318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 100,124 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 63,036 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 60,270 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
rlgqk3

Exclamation Interior Side Panel Replacement

Hey all, I am trying to find a way to remove and fix this side panel on my car interior. I attached a picture of what it currently looks like and a photo of someone else that got theirs removed.

Before:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

After:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

What currently is there looks terrible and I just can't stand it anymore. I am thinking about applying some sort of cool carbon fiber material as a replacement. It seems like it would be an easy piece to fix, just I have no idea how to get it off without actually breaking it. Not sure if I need to remove the dashboard first?

Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks!
rlgqk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
tiFreak

Vehicles

you don't need to remove the dash board, I'm not entirely sure how to get it off but I know that if you just peel that stuff off and clean any adhesive, it will just be black plastic, which doesn't look that bad
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
1CivetDei2

just stick a butter knife in the top part and pry slowly until you can fit your fingers behind it. Then take the knife and slowly move it down the side.
There are 3 clips that pop into metal holders taht are in the actual frame you just need to pop them out. Chances are you WILL break some of the tabs but you just need to super glue or jb weld them back on (make sure their straight) Feels like its going to break but the tabs are really just stuck in tight

and you cant just peel it off without looking terrible its not black plastic its off white. Theres a top layer that can easily be pulled off then another one taht is glued on pretty strongly. I redid my a pillars in a different fabric and i just took off the loose top layer than used adhesive and stuck the new material on the solid layer
1CivetDei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
hotmilk400

fix your head liner while you are at it =]

haha.. some spray glue and gray headliner material and maybe a few free hours.. and it will alot better..

and... you proablly will break the side panel clips.. i always have.. i coulnt figured out how to ever remove them. so i just ripped the darn things off.. haha..

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CivetDei2 View Post
and you cant just peel it off without looking terrible its not black plastic its off white.
I heard they were black underneath from someone who just peeled the fabric off and ran them plain maybe they're different between different cars?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
1CivetDei2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
I heard they were black underneath from someone who just peeled the fabric off and ran them plain maybe they're different between different cars?
idfk the back part where the clips are is off white i don't know why they would paint the front black then cover it with black fabric. black plastic would look terrible anyways like the car was unfinished or something
Old 02-06-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
hotmilk400

hahahah... its nicer to just do it the correct way..

if you need more help removing them, let us know.. the best way to match up color is to re-do your headliner and get alot of the same fabiric. its not hard if 2 people do it in an open area.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
rlgqk3

that you guys so much for the tips!

i thought about maybe just taking the fabric off first, but yeah the plastic is an off-white etc and i would still need to clean off all the old glue. seemed better to just fix it completly.

i ordered like a grey/glass carbon fiber that i am going to try and apply over the pillar. i'll probably end up checking it out to see if it looks good or turns out really cheesy/stupid first...

do you guys know some decent places to just order a grey fabric? i know the whole headliner is terrible... the ceiling is def. sagging bad in the back now. that is the 2nd item on my list of fixing up the ti (1st is the pillars). I thought if the carbon fiber goes okay, maybe doing the whole headliner in a similiar carbon fiber (granted if it doesn't look cheesy). just put in a set of black vader seats in the front, so it is getting there.

the big step over the summer is determining what to do with the rocker panel, one side is some chipping and shows the white underneath. I would like to just remove all of the grey and have it be white, but then gotta paint the front and back bumpers white too then. anyone else ever attempt this?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlgqk3 View Post
the big step over the summer is determining what to do with the rocker panel, one side is some chipping and shows the white underneath. I would like to just remove all of the grey and have it be white, but then gotta paint the front and back bumpers white too then. anyone else ever attempt this?
removing the grey from the rockers is possible, but it's an absolute pain to get it right, I'd just paint over the whole thing or buy a set of sideskirts and just cover it up
Old 02-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
1CivetDei2

for fabric go to joannes ( sp?) its a huge fabric store taht will definitely have what your looking for.

and for future reference the part your talking about is more comonly called the A-pillar instead of interior side panel
Old 02-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
rlgqk3

i should have thought of joanne fabrics. i might look at fixing the headliner now too if it is a semi-easy process.

thanks for the clarification on the name, i sent an email to another member and commented the same.

i'll post some pics on how it all turns out and probably ask for what people think i should fix next
Old 02-07-2009, 03:34 AM   #12
1CivetDei2

definitely do ill post pics of my a pillars taht i redid in a paisley fabric tomorrow when its light out
Old 02-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
rlgqk3

so i am leaning towards redoing the whole headliner and pillars in a black suede. do you guys think that would look alright (currently is the light grey). right now i am thinking it would be pretty good, but going to take a better look when i get home. not sure if it would look really bad with the 2 tones, but i got black vaders in so i think it would be a good balance.

suggestions on how much fabric i would need initially? i am thinkin maybe 2.5-3 yards for the headliner and pillars.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #14
amancuso

New A-pillars are only $33.00 each. Why cheap out on something you will notice everyday?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #15
rlgqk3

can i ask what site do you use to buy things like new pillars? i haven't found anything that has some things like that.

Thanks, Ryan