318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Wheels and Tires

Notices

Wheels and Tires Discussion of different brands of tires, sizes and wheels.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,009,522 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-03-2006, 02:34 AM   #1
L84THSKY

Default Original Tire sizes

I did this search on TireRack.com. They say these were the stock sizes for a non Sport model Ti, is this correct?

I knew about the 205/60/15, but not the 185/65/15.

I'm thinking of buying snow tires for my original steel rims. Then I would have snows on the steels, all seasons on the alloy 15's and summers on the alloy 17's.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:41 AM   #2
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Looking at my 98 brochure.

Base 185/65R15
Active 205/60R15
Sport 225/50ZR16
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:20 AM   #3
CirrusSR22

It's good that such narrow tires "work" on the ti. Great in the snow, but better yet, cheap! I have 195/65-15 Blizzak WS-50s on mine. They were free, so I couldn't complain about the wrong tire size.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
L84THSKY

I just swapped onto my stock 15" alloy wheels. My wheel bolts were pretty rusty, and not easy to get out. I put some anti-seize compound on the bolts, and put them back in.

Anyone know where I can get new plastic inserts for my 17" rims? These are rings that sit between the hub and the rim to make non BMW rims fit correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
Looking at my 98 brochure.

Base 185/65R15
Active 205/60R15
Sport 225/50ZR16

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 12-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
aceyx

Spacers? I'm not sure you should be using plastic for that part.

FYI, all suggested tire sizes are printed on the inside of your driver door, along with recommended pressures.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:18 PM   #6
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
I just swapped onto my stock 15" alloy wheels. My wheel bolts were pretty rusty, and not easy to get out. I put some anti-seize compound on the bolts, and put them back in.
I don't think it's a good idea to use anti-seize on the bolts. I usually use anti-seize on the center portion of the hub and the rear of the wheel that touches the rotor. Never had a problem removing my snows that way.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 12-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to use anti-seize on the bolts. I usually use anti-seize on the center portion of the hub and the rear of the wheel that touches the hub. Never had a problem removing my snows that way.
Same here, I only apply anti-seize on the portion of the hub that makes contact with the wheel surface. Try using some penetrating oil on the bolts and threads, just enough to remove and keep out any moisture.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #8
L84THSKY

I use anti-seize on the threads of my spark plugs. Damn, it's getting cold, I hate to have to remove all the bolts, and clean the anti-seize off now.

I did have some anti-corrosion grease, that I used on my battery terminals.

What's gonna happen if I leave the stuff on, the bolts may loosen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
Same here, I only apply anti-seize on the portion of the hub that makes contact with the wheel surface. Try using some penetrating oil on the bolts and threads, just enough to remove and keep out any moisture.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 12-03-2006, 11:03 PM   #9
L84THSKY

I don't know if you remember way back when, but I had trouble with my 17" Rial rims when I first mounted them. It turned out that I was supposed to use the plastic spacers that were supplied with the new rims.

The plastic spacers work fine, but they could use replacing. Have you seen any new ones made of metal, or any other material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx View Post
Spacers? I'm not sure you should be using plastic for that part.

FYI, all suggested tire sizes are printed on the inside of your driver door, along with recommended pressures.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 12-03-2006, 11:39 PM   #10
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
IWhat's gonna happen if I leave the stuff on, the bolts may loosen?
I don't think they will fall out but recheck the torque from time to time. My guess is they may loose up slightly.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 12-03-2006, 11:42 PM   #11
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
I use anti-seize on the threads of my spark plugs. Damn, it's getting cold, I hate to have to remove all the bolts, and clean the anti-seize off now.

I did have some anti-corrosion grease, that I used on my battery terminals.

What's gonna happen if I leave the stuff on, the bolts may loosen?
Anti-seize is fine for spark plugs. Just keep an eye on your lugs, maybe check them in a couple weeks. I'm sure they'll be fine and long as they are torqued to spec.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:57 AM   #12
L84THSKY

As a matter of fact, I did torque them to spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
Anti-seize is fine for spark plugs. Just keep an eye on your lugs, maybe check them in a couple weeks. I'm sure they'll be fine and long as they are torqued to spec.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 12-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
aceyx

Alloy spacers (assuming we're talking about the same thing): http://www.performancealloys.com/all...el_spacers.asp

It's not that I have anything against plastic, but I think it's definitely the wrong application here. The hats of the rotor transfer heat through the hub and wheel (which is why your anti-seize is necessary with a steel hub, alloy wheel and various thermodynamics). If you put plastic between here . . . it's just not a good combo. We'll leave it at that.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #14
L84THSKY

These are not spacers like you mentioned, here is a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx View Post
Alloy spacers (assuming we're talking about the same thing): http://www.performancealloys.com/all...el_spacers.asp

It's not that I have anything against plastic, but I think it's definitely the wrong application here. The hats of the rotor transfer heat through the hub and wheel (which is why your anti-seize is necessary with a steel hub, alloy wheel and various thermodynamics). If you put plastic between here . . . it's just not a good combo. We'll leave it at that.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 12-04-2006, 04:16 PM   #15
aceyx

Can't say I've ever seen those before. Who makes your wheels?