318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 99,085 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 62,014 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,286 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
mickd

Default BMW Pride (Long)

I don't know about you guys, but I usually keep quiet about the cars I own. BMW's were only known by most of the general public as "yuppie" cars in the 80's, and I would never want to be known as a yuppie. I have been a BMW fan since the 1600/2002 days. It's too bad most people don't realize how well these cars are engineered, and about BMW's illustrious history in motor racing. I'm probably preaching to the choir but it is good to have a group that understands what these cars are all about. I had a real sense of pride this morning coming to work. Going through town towards the freeway I am behind an X5 and he gets on the same freeway ramp. He leaves me behind a bit on the ramp but I just nudge ahead of a truck when I'm merging to stay behind the X5. Needless to say our driving was spirited, kept a safe distance behind the X5 and let him lead. We both were negotiating traffic safely, leaving everyone behind. I pulled along side the X5 right before my off ramp and we both gave each other a thumbs up with a big smile. Made my day. Really made me proud to be a BMW owner. When I first got my ti in Feb. '96 a co-worker said I could have gotten 2 Chevy Cavalier's for the price (that really wasn't accurate). I wonder where those Cavaliers would be after 9 years, knowing how I drive. I couldn't be happy driving a car like that anyway. I just wonder what reactions you have had from people outside the BMW crowd, and express my happiness being able to drive the cars we do.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
ZeroG
I miss my Ti....... :(

Default I totally agree ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd
I don't know about you guys, but I usually keep quiet about the cars I own. BMW's were only known by most of the general public as "yuppie" cars in the 80's, and I would never want to be known as a yuppie. I have been a BMW fan since the 1600/2002 days. It's too bad most people don't realize how well these cars are engineered, and about BMW's illustrious history in motor racing. I'm probably preaching to the choir but it is good to have a group that understands what these cars are all about. I had a real sense of pride this morning coming to work. Going through town towards the freeway I am behind an X5 and he gets on the same freeway ramp. He leaves me behind a bit on the ramp but I just nudge ahead of a truck when I'm merging to stay behind the X5. Needless to say our driving was spirited, kept a safe distance behind the X5 and let him lead. We both were negotiating traffic safely, leaving everyone behind. I pulled along side the X5 right before my off ramp and we both gave each other a thumbs up with a big smile. Made my day. Really made me proud to be a BMW owner. When I first got my ti in Feb. '96 a co-worker said I could have gotten 2 Chevy Cavalier's for the price (that really wasn't accurate). I wonder where those Cavaliers would be after 9 years, knowing how I drive. I couldn't be happy driving a car like that anyway. I just wonder what reactions you have had from people outside the BMW crowd, and express my happiness being able to drive the cars we do.
I often see BMW's on the road, and every once and while they'll stick with me or I'll stick with them, and make our presence in number shown.

-Chad
Old 02-24-2005, 09:29 PM   #3
aceyx

Default the days of yore.

i often think of the E30 years as the best years of owning a bimmer. although they started to get associated with yuppies later in the production cycle, the fuel was started by enthusiasts who took driving seriously.

i remember flashing my headlights to other owners and getting the same in return and often a wave, wink or smile.

now, i worry about most drivers even paying enough attention to the road to notice. however, you can still meet the enthusiasts at cca events, track days etc.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:48 PM   #4
GDB

I have only once gotten so much as a look from another bmw owner. And I live 10 minuted from BMP, I figured I'd see more enthusiasts with that company right around the corner from me.
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:11 AM   #5
gooten1

There's a girl who drives a ti at the college I go to. Drives it just as a means to get from A to B. She has no clue as to the heritage behind the brand, just that the car looks nice and was a cheap BMW. That's the kind of thing that bothers me. Driving the car as a status symbol and totally clueless as to what it means. I get mean looks from other people when I say that I drive a BMW..."oh, he's just some rich kid." Not true...I had to work for the car, and I can honestly say that I got much more than I paid for in the car. Us enthusiasts are relegated back to the dark corner of the BMW community...the rich doctors driving their 7's and 5's with the bangle-fied looks to them are the majority now...and the few M3's I see are usually bought for the image. They should give a test to BMW buyers. If you can't answer these questions about BMW heritage, I say you should only be allowed to buy base models. The more questions you get right, the nicer the car you get. If you can answer 100% of the questions, only then should you be allowed to buy the M cars. (Like the new M6...it's coming folks...after a 15 year absence.) Anywho, I too am thankful for these groups. Enthusiasts that can hang out and chat about the things that they care about, though we are outnumbered. Thank you for all of you that care about your car and the heritage behind it.

(On another note...what's the story with middle aged women driving all the cool cars? I passed an E30 M3 driven by a middle aged woman, and she was doing about 10 under the speed limit. It almost made me cry. I wanted to go up to her and have a word with her. I'd gladly trade her a cheaper car that would get her from A to B at 10 under easily, while keeping the M3 for myself. )
Old 02-25-2005, 01:14 AM   #6
Panzer_M

I got my BMW cause,

1. Personal history with munchen
2. Family history connected with both BMW and tuning in Germany
3. Pride in BMW as a company since earily days before it was BMW.
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:37 AM   #7
mickd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooten1
There's a girl who drives a ti at the college I go to. Drives it just as a means to get from A to B. She has no clue as to the heritage behind the brand, just that the car looks nice and was a cheap BMW. That's the kind of thing that bothers me. Driving the car as a status symbol and totally clueless as to what it means. I get mean looks from other people when I say that I drive a BMW..."oh, he's just some rich kid." Not true...I had to work for the car, and I can honestly say that I got much more than I paid for in the car. Us enthusiasts are relegated back to the dark corner of the BMW community...the rich doctors driving their 7's and 5's with the bangle-fied looks to them are the majority now...and the few M3's I see are usually bought for the image. They should give a test to BMW buyers. If you can't answer these questions about BMW heritage, I say you should only be allowed to buy base models. The more questions you get right, the nicer the car you get. If you can answer 100% of the questions, only then should you be allowed to buy the M cars. (Like the new M6...it's coming folks...after a 15 year absence.) Anywho, I too am thankful for these groups. Enthusiasts that can hang out and chat about the things that they care about, though we are outnumbered. Thank you for all of you that care about your car and the heritage behind it.

(On another note...what's the story with middle aged women driving all the cool cars? I passed an E30 M3 driven by a middle aged woman, and she was doing about 10 under the speed limit. It almost made me cry. I wanted to go up to her and have a word with her. I'd gladly trade her a cheaper car that would get her from A to B at 10 under easily, while keeping the M3 for myself. )
Gooten, you hit the nail on the head. I too had to work hard for my car and wish I could be driving an M3. Not saying I would rather own an M3 than the ti, It would be nice to have an M3 in addition to the ti. Or somthing like a 6 cylinder conversion like alot of you out there. That has to be the ultimate in performance for the E36. I have always liked 4 cylinder BMW's, and am kind of sad that they aren't sold in the USA anymore. That's a great idea, a test to determine what models you could drive. I dream about the new 6 Series too. Thanks to everyone who responded, I have felt kind of isolated as a BMW owner and just wanted to share my experience I had this morning. And I can relate to not wanting to tell anyone what I drive when asked. I always get the impression they think I'm a snob. Don't really understand that, I usually respond pretty sheepishly. Thanks again for all the responses, glad to know that all of you out there really care about your car, the company, the community, and most of all, driving.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:56 AM   #8
aceyx

i think M cars should have a driving test, not a history test. one lap at the local track, and you have to make it under a certain time.

most of the enthusiast owners of nice cars track them, so they're rarely seen (if at all) on the street.

i'll admit, i'm a bit of a vehicle snob. i don't tell people i own a bmw (i just say a german hatchback) but i won't drive anything FWD or that doesn't like all four tires to sing like a glorious choir around a bend.

and i won't ride a bike that's designed under a price point, only those to a philosophy and quality.

i'm not a "this'll make do" kind of person, and that's why i'm a bimmerphile.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote