10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 990,355 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
ElfinForest318ti

Default Coronado Speed Festival

I was at the Speed Festival this weekend which was down at NAS North Island (San Diego). In the car club corral, there was not ONE 318ti at the BMW area. The Mini Cooper area had 75 cars! I drove down in my old 911 of which there were plenty of different models represented in the Porsche area.

But next year, I'm driving my wife's 318ti. If I drove it down this year, I'd be the ONLY BMW 318ti among hundreds and hundreds of different car types in the car club corral.
ElfinForest318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:30 AM   #2
bmvw

I didn't bother with the Coronado b/c it was supposed to be all vintage? at least that's what I saw on the news.

I heard there's a BWM autocross every month at the stadium. I saw the Porsche-only one once, all those guys do is waste gas from what I can tell.
bmvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:44 AM   #3
ElfinForest318ti

Yeah, Coronado is all vintage, but there is alot of variety. There is a special parking lot right up at the race course for car club cars. There was every type under the sun represented
Old 10-10-2006, 05:00 AM   #4
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfinForest318ti View Post
But next year, I'm driving my wife's 318ti. If I drove it down this year, I'd be the ONLY BMW 318ti among hundreds and hundreds of different car types in the car club corral.
Not if i decide to go

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:57 AM   #5
clex2

Actually, I was there on Saturday from 8-12. It was a very cool setup. Lots of old and expensive machinery. I especially liked the Ferrari 250 GTO. Awesome sounding V12 and fast as hell. I'd definitely try to take the family there next year. My 2 year old keeps pulling out the PS2 and Xbox controllers so she can watch me play GT4 and Forza. I'm thinking she'll like it, if she can get over how loud it can be.

Did you get to drive the fuel cell cars? Each of those cars costs over a million dollars and I got to drive 5 of them. They were kinda neat.

I parked in the BMW Club Corral (See pic, sorry for the quality, it's a snap shot from my video)
http://bimmerboard.com/members/clex2...l/pic_0001.jpg
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:36 AM   #6
ElfinForest318ti

We'll I'm glad to hear someone with a 318ti attended. I took a few pictures in the pits, where I spent most of my time when not watching the heats. Here's that 250 GTO, one good looking piece of machinery. The owner has a lot guts running that million dollar baby on the track. It could have easily been left in a museum somewhere. Another good looking 60's era car is the 908.
Next time I'll test drive those fuel cell cars. Did you get a fuel cell t-shirt for driving?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	Ferrari 250 GTO.jpg Views:	150 Size:	63.2 KB ID:	2630   Click image for larger version Name:	908.jpg Views:	149 Size:	58.1 KB ID:	2631  
Old 10-11-2006, 04:53 AM   #7
clex2

Elfin, nice pics. Again, that's a sweet GTO. I think I've seen it (this particular one) run at Willow Spings while I was running a Porrsche Owners Club event there many years back. And yup, got the chessy T-shirt.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
Old 10-11-2006, 05:32 AM   #8
ElfinForest318ti

I didn't realize you had a 911 too.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:38 AM   #9
clex2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfinForest318ti View Post
I didn't realize you had a 911 too.
Yeah, '75 911S Targa, with '78 SC motor, running early exhaust headers (no heat exchangers) and sport exhaust, light weight flywheel. The sound is intoxicating. It's been in storage for a few years now, and I need to get going on a full ground up restoration project, witha few mods thrown in for good measure.

What year is your 911.

As you know, nothing makes you feel more connected to the road than an old 911. Mines definitely slower than the 330ti, but way more fun.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:41 AM   #10
HuGo

We used to have a Porsche 912 but my dad never got to fix it up so he sold it. But i have my GT3 which doesnt need work.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:51 AM   #11
ElfinForest318ti

Its a '73 911E. No modifications, stock 2.4 litre with mechanical fuel injection. No sunroof, a/c, or power windows, but it does have sport seats.

Nothing like the scream of a Porsche flat six going through the gears.

Although, that 318ti does handle nearly as well as my 911. Though the 911 has the power advantage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	73 911E.jpg Views:	135 Size:	77.7 KB ID:	2632  
Old 10-11-2006, 05:55 AM   #12
ElfinForest318ti

I hope you do get down to the CSF next year.