318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 996,081 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-27-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
30yrMbr

Vehicles
Default Antifreeze on the ground

Wife got home from the store in the Ti, parked it in front of the garage. When I went out to re-park it there was this wet spot where there front of the car was. At the last DS inspection, the radiator seam had been seeping a bit, it figured it was time to replace the radiator, and the rest of the cooling system components. The Ti had just (last Sept) turned 100K, so it was about time.

Ordered a new radiator, new thermostat, three new hoses, and the A/C and serpentine belt. I had a water pump on the shelf, so that was good to go. Ran out and bought a Bentley Manual for the E36 and got the car on ramps and then onto jack stands.

Turn to the Manual, and one of the first things to do is pull the front bumper, which means pulling off the two "pork chops" and the under engine cover. Then pull off the bumper trim pieces and the four nuts that holds the bumper on. So now I've got the bumper, trim pieces and the under engine cover pieces blocking the other side of the garage, and then I start on the radiator cover trim pieces, the piece covering the intake air tube and from there to the air box, all of which come out to get to the electric fan and then to the radiator.

Lining the floor with a couple weeks worth of newspapers and a couple of oil drain pans, I open the petcock on the radiator and start taking off the hoses (3). Of course the smaller of the three runs under the intake manifold and its clamp is just visible under the manifold. Got that clamp off wondering how I was going to get the new clamp replaced under there, my hands definitely don't fit.

Once the radiator is empty (mostly) out it comes and then find the drain plug for the block. More antifreeze all over the place, mostly in the pan, but lots on the floor. Soggy newspapers to clean up later on. Then I turn my attention to the thermostat, 4 bolts and it's out. Next we tackle the water pump.

I had been given a couple of 6mm bolts to use to work the water pump out, but one of them wasn't long enough to clear the side of the pump. So I figure, I can use one to loosen the pump and a pry bar to help lever it out. Guess what, that only partially works, the pump was so stuck that I broke the casting trying to get it out that way. But, on the other hand, two pry bars and a couple of blocks of wood did allow me to wiggle it out - eventually.

As I was getting ready to tackle the water pump, the serpentine belt has to come off, and that means that the A/C belt does too. So, inspect the belts and notice that the serpentine belt is not only cracked but a number of blocks are missing. Took a few pictures along the way, good thing too.

Okay then, everything is off, time to clean up the engine bay a bit, since there is great access now. Once that is done enough to go ahead, it is time to start replacing all the pieces. Water pump has large O-ring that I carefully grease a little, don't want to pinch the gasket on insertion. That goes in okay, the thermostat has a formed gasket that gets the lube treatment and start putting the hoses back on. Hmmm, how to get the one under the intake manifold. Tried several things, got the hose in place, with the clamp on it losely, but everytime I tried to tighten it, it slips away. Darn oil filter is in the way, so off comes the cover and the filter - might as well put a new one in now. With the aid of a magnet, lots of cussing and patience, the clamp finally gets tightened and we go to the next step.

Radiator goes into place, the fan gets attached to the radiator and the hoses get attached to the radiator. Water temp sender get plugged back in and the drain plug in the block get replaced. Air box and air hose gets put back in place, with a new filter (why not - it's out already). Check every thing for tightness and then put the belts back on . Rats, the serpentine belt is too short. Good thing I had some pictures to review, because the path for the belt is not intuitively obvious.

Run back to the shop for the right belt; it's 6:30 on Saturday, but he is still there and has the right belt. Back home and get that one on, in the right sequence of Water Pump, Alternator, Idler, Steering pump, Tensioner and main pully. Then the A/C belt and I can start adding antifreeze and distilled water (gallon of each in hand). Darn belt is too short too. But now it is really late, so the old belt gets pulled out of the trash can and it is reusable, at least until I can get a new one.

Slowly added the antifreeze and then the water, leaving the bleed screw loose to let the air out of the system. In goes a gallon of antifreeze and nearly a gallon of water, check the Bentley, it takes 6.9 quarts of fluid so I must have it all topped up.

Run the engine until it comes up to temp, add a little more water and I am good to go.

Clean up the tools, the car, the floor, throw out the soggy newspapers and then realize that I have done every thing for an oil services but the oil, so the drain pan goes under the car and 6 quarts of oil later, All done.

It is now most of the way through the second day of working on the Ti, and I realize something very important. There is now way I could make any money as a mechanic. This is probably a three hour job at most, and I spent about 15 hours at it.

Nice try, but I save 3hrs at Standard Shop Rate which is close to $300 bucks.

Last to do is replace the bumper and trim pieces and road test. It is running fine, so to treat her, I have ordered a new set of Kuhmo SPT's (225/45x17 and 245/40x17).

Would I do it again? Sure, next time I have a couple of days with nothing better to do.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/54...27_clipped.jpg
30yrMbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:14 AM   #2
pdxmotorhead

Trick I use, SAVE your antifreeze jugs, that way you can pre-mix to exactly the ratio you want. Glycol can be amazingly corrosive if its out of spec. I also end up with a partial jug of premix for topping off as needed, and its in the correct jug for storage.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:47 AM   #3
dave45056

Have you seen this DIY? I didn't have to take off the bumper when I did mine, and this DIY was great.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...water-pump.htm
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:50 AM   #4
Mad-Machine

yea.. I can see no reason to remove the bumper at all.
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
aceyx

Um, for removing the radiator? If you're doing a lot of work behind there, might as well so you're not bent over something the entire time.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
30yrMbr

Vehicles
Default Bumber off?

Removal of the bumper was suggested in the Bentley manual. IIRC, there are some E36's with an electric fan attached in front of the radiator, so that might be the reason. I found it helpful to have it out of the way, since I don't have a lift.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/54...27_clipped.jpg
30yrMbr is offline   Reply With Quote