318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,000 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-03-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
dahamler

Default Rear Wiper Pains Help Needed !!!!!!!!!

I have a problem with my rear wiper here is what I have figured out so far.

1. The rear wiper doesn’t work, but the front wipers function correctly.
2. Disconnecting the wiper control module allows the rear wipers to work (but will not spray fluid) and the front wipers do not function at all. (Note I have replaced the module with known good ones and nothing changes).
3. If I disconnect the wiper sprayer both the front and rear wipers work but obviously the sprayer for both the front and back do not work.

I’m beginning to suspect that the motor for the wiper is incorrect or is malfunctioning.

Could someone give me some type of insight as to what I should do? Have any of the members here experienced any problem similar to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dahamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
cmptrwiz

Vehicles
Default rear wiper motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahamler View Post
I have a problem with my rear wiper here is what I have figured out so far.

1. The rear wiper doesn’t work, but the front wipers function correctly.
2. Disconnecting the wiper control module allows the rear wipers to work (but will not spray fluid) and the front wipers do not function at all. (Note I have replaced the module with known good ones and nothing changes).
3. If I disconnect the wiper sprayer both the front and rear wipers work but obviously the sprayer for both the front and back do not work.

I’m beginning to suspect that the motor for the wiper is incorrect or is malfunctioning.

Could someone give me some type of insight as to what I should do? Have any of the members here experienced any problem similar to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The problem is usually internal rust jamming the mechanism and stripping the gear in the wiper motor (see photo). There is no repair for this problem and a junkyard unit likely to have the same symptoms. I bought a new BMW unit and vowed not to use plain water in the summer. BMW wiper fluid allegedly doesn't cause rust in the rear wiper. Another poor design choice on the e36 ti, the water could be prevented from entering the mechanism/gear area of the motor.

Water passes through the hole in the knob on the left side as the water goes to washer nozzles on the rear wiper arm. Used some dielectric grease to lube this area and the gear on the bottom of the pink ring on the new wiper motor. Will take it apart again in the spring to see if any rust has started and replace the grease with something more suitable.

Even though the motor worked just fine on the old unit the gear was totally stripped. Like always no replacement is available!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	rear-wiper-motor-bad.jpg Views:	297 Size:	157.5 KB ID:	13578  
cmptrwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
joesmoe3

Default Follow-up question ? How does it work ?

My windshield washer in my 1995 318ti quit, and I replaced the motor. In the process, I noted that there were two fluid lines. One obviously runs to the nozzles in the hood for the frond windshield. The motor runs when activating the rear wiper pulse, and can't tell where the washer fluid goes, if anywhere. Looking all over, didn't see any nozzles on the deck or anywhere around the rear windshield.

The mechanic looked up the parts fiche, and was left scratching his head, admonishing me not to run the rear washer (if that's what it is) until he finds out something.

Seeing this post is the first reference I've seen to the rear washer.

Might someone provide the parts involved, and the routing of the washer line to the rear, specifically where it ends. And, what is the mechanism for the actual sprayer ? Is it a special wiper arm, or an attachment to it that has long gone missing on my car ?

Thank you.
joesmoe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
cmptrwiz

Vehicles

The WW Fluid comes from the front WW Fluid Res (under the hood) and squirts through the pump and wiper arm to the rear window. Have you figured out the 'on-off' taps on the wiper stalk? 2-forward for 'on' two forward for 'off' 1-forward for one wipe... forward and hold for ww fluid. it takes some getting used too. (For reasons unknown this is not covered in the owners manual)

You need to use special BMW windshield washer fluid because of the rusting inside the rear wiper pump because the water flows through it... Silly design! But you cannot use plain water ever! see photo above.

Yes there is a special arm for the rear wiper BMW Part number 61628357517 (check for your rear at realoem.com)

If the mechanic didn't hook the water line to the pump, the rear washer won't work. The hose starts at the WW Reservoir under the hood and goes through back from there. First fill the WW Res with approved fluid (not plain water). Easiest way to check to find if the hose is connected (and if it leaks) is to hold the wiper control stalk forward and see if water is coming out of the hatch (on top of the bumper) or out the bottom of the car somewhere.

The cover for the bolt of the rear wiper arm has a rubber boot that carries the water to the arm... make sure its connected (lift up on it gently). Its its damaged or missing replace the whole arm...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...99&hg=61&fg=45

this is for 1997 318ti they may all be the same... a BMW parts guy could find that out as well.

Last edited by cmptrwiz; 10-16-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
joesmoe3

Much appreciated. There is no fluid moving, so I suspect the line is pinched or otherwise blocked. Will take some sleuthing to find it, then decide if it's worth fixing.

:-)
Old 10-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
cmptrwiz

Vehicles

Do the front washers work? I'd check the WWF reservoir under the hood first, there is one or two screw/nuts and it lifts up. There are two pumps attached to it, I believe. The connectors there would be the most logical thing to check first. Taking the inside hatch cover off is a bitch, but if you can access an air compressor you can blow air back to the reservoir!

I
Old 10-17-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
joesmoe3

Default Also excellent points . . .

Yes, the motor runs in both cases (that is, command for the front washer, and command for the rear). So in this case, it's the connection info I was seeking, and the air compressor idea . . . primo. I'll do that.

Thank you !
Old 10-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
cmptrwiz

Vehicles

I just thought you could also blow the air in through the connector on the rear wiper arm...
Old 10-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
joesmoe3

Default Spot on

I lifted the boot as suggested, and carefully disconnected the fluid line. I turned on the washer motor and after a few rusty spurts, the current washer fluid squirted high.

I've given up fiddling with the nozzles. I suspect that they're blocked with rust. I think I'm just going to use the part number you gave me, and order a replacement arm.

Thank you !
Old 10-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
cmptrwiz

Vehicles
Default another good idea

if its rusty now... I'd take the rear motor out , open it up clean it up and grease the inside with dielectric grease and make sure to only BMW Washer Fluid is used after... its supposed to stop rust. The lube used during assembly isn't very good!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
CASTRO

Vehicles

Get rid of it, wiper delete looks cleaner
CASTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
cmptrwiz

Vehicles
Default no way

I like my rear wiper... I'd never delete it.

Last edited by cmptrwiz; 10-20-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #13
pilsberry

Vehicles

I have a leak in the line that runs to the rear wiper. It is somewhere in the A pillar as fluid puddles in the passenger floor. Anybody have info about replacing this line?
Thanks,
Bryan
pilsberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:00 AM   #14
runnr548

Vehicles

I need a diagram of the rear washer hose from the pump under the hood to the rear wiper arm. We need to replace the entire hose, as it is brittle. Any ideas?
runnr548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:37 AM   #15
cmptrwiz

Vehicles

As far as I know there isn't any such diagram the Compact and Touring are not covered at all in the Bentley Shop Manual.

For the e36/5 (compact) the only possibility I can think of is to ask the Shop Foreman of your local BMW Dealer if the BMW TIS has any info on the route of the rear washer hose. You may be surprised, they might be,

the part number is 61688360989 for REAR WIPER HOSE

from realoem.com

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...70#61688360989