318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 980,639 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
eurekaiv

Default New rear speakers

My right rear speaker blew up today. And so I've done a bunch of searching and reading around and still have a few questions about replacing both of my rear speakers with something nicer. If I'm understanding correctly, it looks like there's 4 ways to go.

1. Get a 4T mount speaker. It doesn't appear from looking at pics of 4T speakers that these are a direct drop in replacement so I'm not sure why this is any better then other ways.

2. Get a 4" speaker and bend the tabs so that I can mount it in the current bracket after breaking out the bad old speaker. I'm leaning towards this at the moment as it looks like the simplest mod without cutting up the bracket too much. How does this effect the sound however? Most replacement speakers are two-way and if I recall correctly the stock amp has crossovers heading to the rear sub and tweeter. So wiring the new two-way speaker in place of the old woofer will have it getting a crossed over signal... or a signal with no high end. Also, no warranty if I have to bend the tabs to mount them.

3. Spend $70 on two mounting brackets for standard 5.25" speakers. My favorite choice for ease but much more expensive due to the overpriced plastic mounting bracket. It also seems like the crossover issue is there (if that is indeed an issue) and many of these aftermarket speakers have the tweeter sticking up rather high and I suspect that may prevent the speaker from mounting correctly. Do they come with shim rings typcially?

4. Cut up the panel to fit 6.5" speakers as seen here: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21708
I like the idea of larger speakers but not sure I'd be able to get just any 6.5" to work (due to the tweeter sticking up above the surround) and I'm not all that keen on cutting up pieces of the car to fit speakers.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Last edited by eurekaiv; 10-24-2009 at 11:33 PM.
eurekaiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
tiFreak

Vehicles

simpler solution, I just unplugged mine when they blew, you don't really notice the difference from the drivers seat
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:43 AM   #3
eurekaiv

I can tell a huge difference with the rear speakers out personally so I would prefer to just replace them.

I was able to get the speakers out of the mounting cup by sliding an exacto through the glued joints. So does a "4T" speaker have the same tab structure as the stock ones do? If that's the case I'll just drop two of those in but none of the photos online of so-called 4T mount speakers look anything like the oem's do.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
tiFreak

Vehicles

well I personally didn't notice a difference before I put my subs in, but I guess you could just mount the 4" speaker with the tabs bent, there are no stock crossovers so it's not going to affect anything
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
ajoystick

i had been running disconnected rear speakers for about 2 years, and ran into a deal on speakers (front and rear infinity reference series). With your mounting option #2 they make a clear difference IMHO actually having speakers its a great plus (but i am a very picky about my Ti) removing the rear speakers from the bracket is a PITA but do-able. good luck with whatever you decide.
ajoystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
eurekaiv

Thanks for the reply, ajoystick. I had no problem getting the rear speakers out of the bracket without breaking anything. I just slid an Exacto through the glue and it separated easily. Then I used some toothpicks to hold the tabs open and the speakers twisted right out. So I have a pristine mounting bracket to put new speakers in if I can figure out what actually will fit before I buy something that doesn't. I'm happy to hear that your Infinity's did the trick however. What speakers did you replace in the front and did you put them in the door or kick panel?

Last edited by eurekaiv; 10-25-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
BMW_318TI

Get some SQ front speakers and HU for best sound!
Rear speakers are useless.
BMW_318TI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
DGWGuitars

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
My right rear speaker blew up today. And so I've done a bunch of searching and reading around and still have a few questions about replacing both of my rear speakers with something nicer. If I'm understanding correctly, it looks like there's 4 ways to go.

1. Get a 4T mount speaker. It doesn't appear from looking at pics of 4T speakers that these are a direct drop in replacement so I'm not sure why this is any better then other ways.

2. Get a 4" speaker and bend the tabs so that I can mount it in the current bracket after breaking out the bad old speaker. I'm leaning towards this at the moment as it looks like the simplest mod without cutting up the bracket too much. How does this effect the sound however? Most replacement speakers are two-way and if I recall correctly the stock amp has crossovers heading to the rear sub and tweeter. So wiring the new two-way speaker in place of the old woofer will have it getting a crossed over signal... or a signal with no high end. Also, no warranty if I have to bend the tabs to mount them.

3. Spend $70 on two mounting brackets for standard 5.25" speakers. My favorite choice for ease but much more expensive due to the overpriced plastic mounting bracket. It also seems like the crossover issue is there (if that is indeed an issue) and many of these aftermarket speakers have the tweeter sticking up rather high and I suspect that may prevent the speaker from mounting correctly. Do they come with shim rings typcially?

4. Cut up the panel to fit 6.5" speakers as seen here: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21708
I like the idea of larger speakers but not sure I'd be able to get just any 6.5" to work (due to the tweeter sticking up above the surround) and I'm not all that keen on cutting up pieces of the car to fit speakers.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
I have one, if you want it. The left one blew on mine and I ended up replacing both, so I have the old one which worked when it was taken out. PM me.
DGWGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
eurekaiv

Thanks for the offer on the speaker, that's really nice of you. I already ordered some $25 Pioneer's to try out but if they're not going to fit reasonably then I may have to take you up on that.

I absolutely do not want to replace my head unit with an aftermarket one. They all look terrible inside the car in my opinion and do not want to change the stock appearance in any way. I know I'm not going to get the best sound quality from the stock system but the speakers will get me a little ways toward better without compromising the look of the interior in my car.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
DGWGuitars

Vehicles

Quote:
Thanks for the offer on the speaker, that's really nice of you. I already ordered some $25 Pioneer's to try out but if they're not going to fit reasonably then I may have to take you up on that.

I absolutely do not want to replace my head unit with an aftermarket one. They all look terrible inside the car in my opinion and do not want to change the stock appearance in any way. I know I'm not going to get the best sound quality from the stock system but the speakers will get me a little ways toward better without compromising the look of the interior in my car.
OK. I had the rear speakers replaced on another ti I had a few years back with non-BMW speakers and didn't think that there was much (if any) improvement in sound quality. The speaker's yours if you want it. On the head unit, IMO you're doing the right thing. I swapped out my tape for a Blaupunkt New Orleans a couple of months ago and while it works fine, I ultimately didn't like the look. I have a BMW Business CD on the way to get it back to what it should be, while still being able to play CD's.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:41 PM   #11
pnosker

The CD43 (Business CD) really improves the sound quality. There are much better electronics in the CD43 than the C33. The C43 is better but not as good as the CD43.

In all honesty, my system sounds very good with the Business CD. I highly recommend it, though it's a bit pricey.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
DGWGuitars

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnosker View Post
The CD43 (Business CD) really improves the sound quality. There are much better electronics in the CD43 than the C33. The C43 is better but not as good as the CD43.

In all honesty, my system sounds very good with the Business CD. I highly recommend it, though it's a bit pricey.
Thanks for the info. It's supposed to arrive soon - hopefully this week.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:56 AM   #13
eurekaiv

How much is too much to pay for a CD43? That sounds tempting.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:08 AM   #14
DGWGuitars

Vehicles

Quote:
How much is too much to pay for a CD43? That sounds tempting.
$250 + shipping on eBay. The seller's name is "bimmercrazy", and he has one up for auction now - 180423356711 - with a "Best Offer". One downside is that they come from EU, so the shipping time is relatively long.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:21 AM   #15
eurekaiv

This is getting to be a threadjack but will this work the same with my OBC? The lights have been out in my deck for ages and so this is really tempting. If I didn't have my eye on a $700 guitar I would be all in already.

Last edited by eurekaiv; 10-27-2009 at 04:25 AM.