318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 991,213 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
mattydont

Default Sensor Questions

OK Sooo i am just about done with my engine/body swap with my car, When i start my car i can hear the starter crank and all, i know the Fuel pump works (tested with a jump fuses), (not sure on ignition or coils but) I have a few sensors that are broken or missing (I just want to get the engine to turn over before i start putting the front end on again)...... the ICV has no sensor (wires fine, having a hard time finding a replacment for it) and IAF has broken connector (i need to rewire this)

Would this stop the engine from cranking?

btw M44 97 ti, i just want to know really will not have the ICV sensor connect stop the engine from cranking.
mattydont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

EWS issue if you changed DME's. They need to be alligned
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
mattydont

Well i thought that too, at one point, i have the old EWS, Antena ring (matching to the DME) and it didnt even start to crank so i switched it back.

The old engine in it was a m43 so different DME I think but i still have that (i'll try any suggestions in about 8 hours, just brainstorming atm, people dont like engines with out exhausts starting at 3 am i think :P )
Old 01-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Philly

antenna ring does not need to match the DME... can't verify as its been awhile since I did my i6 swap but IIRC, the antenna ring needs to match the 'transponder' under the steering column. You could have left your stock stuff and been fine, so long as you install the matching keychip for the new EWS into your key. The EWS unit itself is located behind the glove box and that is what needs to match the DME.

for whatever reason, alot of people believe the antenna ring and transponder from under the steering column need to come from the donor car but they do not. All you need the keychip and the EWS from behind the glove box and a matching DME.

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
mattydont

yeah philly i kind of got a bit anal about striping the old card for the new body.

As far as the swap go's the whole engine + harness was swapped into a m43 body.

So What id have as far as eletics go's is.

m44 DME (from old car)
EWS Unit (glove box) from donor shell
EWS Connector (below steering colum) from donor shell
Antenna from donor shell.

Like i said before it cranks with the EWS from the old car with this DME it doesnt even crank. so i think this may have had EWS1 not EWS2 like the old car did, hence why i ask if senors being not connected/broken (those two in perticualar everything else is fine) stoping the engine from firing.

**** the sun just came up.... argh im going to bed need top stop reading wiring manuals for answers lol.

thanks for the feed back guys, I wanna do a 3.2 swap down the track but yeah big learning curve here :P
Old 01-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Philly

the engine will run without the ICV and IAT sensor hooked up, it just won't run smooth.

A cranking engine with no spark still tells me your having EWS issues. As it will crank, it just won't fire.

If both cars are OBDII then both cars should have EWSII.

Don't bother trying to use the M43 DME/etc. as it will not be the same for M44.

You didn't list having the matching keychip installed in your key... if you don't have that keychip, your not getting anywheres.

All thats needed for EWS is like I posted above... the unit from behind the glove box, the matching DME and the matching keychip. If you have all that, and everything else is connected (minus those 2 sensors you mentioned) then it should fire up.

328Ti

Last edited by Philly; 01-07-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

+1, transponder chip in the key, EWS module and DME all need to match.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
mattydont

Hey all, Thanks for the reply's guys really appreciated, however i have moved since and had to have the car moved by truck. Since trying the above, a new problem has arrisen, i cant even get it to start the start. Both the Donner car and Engine are EWSII, i have both EWSII units from the underneath the glove box and under steering column. The I have the old transponder key that was set with the engine ECU and am turning the key over with the donor bodies key. Checked the voltage to starter and at the relays (and swaped relays with new fused ones to make sure) have swapped any parts bar the EWS stuff. Kind of stuck, any idea? Cheers, Matty
Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

You shouldn't have swapped the ews module under the steering column. I'm pretty sure that that module is coded to the antenna ring around the ignition cylinder. Swap your old module back under the steering column. It should start right up.

Just to clarify, the transponder chip in the key, DME and EWS module behind the glove compartment must be a matched set. Then seprately, the antenna ring around the ignition cylinder and EWS module under the steering column are a matched set.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote