318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 992,868 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
PaulM

Default another belt squeak?

OK - chasing the illusive belt squeak. Yes, squeak periodic squeak faster than once per second, when cold it exhibits it after warm up squeak goes away/very faint at idle but increases with engine revs.

What is new/recent - has a new tensioner with maybe 500 miles, new idler pulleys, and a new belt within about 500 miles.

No really visible movement in the tensioner. Spinning pulleys with belt off no noticable play or roughness in water pump or alternnator, PS pump has axial play (in out in direction of shaft), other posts indicate that is normal???

Tried the chalk trick on the inside of the belt - silence, comes back after about 5-10 miles.

So I figure get another belt, maybe I got a bad one????

I know Jess has indicated the tensioner seems to be designed to squeak - and at this point I am inclined to agree.

I don't want to just start a wholesale replacement of a good alternator, water pump and PS pump is I'm just swapping parts blindly.

Any advise greatly appreciated.
Paul
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
JustinH

Use an automotive stethoscope to pinpoint where the squeak is from.

Some other methods:

While vehicle is running completely douche the belts and pulleys with brake clean. It will clean of any oil or residue. IT will squeal like a MFer after..Then take a can of clear silicone spray and lightly coat the belt. This works beautifully.

If you are not comfortable with silicone spray on your belts, get a bar of ivory soap and while the car is running press the soap against the belt on both sides. and let the belt dig into the soap for 10-15 seconds..This will clean and lube the belt.

Good luck.
JustinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
PaulM

got one of the automotive stethoscope - does not help the squeak is relatively high pitched airborne - poking the stethoscope on any hard point in the engine gives a rumble but no sigh of the squeak/chirping.

May try your other methods (as well as another new belt).
I suspect I should get the PS pump rebuilt as I do get a whine sometimes when up to temp and turning in a parking lot (not very loud).

Paul
Old 03-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
savannah996

Just take the belt off and start it to see if the noise is still there. Just dont let it run for more than a couple minutes and do it while the engine is cold.
savannah996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
JustinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah996 View Post
Just take the belt off and start it to see if the noise is still there. Just dont let it run for more than a couple minutes and do it while the engine is cold.
? The only pulley that would turn is the crank pulley.
JustinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
geetarspaz

Vehicles

hey, perhaps my old thread may lead for more information?
lots of great advice from other users

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35012
geetarspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
PaulM

yup - been to that thread (even posted at the end of it), and have done the belts off check, confirming its one of the rotating items. My squeak continues evn at full operating temp - although then it may be quiet at idle and comes on when rev'd. Also with belts off checked and spun pulleys, alt and water pump both feel fine no play and spin by hand easily, PS pump spins easily but has a fair amount of axial play (and as I note I believe I get a whine from the pump low speed sharp turns in parking lot). So my bet is on PS pump, a send out rebuild looks to be about $90 when I checked.

I've thought of rigging something up to be able to spin pulleys with a power source - like a custom pulley on a drill. However, the belt path has so many things in it that I don't believe I can easily do it.

Paul
Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
PaulM

Just figure I would follow up with what I believe was the actual cause of the squeak.
I ha ignored the squeak, it would usually go away when fully warm, could make it go away with chalk but it would come back in a few miles.
Anyway, had to top up PS fluid a couple times and noticed oil on the alternator, and the belt soaked in oil. Well no obvious leak but the pump was a mess. Ordered a new pump, as well as reservoir and the two hoses that go to the reservoir. Replaced everything today and no squeaks on reassembly.

Probably could have spotted this earlier with more careful inspection when I had to top up the PS. Anyway squeak seems to have been an early warning sign but I could not localize it till I had a real failure.

On a related note - the PS pump pulley needs to be removed to pull the pump. In my case it was quite difficult to remove the pulley, a large gear puller would have been nice but appropriate taps and wiggling worked.
Paul