliner doesnt move at all, it's probably broken somewhere. normally it slides back about 5 inches to vent. if it is broken, im not really sure what would be wrong...but if its only sliding back the 5 inches, dont worry about it.
others...
bimmerboi318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
brentmiller

Default No, it slides back and forth fine...

...it just doesn't tilt up with the outer sunroof panel as if it's not attached to it in the rear. make sense?

brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi318
if the headliner doesnt move at all, it's probably broken somewhere. normally it slides back about 5 inches to vent. if it is broken, im not really sure what would be wrong...but if its only sliding back the 5 inches, dont worry about it.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:38 AM   #4
bimmerboi318

ahh i think i see what you're saying. the headliner panel part isnt really attatched to the outer panel. it is just supposed to slide and not tilt up or anything. so unless its binding up, it sounds like its working normally.
others...
Old 09-06-2004, 07:04 PM   #5
brentmiller

You mean the interior panel doesn't let in any fresh air when it's tilted up? you gotta be kidding me. What's the point?

are you sure the interior isn't attached to the exterior at all? it doesn't move (up or down, front or back when titled up. it behaves as if it's closed.

I was thinking the taterhead that the dealership had fix my headliner panel didn't get it back right.

thanks in advance,
brentmiller
Old 09-06-2004, 07:32 PM   #6
robcarync

its hard to explain but ill explain the best i can...the interior panel should let fresh air in.

the exterior panel does slant upwards on the outside. the interior panel should remain horizontal ... but it should slide backwards about half way...so the botom of the exterior panel covering about half of the sun roof square...and the other half should be covered by the interior panel...but there should be a gap between the two panels so there is fresh air coming in.

so if you are trying to say that the interior panel doesnt move at all, something is not right. if you are saying that it only moves halfway...then it is working right.

the fresh air comes in the car between the exteriror panel and the interior panel. the interior panel should not be slanted up.

its kinda like

/ <------Exterior slanted up
- <---------- interior remains horizontal (air enters between two panels)

bad drawing but yeah i dont know what else to say
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 02:13 AM   #7
bimmerboi318

^^^^ what he said
others...
Old 09-07-2004, 02:52 PM   #8
brentmiller

ahh...I see. but mine doesn't do that either. actually, all mine does is tilt up on the outside thereby letting a bunch of leaves and pine straw and **** into the space between the inner and outer panels. I'll have to remove it to investigate.

thanks for you help,
brentmiller
Old 09-08-2004, 12:11 AM   #9
slacker

Ahhh....boy do I know what you are talking about...same thing on my 95. I have been living with it because there is this looming expense of a DASC I'm more concerned about...but if I could DIY I would. I've been just sliding the inside cover back by hand after opening the tilt. But when I open the whole thing. It works fine. There still is a loose sounding component when it is closed all the way. What say, folks? Is this common or fixable at home?
Gary
[size=-2]95 Sport-Alpine White-5sp conversion, M3 clutch, 3.72 E30-LSD, Bilstein PSS-9s, 3"stainless-TriFlo, 17s from 330i staggared w/BFG KDWs, DASC K&N w/foglight intake, cross-drilled BavAuto rear rotors w/Pagids, 4-pot Brembos w/drilled 320mm front rotors, stainless lines, BimmerWorld RSMs. BavAuto front splitters. M-Style rear spoiler, tower brace, X-brace.
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:05 AM   #10
bimmerboi318

ah so it does sound like something isnt right. maybe taking it apart will reveal something fixable, but something most likely has to be replaced. im not sure if the individual mechanisms are replaceable.
others...
Old 09-08-2004, 04:27 AM   #11
robcarync

http://www.geocities.com/karlkarlb/e36_sunroof.html

not sure what that write up is for...but i just remember reading it a while ago...it may not be for your specific problem, but it may give you some useful insight on the mechanics of taking the sunroof apart...just a thought
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
Old 09-08-2004, 02:57 PM   #12
brentmiller

yup. mine's clunking as well (when open) as if something isn't attached between the lower and upper panels. I'm not scared of DIY (I have no choice) and fancy myself handy with a wrench so I'm gonna give it a try this weekend if I can nail down the ignition bug on the 1602 first.

brentmiller
Old 09-08-2004, 09:32 PM   #13
robcarync

glad to be good for something around these messageboards
Old 05-18-2006, 06:27 AM   #14
cobaltbloo

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentmiller
the tilt function works fine but when tilted up, the headliner panel on the inside isn't open...IOW from the inside of the car, you wouldn't know the sunroof was tilted at all. has someone bunged this up? anyone messed with it before? I've got plenty of 02 sunroof experience but never an electric one.

TIA,
Brentmiller
well i have the same problem. my interior panel slides back into the roof of the car. It is a big pain in the you know what. I was told by a mechanic that inside the sunroof there are plastic clips that make the interior panel slide back a few inches and hold it in place to create a vent. If you press on the sunroof switch ( i mean if you keep your finger on the swich after the sunroof has been open) after a while those plastic clips wear out and break. I have been looking in 3 series manuals about the sunroof parts and cannot figure out what parts would fix the problem. I hope I gave you a little more info on this...if anyone can figure out what clips these might be please let me know...thanks.
cobaltbloo is offline   Reply With Quote