318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 961,098 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,861 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-25-2008, 03:47 AM   #1
L84THSKY

Default Universal O2 sensors any good?

I installed a Bosch OEM rear O2 sensor and I think it's now bad. Any harm in using this universal Bosch sensor, it's a lot cheaper? Instructions are on Ebay for splicing wires.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/O2-OX...spagenameZWD1V

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:52 AM   #2
Kraln

Harm? no.

As long as it gives the same level signals and has the same number of wires (heated, not heated, etc) it'll work fine. Since it's your REAR one, it won't really affect how your car runs, just helps you monitor emissions.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
L84THSKY

I just ordered the O2 sensor, cause my CEL came back. Does $28.00 seem too cheap for a Bosch rear sensor, does to me?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:59 AM   #4
hotmilk400

did these universal ones work fine for you? i needa replace mine in my 98
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:14 AM   #5
Kraln

works for me.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 AM   #6
atlanta318ti

Universal should be fine as long as you get a good, clean connection (test it) and seal it up well. Otherwise, I have to give props to cmuzy on bimmerforums (seen him on here as well). He sells the sensors with OEM connectors cheaper than anywhere else. I bought one new (NGK) for my M3 for about $70 including the shipping. The same exact part elsewhere for my M3 was about $140. I forget what his storefront is, but he's a valid retailer. I ordered mine and had it within 2 days.
atlanta318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:48 AM   #7
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I tried a Bosch universal post-cat sensor and it didn't work. I even soldered the wires. After the first failed attempt, I took it back out and switched the heater wires thinking maybe they were crossed since both were the same color. Kept getting the o2 sensor heater code. Maybe it works on '95's, but it definitely didn't work on my '97. Bought two new sensors, light went out, car ran perfect and fuel economy improved. It costs about 200 bucks for a pair of Bosch OEM sensors, but they last a long time and will give you piece of mind.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:49 AM   #8
BobbyDigital

Yeah, it works on my '95.
BobbyDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
hotmilk400

before i buy one, (which i will probably just get the standard O2 sensor made for my car) i wanna make sure that the O2 sensor is bad.

the code on my car that is coming up comes up as unknown at about 3 different places that readers codes. they even checked with different readers.. i bought a cheaper computer based reader offline , and the code that came up was a Cat inefficiency code. could it be my O2 sensors? or could the reader just be wrong and guessing? every reader came up as something different.. one place said it was an issue with the airbags (after 3 other readers failed) the other place could even get a code and my reader says Cat converter, but my gas millage is 30 MPG with horrible, speedy driving habits (so my mpg is fine). i reset it a few times, and the CEL turns on after about 80 - 200 miles and normal driving. same gas, same everything. it started doing it about 6000 miles ago.. haha.. and no problems..

what should i do for inspection? get the O2 sensors now and try to replace them quick? reset it and take it to inspection to see if it passes? let them try to figure it out? i have a pretty limited budget..

any ideas?

BTW:
anyone live close to reading PA? ill pay you to work on my car =] and, it needs alot of work.. haha..
Old 12-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
cooljess76

I wish I lived closer, I'd be more than happy to help you work on your car. Unfortunately it's sounding like you might have a bad catalytic converter. That's a very expensive part, about $1500-1800 at the dealership for a refurbished OEM unit. I've yet to hear of an aftermarket cat that works for more than a couple months. Since junkyards are not allowed to sell them (EPA laws), you might try searching the for sale section here or the classifieds on bf.c for people parting out their cars. If your car is a '95, it's OBD1. If it's a '96 or newer, it's an OBD2. You need to find a cat that's either OBD1 or OBD2, depending what year your car is. OBD2 catalytic converters have 2 oxygen sensors, while OBD1 cats only use one. Also, only 4 cylinder catalytic converters will fit our cars, so look for either a Z3 1.9L cat (if your car is OBD2) or perhaps a 318i, 318is, 318ci, or 318ti cat. You could probably find one for about 300-400 bucks which is pretty cheap considering the dealer's prices. Your other option would be to find a BMW 6 cylinder cat, they have two, cut one of them off and weld your flanges onto it to fit your car. This would be better if done by a shop of course. Do you remember what the actual code was? It shoud be something like "p11xx" or something to that effect. Best of luck to you, I'll try to help with as much information as I can.

