318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 989,520 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #16
DGWGuitars

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
This is getting to be a threadjack but will this work the same with my OBC? The lights have been out in my deck for ages and so this is really tempting. If I didn't have my eye on a $700 guitar I would be all in already.
I'll have to leave that up to others more literate in the OBC, but since it's for all E36's, I can't imagine that it won't work.
DGWGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:40 AM   #17
DGWGuitars

Vehicles

The CD43 arrived today. Now it's on to the installation, which I won't likely have time to do until the weekend. I'll have to say that the seller was dead on in his description, and good to his word on delivery, which was about two weeks from Lithuania.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #18
eurekaiv

Good to know... I made a $250 offer on one so we'll see how that goes.

I installed the replacement 4" speakers last night and they're pretty awful. The sensitivity is obviously much less then stock because the back speakers are barely pushing any sound and then sound awful if you crank the volume up. At least the installation was fairly easy. I'm going to pull them back out and replace everything properly with separates once the new deck arrives.
eurekaiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #19
DGWGuitars

Vehicles

Had it installed today. Yes, I know that it's a plug & play, but I've dealt with this guy for some time and he only charged me $25, which is a steal. The only hang-up is that the previous owner put that stick-on carbon fibre overlay on the dash, which is damn near impossible to to take off, which I wish I could do. Maybe someday I'll just replace the panel. It was a bit tight around the unit, but with some persuasion it went in fine. Functionally it's great - sounds great and looks much better than the after-market Blaupunkt I had in it. Well worth the money and wait.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #20
DGWGuitars

Vehicles

Oh, on the speakers, I know that the OEM BMW speakers are pricey, but I'm pleased that I replaced mine with them. They plug right in with no modifications and to my ear they sound fine.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #21
eurekaiv

Does anyone know if these come in pairs? The speaker mounts in the rear are specific to each side and from the one photo, it certainly doesn't look like it could be flipped around. So I'm not sure if I need to order two or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230294995639

I swapped the front woofers & tweeters and did the rear tweeters today with some relatively inexpensive Boston Acoustics components. They're 92db sensitivity and power very well with the stock amp. There is now plenty of bottom end on tap. Yay! Tweeters are a little too loud though... :/ They sound much more clear but I have to jack the treble way down. They need to be attenuated which I could do with the stock crossovers but I'm not using them so... hmm. Maybe build my own attenuator circuit?
Old 11-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #22
bovilexic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
Does anyone know if these come in pairs? The speaker mounts in the rear are specific to each side and from the one photo, it certainly doesn't look like it could be flipped around. So I'm not sure if I need to order two or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230294995639

I swapped the front woofers & tweeters and did the rear tweeters today with some relatively inexpensive Boston Acoustics components. They're 92db sensitivity and power very well with the stock amp. There is now plenty of bottom end on tap. Yay! Tweeters are a little too loud though... :/ They sound much more clear but I have to jack the treble way down. They need to be attenuated which I could do with the stock crossovers but I'm not using them so... hmm. Maybe build my own attenuator circuit?
Yes, they come as a pair - I got a set from the same seller a couple months ago. Haven't installed them yet, though. The two adaptors are mirror images of each other, which is probably correct :-)
bovilexic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #23
eurekaiv

Cool, thanks for the reply. One set ordered.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:23 AM   #24
madmatt151

Since I am going through these same issues, I will offer my $.02 I was all ready to start ripping out speakers etc, but first I just bought a new head unit. I know you may not like the look of a aftermarket head unit, but I got a Pioneer and it makes the stock system sound incredible, plus I can play my USB drive and Bluetooth audio, plus abuilt in Bluetooth hands-free with a microphone. Bass is a problem of course, but only because the speakers seem to be getting over powered and distorting. I will try to reduce the bass as much as possible and potentially get a sub. I have been looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-BASS600-L...8510771&sr=8-2

At the price they are offering now, I may get this and be done with it, the stock speakers really give excellent sound.
madmatt151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:05 AM   #25
tiFreak

Vehicles

stock speakers have great midrange and highs I think, the bass is horrible though, that's why I really wanted to get subs
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:34 AM   #26
KingLouieII

Hi guys, I'm brand new to the TI world.. have a '97 and I'm looking to replace the front speakers. I went to have a look around in Best Buy and the guy that helped me out said i would need 5 1/4" pairs. On each door panel, it looks like there are two speaker covers and they look a lot smaller than 5 1/4", will a pair of aftermarket speakers fit the front without much hassle?
KingLouieII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:40 AM   #27
tiFreak

Vehicles

the 5 1/4" speakers are in the front kick panels, right next to your feet, those are your mids and tweeters in the door
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #28
madmatt151

So here's my update, I installed the Pioneer BT6100U. It has a HPF (High Pass Filter) which is what I was going to start researching to buy. Basically it stops all low frequencies from passing through to the speakers. It has 4 setting, 63, 80, 100 and 150 HZ. It is awesome. Now the TI's speakers can really be cranked up and no worried about distortion or blowing them. The car sounds excellent, and all I need to worry about now is bass, but its not too much of a priority right now. Trust me, try this particular unit first before ripping out speakers. In my years of installing stereos, I have noticed that it is very hard to get speakers that sound good in stock locations. A car is a noisy place and better car companies like BMW tend to find the best speakers which are tuned to the particular acoustics of a car. I am very pleased with my system right now, plus the Bluetooth works great, and crystal clear. I highly recommend this unit and next will be that underseat sub I linked above. My main reason for that unit is it mimics my 330i which has one sub under each front seat. Not too big, but enough punch to really feel the bass in your butt! I hope this unit does the same.

Happy Thanksgiving all!
madmatt151 is offline   Reply With Quote