318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Anything other than automotive related.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 974,591 Views
View Poll Results: Have you been in an Earthquake b4?
Yes 74 64.35%
No 41 35.65%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-03-2006, 03:00 AM   #1
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Default Who's been in an Earthquake?

Just wondering if anyone has been in an earthquake before. I know people on the west coast would most likely be in more than the east coast but just wondering who's been in one.

I was in my 1st one about 2-3 weeks ago when i was in Hawaii and hopefully that will be the only one for a long time.
If you have list where you were and maybee when if you recall.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:07 AM   #2
Panzer_M

We had one that was in the center of the gulf a few weeks ago..it was like 9-10am..and I was on the couch watching the news...thought I had a seizure more than a earthquake being in florida....never been in a quake before. It was more weird than scary.
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:08 AM   #3
1996 328ti

Vehicles

I felt a slight tremor when I lived in NY but wouldn't consider it an earthquake.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:13 AM   #4
angel318ti

I even remember it even though I was just 6 years old when I lived in Puerto Rico. Not much more than a 2 in the richter scale. But still a sight to remember. does anyone remember tha earthquake during the world series between the Giants and the A's. I was watching that game when it happened.
angel318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:21 AM   #5
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

The one that hit Hawaii when i was there was a 6.6,i think it's the biggest there since 73. Go figure it happens when i'm on vaca out there.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

Old 11-03-2006, 07:06 AM   #6
Budget M3

June 28, 1992, ~5:00am on a Sunday, Landers Quake about 40 miles from my home at the time in SoCal ~7.3 @ ...felt like NFL linebackers on each corner of the 4 post bed picking it up and dropping it about a foot off the floor. As if that wasnt't bad enough, it was followed 2-3 hours later by Big Bear Quake ~6.4 and only 1 mile from my home. Both were my first quakes...VERY unnerving when furniture is flying around, things are falling off the walls, freeways are collapsing, etc...at least you can see other natural disasters coming....

http://seismo-watch.com/EQSERVICES/N...8.Landers.html

Aftershocks from both of these major quakes persisted for months...some as high as 5+ on the Richter scale which is considered a major event anywhere except in Cali. By comparison, I've since "endured" a 3.1 quake in Maine a few years later which was merely interesting after having the living $#!^ scared out of me and my family in 1992...
Old 12-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #7
SDKmann

Yep, first one in Iowa in like 100 years. Just big enough to freak out the dogs and wake me up.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:39 AM   #8
Mad-Machine

I was visiting my Grandparents up in Reading Pa when the big quake hit the "Reading prong" fault line.. cracked their front porch right off of the house. There was not much to feel at first.. just this aweful noise that sounded more like a locomotive coming down the street and then real quick shake
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:56 AM   #9
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

My brother told me last week in Hawaii had an aftershock from the earthquake when i was there. He said it was a 5.2 and lasted about 10seconds.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:17 PM   #10
FastMarc

Where lucky there are now earthquakes here in Holland
It’s a scary thought that the earth is moving under jour feet
FastMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:33 PM   #11
bmwracerchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M View Post
We had one that was in the center of the gulf a few weeks ago..it was like 9-10am..and I was on the couch watching the news...thought I had a seizure more than a earthquake being in florida....never been in a quake before. It was more weird than scary.
wow when was this? I didnt feel anything here and I live off the coast of the gulf of mexico, thats scary. We have a fault here in florida but all the sand that creates florida actually cushions us. wooo!
Old 12-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #12
pnosker

We had a 4.5 earthquake a couple of years ago. The epicenter was 5 mi away from my house, but all that happened was a book I had standing up with pages open fell over.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #13
slow_in

Yeah... I was on the 11th floor of a hotel in Japan when one hit.... I woke up and it felt like the room was rocking back and forth (not an unusual experience, given my drinking patterns while on business in Japan)... then I realized that my big plastic bicycle travel case was banging against the wall and stuff was falling off of the desk in the corner.... Now I drink a lot, but I've never been drunk enough to actually move physical matter with my inebriated mind!
Being an engineer, I did a quick cost/benefit analysis and decided I'd rather die in bed than in the hallway of some GD hotel in Japan, so I rolled over and went back to sleep.... ahh Asahi Super Dry, how I miss thee.
slow_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #14
bullmand

I mostly slept through a small one in Germany once. The epicenter was in Belgium somewhere but we had a little quiver where I was. It was enough to wake me up, but I wasn't sure what was going on. I made sure not to mention it the next day at work until I heard other people talking about it. I'm not sure I would want to be fully awake and get the whole experience. It was kinda weird.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:27 AM   #15
jaysbmw

Smile

sf califorina all my life lots of them here lol
jaysbmw is offline   Reply With Quote