318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,309,433 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 405,381 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-05-2007, 12:02 AM   #1
ipswich318ti

Default How to:=- Fit a 1 series badge to a E36

How to:=- Fit a 1 series badge to a E36
I did this mod about a month plus back and people been asking how I did it, so I'm doing this little write up.

this mod will only work if you have a boot popper wired up and working. It will not work if you don't have one.

parts:=-
you need 1,2,3,4,5 and 10

tools:=-
Some thing to cut the boot away. I used a dermal multi tool
T20 torx for the new badge

The E36 badge is 89mm in diameter, which is the same diameter of the hole that is needed for the badge.
The boot is twin skinned; you need to cut away the outer skin. Make sure it is round and 89mm. do not make it bigger or egg shaped as it will fcuk it all up really.
Once you cut a way the outer skin to make the hole you should be left with this.

MESSAGE ME FOR MORE INFORMATION
ipswich318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:03 AM   #2
ipswich318ti

In the above pic you should be able to see the 2nd skin I was talking about.
Cutting the 2nd skin is no way as easy as the outer skin.
I made space for the cutter to get in there the best I could and cut as big hole as I could.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:05 AM   #3
ipswich318ti

The badge is heeled to the boot buy the cage. Number 3 on the link.
You need to make sure that the cage can mount on to the outer skin very flat. The problem I had was some of the inner skin was stopping the cage. That's why there is such a big messy hole.

Once you made the outer hole the right size. A little bit tight is not a bad thing. It helps with keeping it in place when trying to mount the cage on to the back.
There should be 3 torx bolts on the back of the badge, loosen theses off as much as you can. Don't take them out it makes the fitting even harder.
Push the main badge in to the hole and get it all lined up and looking right. You don't want to be driving around with a wonky badge.
You need to get the cage and line up the torx bolts with the holes in the cage, once all lines up and throw the holes. Turn the cage and it should then lock on to the back of the badge. You can then do the bolts up.

Don't forget to put the o ring (2 in the link) on the back of the badge once it is fitted in the hole. If you do it the way it does not work. There is all ready a seal on the back of the badge to help stop the water going in to the boot.

That's it for fitting really. Don't think I left any thing out.
Once it's all done this is what you should be left with

For wiring up the badge to the popper, I'm still working on that. But thanx to JohnW who points out a relay that will help stop the badge from being on all the time. I'll sort that write up out later.

Any questions of any thing PM.
AxiosUK@hotmail.com

Old 03-05-2007, 12:19 AM   #4
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich318ti View Post
For wiring up the badge to the popper, I'm still working on that. But thanx to JohnW who points out a relay that will help stop the badge from being on all the time. I'll sort that write up out later.
As I mentioned in my write up, I had to solve the same problem to keep the console, central locking switch from popping the trunk when the car is locked. Search for the word "theft", twice.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:39 AM   #5
L84THSKY

If I didn't want to add a trunk release, but wanted the latch to lock and unlock with my car alarm, can that be done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Firestone View Post
As I mentioned in my write up, I had to solve the same problem to keep the console, central locking switch from popping the trunk when the car is locked. Search for the word "theft", twice.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:01 AM   #6
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
If I didn't want to add a trunk release, but wanted the latch to lock and unlock with my car alarm, can that be done?
Since that new latch and the existing latch are both mechanical, I would thing you'd need an actuator to pop the boot open.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich318ti View Post
As I now recall, BMW has already done in the Z3M coupe, exactly what you want to do in yours, using the car's existing ZKE and no other parts.

I don't know if your 325i has a ZKE or if the Z3M electric trunk button requires a ZKE with newer software than what is in yours.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #8
3DGE

this is a very interesting, if any ti guys do this please tell me if my 95 will be able to do the same.
3DGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:08 AM   #9
318iS

so its just a mechanical flap instead of a push button to open the boot ? ? ?

does it still lock with the central locking even tho the push button with the key hole is gone ? i imagine the actuator stays intact ?

interested in doing this... looks cool.....
318iS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:18 AM   #10
John Firestone

If it is the part I have seen, the rear badge is just a big, floppy, tilt switch. Newer BMWs have electromechanical trunk releases. You would have to retrofit your own electromechanical actuator, couple it to the existing, mechanical trunk release, wire your retrofitted actuator to the floppy, badge switch (plus an electrical lockout) and have your actuator actually pop the trunk.

I think we are all singing different verses of the same song.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #11
318iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Firestone View Post
If it is the part I have seen, the rear badge is just a big, floppy, tilt switch. Newer BMWs have electromechanical trunk releases. You would have to retrofit your own electromechanical actuator, couple it to the existing, mechanical trunk release, wire your retrofitted actuator to the floppy, badge switch (plus an electrical lockout) and have your actuator actually pop the trunk.
ah damn it...

sounds a bit complicated ? ? ?

im not as good as i should be with the ol' electrics...
318iS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #12
John Firestone

If the other E36 ZKEs are like the Z3M coupe ZKE, you would only need to get power for your added actuator from the ZKE and then run:
  • a wire from the rear badge switch to the glovebox area and splicing it to the ZKE
  • a wire from the other side of the switch to your actuator
  • and the other side of your actuator to ground.
Then, again, it could prove more complicated if your ZKE doesn't output the signal you are after.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #13
Philly

great mod.. looks sweet!!!

totally off topic, but would that wing fit on the TI? anyone?

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #14
L84THSKY

Maybe I'm confused. All I would want is to have the same functions I have now, but with the roundel latch, instead of the push button. Can't the roundel latch be wired to stay locked when the car is locked, and releasable, by hand, when the car is not locked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
Since that new latch and the existing latch are both mechanical, I would thing you'd need an actuator to pop the boot open.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #15
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
Maybe I'm confused. All I would want is to have the same functions I have now, but with the roundel latch, instead of the push button. Can't the roundel latch be wired to stay locked when the car is locked, and releasable, by hand, when the car is not locked?
Are you saying that when you disarm your alarm the hatch doesn't unlock? Mine unlocks both doors and the hatch. I still have to manually push the chrome hatch release in to get it to open.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote