318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 987,069 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Artem

Vehicles
Default Denon/Rockford/Etc.... ONCE AND FOR ALL

Ok guys... Im pretty fed up with companies and distributors right now... Specifically because nobody know what is what.

What I have is a Rockford Fosgate copper chassis radio/preamplifier - Model number RFX 8250, the aluminum face version and it sounds great. Theres no bass now in the car since I put it in, but it is my understanding that it needs to be used with a subwoofer or some sort of a special bass driver the way I have it setup.

From what I gather, these radios were made by Denon and distributed via Rockford for the US market, as most of the Denon decks are Japanese.

What I really want to know is how to mount this thing properly. I have been through a number of distributors, I called Denon, I contacted their parts department, I called pacparts, I called everyone anyone I talked to ever referred me to, and nobody knows what I am talking about.

All I want is a trim ring, and a mounting sleeve, 'a cage' for this thing, a proper one - I bought a Metra 99-9001 kit out of desperation, it cost me $10 and I have no idea what the hell they make them for nowadays (a 2-shaft radio kit???)

I attached a picture of how its sitting now in my radio, but I cannot compensate by installing a universal cage in there - I take band-aid approach to things, but in the end I have to do it right, there is no alternative.

Thank you guys in advance. If anyone knows something about something without a lot of misinformation, its this forum - I dont know why I didnt post sooner... The rest of the on-line communities are just annoying - diy mobile audio has a million different theories that end nowhere, and any google search of any sort ends up nowhere as well... But I love Denon stuff, i have their amp/preamp at home and it sounds amazing, I swear by their equipment, its expensive and good, but this kind of stuff just annoys the crap out of me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	rockford fosgate 8250.jpg Views:	251 Size:	33.8 KB ID:	13762  
Artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
Artem

Vehicles

Noone? Bueller... Bueller??

Just need a cage guys, Denon cant be THAT unique - they require a cage that requires u-shaped 'forks' to remove
Old 04-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
Mic10is

you could realistically use any cage. remove the dash piece. put the cage in, bend the tabs and slide the radio in as deep as it will fit. then line up where there are mounting holes on the radio with the cage. then drill out the cage and use small small screws to mount the head unit. then slide the entire assembly back in the dash.
This method will also make it much more difficult to steal.

the U shaped fork removal tools are for Ford/Mazda, so if you want to go that route, thats an option.

the main issue after mounting you will have is finding a decent looking trim ring. a Metra or pacparts universal may fit after modifying,but you may need to make your own.

and also---the RFX series was never meant to be released in the US initially. RF had some made for them, but they didnt sell well in Japan. So they were shipped to the US,changed the tuner to US freqs and basically blown out to clear inventory.
I have an original RFX8250, one of the 1st in the US with a Japanese Tuner. I also have a Denon DCT1.
Mic10is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
SpeedDemon

Hey bud. Your local car audio installer here. Can I get some.picture of the side of the radio? I don't think you even know what kind of radio that is. That's a sound quality competition radio. You should be using it with super bad ass amps and speakers. And a nice sub setup. That's not just your normal radio. Anyways send some pictures I might be able to figure something out.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Artem

Vehicles

Thanks guys! the pictures are attached, I have a set of infinity kappa perfect speakers and tweeters in the front, and I am looking to replace the woofers in the back with a set of 4" polk speakers, but I havent found the perfect ones yet.

I run a A/D/S PQ10 amp in the back driving all the speakers front and back through A/D/S and infinity crossovers. I was thinking of adding another A/D/S amp with a low profile subwoofer in the back, but that will be a long project.

Thanks for the head's up!

I know that Denon and Rockford dont want to have these things on file for some reason, but I know there are cages that fit them just right - right now I am using a generic cage with the screws and its pitiful I just want it to be done and look legit. cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	left2.jpg Views:	210 Size:	52.7 KB ID:	13851   Click image for larger version Name:	left.jpg Views:	159 Size:	8.2 KB ID:	13852   Click image for larger version Name:	right.jpg Views:	208 Size:	23.4 KB ID:	13853  

Old 04-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Mic10is

as u mentioned earlier. all you need to do is find any cage. drill holes in the sides that match up to the Iso-Din holes in the head unit and mount it that way.

secure the cage in with the tabs into the plastic bezel. slide the radio in. secure with screws.
slide bezel back in and screw it back down. there is a screw behind/under the clock.

then find/make a trim ring
Mic10is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
Artem

Vehicles

There was a thread about installing this unit in an M3... These are the pics that were in that thread. What is that trim ring and adapter things?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	scope4.jpg Views:	282 Size:	43.5 KB ID:	13864   Click image for larger version Name:	DSC_2964.jpg Views:	207 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	13865