Oh yeah, if you reset the codes and try to bring it to the shop before the CEL comes back on, they'll know because there's a few different monitors that need to complete their cycles before the ECU will read ready for inspection. So that probably won't work.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
hotmilk400

wanna buy my car? =]

someone on here was parting out a 98 ti (i have a 98 btw) and they told me 125 for the cat.. i freaking should have taken it.. but i didnt have the money at the time.

i will still try to reset it and drive around for alittle and see if it will pass.. after like 100 miles, it might have enough to get pass the CEL test, but maybe not the emmisions test..

I figured it was the Cat, there is no way im getting a Cat on my car, i only paid $1500 for the entire thing.. after i take out the stereo, and part out some major things, it is paid for.. haha..

maybe ill cheat the system somehow, but i only got about 2 weeks before i need inspection.. *got to find someone that will hand me the sticker* haha..
Old 12-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #12
cooljess76

You'ld then be passing the problem onto somebody else, which IMO is a pretty sh*tty thing to do. There's tons of part-out threads on the forums and I bet I could locate a used cat in a matter of minutes, but if you don't feel like investing the time to properly fix your own car and would rather "cheat the system", then I guess my help is better offered elsewhere.
Good luck anyway, I guess.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:09 AM   #13
hotmilk400

hey now, i never said i wanted to get it inspected and sell it.. i will just let it die, then part out what i know is okay (rims, wheels, interior, ect) i need to cheat the system because i have to get it inspected within 2 weeks, and it might be hard to find a cat on short notice.. since new or refurbished isnt an option, i need it to pass so i can have time to get the cat used from some one before my cat dies completely and my top speed is like 20 MPH .. haha.. but seriously, i have been looking for a cat now for awhile among other ti owners in this area. before i thought it was just the O2 sensors that is why i pasted up the cheap cat on this site. if i can get a used cat, i will take it in a heart beat. sorry if i sounded like i just didnt care and wanted to push my car on someone else or something.. i know my car has about 200 problems, but i would never sell it , atleast without listing every problem.
when i tell people i bought it fr $1500, they tell me they would have bought it and its cheap, then i tell them the list of problems it came with.. then they are like.. ummm welll.. ill pass.. haha.. the only reason i would sell my car is to get it off my hands, but i would let it go so cheap that even if u came over from cali to get it, and drive it back, u could part it out and make money.. hha. also the door is dented, and the bumper is messed up, so no one would want it even if everything else was fine..

but seriously.. sorry if i came off as made.. u gotta understand that the last 8 months, i have put about $1500 into this car which is alot since im going to college full time, and only have a crappy part time job.. and even with all that money invested ,i cant keep up with the high price of the maintance.. so getting a sticker to pass inspection will save me the $1800 for a new cat.. let alone the clutch that wont last much longer, and new tires, and new whatever else that breaks by then.. haha..

so dude.. if you can find me a cheap cat, u are better then me. cheap cat would be like 0 - $500.. i think i saw one on a website really cheap once, but i think they jacked up the price to like $800 again =/

haha.. i just need the cat to last me till 200,000 miles, since i really doubt this car will be worth me fixing up after then..

*also, i wanted a sticker now because even $100 is hard for me.. i am going on vacation like mid December (hence the 2 weeks limit) and if i have to spend $250 on a cat + inspection + installation of the cat. .. i will be like .. way to broke to even go on vacation.. =/

like i said.. i would never sell the car after i got it inspected, i just need time to find a cat.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:05 AM   #14
cooljess76

Right on, well I'll keep my eyes open for one. Hopefully you could get it all sorted out and still go on vacation. Hmph I think we all could use a vacation right about now, lol.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:19 AM   #15
hotmilk400

haha.. o man.. even getting away for a day is nice, let alone 2 weeks.. haha